PDA

View Full Version : Goo on new bits

hogiewan
11-05-2009, 11:12 AM
I got the smaller bit set (the one without the edge routing bits) and they all have a solid waxy goo on them. I suspect I should get that off before using, but how?

fwharris
11-05-2009, 11:15 AM
I got the smaller bit set (the one without the edge routing bits) and they all have a solid waxy goo on them. I suspect I should get that off before using, but how?

It should just peel right off.

atauer
11-05-2009, 11:21 AM
The goo on the bits is there to help protecting the cutting edges during assembly and shipping. It will come off relatively easy. Just put on a glove, grab the goo and pull. It should flake right off.

I have also seen people use the bit in the machine with the goo on and the speed shoots the goo off the bit. Not sure of any side effects that may occur though.

hogiewan
11-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I was scared to remove it by hand because I accidentally brushed my finger lightly on the 1/8 cutting bit and got a deeper-than-expected cut. I will pull it off with gloves (which I wear every time I handle the bits now).

Deolman
11-05-2009, 08:31 PM
These prior posts are once again a reminder as to how sharp the bits are and how easy they can cut without discrimination. For my protection and the bit's protection, I use tubing on every bit I can.

Kenm810
11-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Deolman,

I totally agree, -- a few pennies worth of clear vinyl tubing can protect your bits and fingers! :wink:

chebytrk
11-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Deolman,

I totally agree, -- a few pennies worth of clear vinyl tubing can protect your bits and fingers! :wink:

Dude! Why you got to be so neat with your tools ? :mrgreen: shhhhhh.. better not let my wife see this pic :D

hogiewan
11-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Dude! Why you got to be so neat with your tools ? :mrgreen: shhhhhh.. better not let my wife see this pic :D

That was my first reaction to that pic as well

Kenm810
11-06-2009, 08:18 AM
LoL,
Must have something to do with wanting to find my tools and stuff when I need them. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif
Besides my Shop is about the last place you would ever find my wife!

Kenm810
11-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi Doug,

Yep, -- I have a couple top of the line flammable liquids storage cabinets for my combustibles with Explosion proof vents. (Bought them at Granigers tools)
I had a flash over in my shop a few years ago, when one of the old style gas ceiling unit heaters came on and ignited a combination of
MDF dust, spray contact adhisive, and lacquer thinner fumes.
Luckily no one in the shop but me, and no real damage to the shop or myself, but -- it did leave me a little wide eyed for an hour or two afterward.
It was amazing to see, but even once was more than enough for me. The cabinets were set-up the following week,
along with new unit Heaters and Negative Pressure Air System that can exchange all the shop air every 10 minutes.

Chief
11-09-2009, 01:16 AM
Hi Doug,

Yep, -- I have a couple top of the line flammable liquids storage cabinets for my combustibles with Explosion proof vents. (Bought them at Granigers tools)
I had a flash over in my shop a few years ago, when one of the old style gas ceiling unit heaters came on and ignited a combination of
MDF dust, spray contact adhisive, and lacquer thinner fumes.
Luckily no one in the shop but me, and no real damage to the shop or myself, but -- it did leave me a little wide eyed for an hour or two afterward.
It was amazing to see, but even once was more than enough for me. The cabinets were set-up the following week,
along with new unit Heaters and Negative Pressure Air System that can exchange all the shop air every 10 minutes.

Ken,

As a professional firefighter for 37 years and a chief officer for 20 years in a major American city, I can tell you that you are one lucky man and should count your blessings. I try to buy water-based....... anything. If not water-based, I check to see which flammable liquids. Most flammable liquids give off vapors, which are the real problem, and it's the explosive range that's important. People don't give enough attention to the ordinary hazards of our shops. While most gases have a narrow explosive range, you have to progress from lean to rich to escape the explosion but it's that small range that's deadly...... and I mean just that.

I once had an incident in the 80s where a man dropped a 1 lb propane cyclinder in his basement. It broke the valve and the hot water heater, just a few yards away, was the source of ignition. Fortunately he was so close to the source of ignition that he escaped the intense pressure caused by the rapidly igniting propane. The explosion broke all windows on all 3 floors of the house and push a rear entrance 6 inches away from the main building, pulling away from all of the nails. He was 82 and suffered nothing more than dirty shorts simply because he was very close to the point of ignition. Had he been on the first floor, it probably would have killed him. I'm talking about your 1 lb propane bottle, not that 20 lbs behemoth that's used for your backyard BBQ grills.

Chief