PDA

View Full Version : merging pattern and adding a raised edge.

ckrantz
11-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Thank you all for looking at this. If you have a spare minute, I would really appreciate it if you adjusted my original to reflect the correct answers that I cannot seem to find. This way I can see how the settings were placed.

1 - merging pattern to sign body:
As you see there are 4 filagrees that meet the main oval in various places. Is there any way to tell the software that the oval is untouchable so there isn't carving into the oval? If the design has to "give" it will give on the filagree and not the main part of the sign? I'm really not to the level of this intricate yet, so thank you in advance.

2- adding a raised edge. You'll see the oval that is the main body of the sign. Its just one solid oval and I am not too happy with that. I would like to add a raised lip that is .25x.25 that follows the oval around. This is common in house signs. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to add something like that.

MCGEE2SKINNER
11-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi
Just merge additive then `no feather

JIM

Kenm810
11-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi ckrantz,

I looked at it a little,
pushed and pulled the text a bit and added a Oval ring
that I made from a circle.

Just a Maybe ----

cnsranch
11-06-2009, 12:17 PM
This is the way I'd do it (but i can't get two of my paths to cut out).

ckrantz
11-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Thank you both!

Kenm810 - did you actually make a pattern that is an oval?

cnsranch
11-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Here's one...

ckrantz
11-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Ahh I like the new oval pattern much better. Here is my final design.

Also if you like it, please feel free to keep a copy for your own use. I think it looks better with the draft and smaller outer ring.

PCW
11-06-2009, 01:34 PM
That is one classy sign.:)

cnsranch
11-06-2009, 02:08 PM
It'll look great, ck.

I'd think about adding medium draft to the address lines (small's better than none, but you're risking chip-out), and make sure you increase your bit optimization in Designer to "Best" on each element of the carve (regardless of what you set it at when you upload it.)

Kenm810
11-06-2009, 02:19 PM
ckrantz,

looks Good, Nice Job
Please post photos when it's finished

Ps. I've had the pattern of the (circle --oval) for a while
I might have made it, -- can't remember for sure.

ckrantz
11-07-2009, 05:55 PM
so i started the carve today and its my first real carve. My others have been cutouts. I had to pause because its getting late. The carving seems a little rough right now. Does anyone know if it will make a second pass and clean it up a bit? i had it set on normal. with bit opt. set to best.

cestout
11-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Did you carve it at "BEST" and then use a mop and minimops.
Clint

seabass
11-08-2009, 01:06 PM
He stated he carved in normal. I have never made a carving in normal so I have no idea how they come out. Everything I have read always said carve in at least best so I always have. It seems the time jump from normal to best is not that much, but from best to optimal adds loads of time(at least on the patterns I have checked).