PDA

View Full Version : Hinge Help!

c6craig
11-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi All,

I have a (long) question about hinges. I am terrible at hand chiseling out the hinge mortise for boxes (lids) and don't trust the various router jigs I have seen for this use. Well let's say I don't trust my skill to use them, I'm sure they are wonderful. :)

So I found some very cool hidden barrel hinges. Not a great acheological find I realize, but new to me. I thought that these are the perfect solution for me, drill out a hole, drop of glue, turn the set screw, bada bing = classy looking brass hinges finished in a flash.

Problem #1.....They all call for millimeter size drill bits. 1/2 hinge calls for 10mm, 3/4 hinge calls for 14mm. So I used the conversion chart to get as close as I could and a 9/16" bit fits the 3/4 nice and snug but without having to pound it in. My problem now is that the 3/4" hinge takes a pretty big hole. I might be OK if the bits I had were squared off on the bottom but they are rounded, which takes away valuable usable depth. I can't find drill bits in 10mm and 14mm, do I need them or am I ok with the closest match?

MY MAIN QUESTION....So I realize that 3/4" hinges are meant to be used for 3/4" wood, but will the 1/2" hinges be strong enough to support it? This will give me the smaller holes to make it fit.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to explain it all right...I am making one of the NeoClassical Keepsake Box's with 3/4" black walnut. The only thing I have done is change the lid around a bit to customize it for someone. It's heavy wood and took alot of work so I hate to experiment on it....

These are the hinges:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001076/10375/Non-Mortise-Hinge-(1)--For-34-Panels.aspx

Any advice appreciated....

Thanks,
Craig

seabass
11-05-2009, 08:23 PM
10mm Forstner bit: http://www.acetoolonline.com/CMT-10mm-FORSTNER-BIT-p/cmt-537.100.31.htm

You can get any bit you need here. Use a little Forstner bit for a flat bottom.

Use one or two more of those 1/2" hinges than you would if you used a reg 3/4". I think one more may be doable for your project and will be plenty strong.

mtylerfl
11-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Thank you, Craig, for the link to those cool hinges!

Thank you, Seabass, for the link to the appropriate drill bits!

I believe I'm going to have to try those!

c6craig
11-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Seabass -

That's perfect, thank you! I think I will try as you suggest. 3 of the 1/2 inch hinges, set in the normal corners and one more in the middle for the extra support.

Thanks for the link, those are just the bits I need!

Here's hoping...:)

Craig

c6craig
11-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Just placed the order! I will also be going up to Jacksonville this weekend for a vendor open house at Woodcraft, so if I get lucky they will have one or two I can grab there to feed my jones while the shipping dept does their thing :)

Thanks again,
Craig