PDA

View Full Version : Question About the Rock Chuck

DStimpson
11-05-2009, 10:33 AM
First, to all those trying to remove their old style chuck to replace it with a new one or a rock chuck....the method to apply heat using a 25 watt soldering iron WORKS GREAT!!!!!! I had to remove the tip to make the iron short enough, but after inserting it up into the chuck... plugging it in....waiting 25 minutes....BINGO!!! A couple of light jerks on the wrenches and off it came!!!! Way easier and much safer than any "open-flame" method.

Anyway, on to my question.

When using the rock chuck on a project employing more than one bit type, how do you change bits during the machine bit registration process at the beginning of the carve and then reinsert them to the same depth when the bit change happens during the carve??

I have the RC installed, but it seems to me that I can slide the bit into the adapter pretty far.......so hence my question. Is there something I am not understanding??

David S.

Digitalwoodshop
11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Congratulations on your UPGRADE to the ROCK !!!!

First you can go 2 ways with a project using more than one bit....

Invest in something like the locking rings like I use or shrink tubing or epoxy. They all limit the depth installing the bit so it always the same depth. This will not give you the Refind Error later in the carve.

OR.... You can go without any ring or anything to limit the depth and just put it ANYWHERE.... When the machine calls for the bit the SECOND time just before cutting it will give you an error message. Length not the same..... Refind or Continue.... It has been found that if you just select Continue it will use the latest depth or length and cut just fine.....

The trick is to NEVER lock the Rock on the FLAT spot of the bit.... With my rings it is a NO BRAINER... Always GOOD.... With NO Ring you need to be AWARE of the FLAT Spot and NEVER LOCK ON IT....

2 reasons why..... 1 it can put a BURR on the ROCK Lock Nut and 2 the Bit can COME LOOSE....

Good Luck,

AL

DStimpson
11-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the quick reply........

I have actually had the RC for many months, but due to various reasons, I just yesterday got it installed. I am really looking forward to getting down to business and carving some long overdue projects!!!

Do you have any info on where I might find locking rings for the shaft of the bits??

Thanks again...

David S.

dbfletcher
11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the quick reply........

I have actually had the RC for many months, but due to various reasons, I just yesterday got it installed. I am really looking forward to getting down to business and carving some long overdue projects!!!

Do you have any info on where I might find locking rings for the shaft of the bits??

Thanks again...

David S.

David,

Please have a look at this thread.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12538&highlight=rock+collar

I would try it with out the collars at first. and if you have issues try collars. I know there are several of us on here that went out and bought collars... but now I just skip the collars all together. I beleive Ron Justice (maker of Rock) no longer uses collars either.

Doug Fletcher