PDA

View Full Version : Question about the machine (pls help)

Howzah
11-05-2009, 02:42 AM
I'm making a case and I need to know if this machine can do internal (cutting) convex cuts with a lip?

Is that possible? I hope so~)

hogiewan
11-05-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm making a case and I need to know if this machine can do internal (cutting) convex cuts with a lip?

Is that possible? I hope so~)

The machine can to any shape within it's size restrictions.

Do you have a picture of what you are describing to help clarify?

Digitalwoodshop
11-05-2009, 09:46 AM
The short answer is NO the machine cannot cut a recess under a lip. The bit can reach down only 90 degrees to the table. No down and turn 90 degrees carving under a lip. You could possibly tilt the piece but with a .8 carving depth most likely would not work.

Cutting the depth and gluing a lip of wood on the top would be your ticket to do this.

AL

hogiewan
11-05-2009, 11:07 AM
now I get it - you would need a 5-axis CNC to do that. Big $$$!

You could do a 3D model of what you want and, with the right slicing strategy, carve out multiple layers, possibly using double sided carves

seabass
11-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Digital what about using a different bit? Move down and over and a slot cutting bit could do it.

If a slot cutting bit can work safely with the machine is the question

Pratyeka
11-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Digital what about using a different bit? Move down and over and a slot cutting bit could do it.

If a slot cutting bit can work safely with the machine is the question

The problem with the CW is you cannot tell the machine exactly how you want the bit to move. You need a CNC router.

Or you could try a 2 sided carve.

Howzah
11-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I appreciate the replies so far

Basically I wanted to make a wooden case for my cellphone and was also thinking about making a wooden case for my laptop.

Is that possible?

PCW
11-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Yes as long as you get familiar with the machines limits and the design software. This machine is capable of doing things that have not been displayed here yet. If you look at some of the members finished products they are just amazing. Check out liguidguitars.com (http://liquidguitars.com/) for a good example of what the machine can do. You will find the answer to your question there.:mrgreen:

This forum also is the best link a person has to success with this machine.

I think we are just scratching the surface of the machine capabilities and the end result will be on your capabilities. The machine relies on user interface and can only be as good as the person programing it.

It likes to be clean and it has took a liking to the Rock chuck. Link to both in my signature.

In my opinion the software is worth half the cost of the machine. It is second to none as far as simplicity and user interface.

TIMCOSBY
11-06-2009, 11:25 PM
trial software and see what it can do. also look at the galley of pics to see what members have done.