PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum/dust collector

Mike N
05-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Does anyone use a vacuum/dust collector on the CW. If so where do you put it? Do you replace the dust bag with it? Does that work?

Mike

Chris Cordina
05-26-2006, 05:08 PM
I use dust collection, it works well. See pictures. The one pict shows after running a project. The only problem would be that it could interfer with a add on that carvewright plans for the future. in that case can always tape over the hole. I tried dust collection out of the side but that didn't work, too far from work.

Mike N
05-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks Chris. That looks like a great setup but I would hate to cut the plastic cover but I'm gonna have to. What addons are you talking about?

Mike

irv doty
05-27-2006, 08:16 AM
I made a dust colledctor by building a cabnet for the CarveWright that has plenum under the machine. I cut a rectangular hole in the top below the machine. I made a "gasket" between the cabnet top and the lower casting skirt on the machine. I connected my "Jet" dust collector to the plenun through a blast gate. I also removed Muffler/dust collector from the machine and connected the port to the plenum.

It worked very good on the only project that I have done since the modification. That project was a plaque on pine using only the 1/16 ball nose bit. I plan to make anouther run today. Will let you know and take some pictures.

Irv Doty, Houston, TX

Chris Cordina
05-27-2006, 04:41 PM
They are planning on a duplicator of some sort , anyway something is planed for that shelf. I figure Ill use it this way untill whenever. It beats all that sawdust interfering with sensors and rollers.

ditchdoc
05-30-2006, 10:57 AM
I went to Sears and bought one of their tool stands (about 40 bucks) and put an mdf top on it with a four inch hole cut in the center of the board. I then screwed a dust collection adapter on the underneath side of the board with which I can attach my vacuum hose. I put the machine on the top, centered over the hole. About 70 percent of the dust is drawn out the bottom. I have a small portable Craftsman dust collector which runs at about 110 cfm. This does an adequate job of removing most of the dust and the hose is out of the way. I'm sure a more powerful system would do even better. If you buy one of these tool stands, you will have to beef up the legs with some braces at their bottom ends. The sheet metal is a little flimsy for the weight of the machine. I also added casters which allows the machine to roll around.

Bill
12-20-2006, 03:42 PM
ditchdoc;
You say
about 70 percent of the dust is drawn out the bottom Does the CarveWright machine have an opening in the bottom for the dust/chips to fall out or to be drawn out from with a dust collector ? do have any pics. you can share of the way you have your dust collector set up?
Thanks .. Bill.

ditchdoc
12-20-2006, 04:07 PM
The carvewright machine is pretty open on the bottom. There is no dedicated dust port there. I just attached an angled collector hose adaptor to the bootom of my mdf top and center the machine over the hole. When my vacuum is turned on, enough air current is produced to draw the dust out the bottom. Sorry, I don't have pictures. 8)

ramlin
02-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Bill,
I can't seem to find the dust collector you talk about. Do you
know the model number and name. This is the size I would
like to use on the CW I am going to buy. Also how big is
the unit?

Thanks

menewfy
02-07-2007, 04:57 PM
is it able to creat enough suction to pull it out of the machine or are you just getting what falls thru?

I like the concept though thanks for sharing

menewfy
02-07-2007, 05:45 PM
be careful not to blow into the compnents youa re trying to keep clean so you dont get an error. but by all means let us know how it turns out.

David M.
02-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Here is my solution, a work still in progress. The box is made up of 2 chambers, the top chamber, that the machine sits in (also doubles for sound surpression, being fully carpeted inside, less the floor, and ventilated on the top, back) Then the bottom 4" chamber (below the floor of the machine) also has a similar cut down the middle matching the machines opening in the bottom. A simple foam tape gasket finishes it out. The dust collector hose will attach to a hole cut into the back of the bottom chamber. I don't have the dust collector yet so the bottom chamber hasen't been fitted yet, as well as the door for the top, the side openings will have sliding doors with a simple wingnut setup.

The ventilation in the back seem to be enough to keep the temp well within range of comfort for me and the machine. And once I get the dust collector going that should eliminate any residual heat. This also knocks out about 50% of the noise made, possibly more depending on how well I fit the door and sides.