PDA

View Full Version : Making Boxes, vases, and dishes -

robbrigg2
11-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Ken,

I know I have greatly enjoyed your work with different boxes, and dishes. I know you have explained how the curve of the dishes is made. But could you help me understand how boxes are made? Sounds stupid I know but I've not made my own design and I want to ensure I don't miss a step.

When you want to make a round box that stands up say 3 - 4" and you are cutting it out of .5 pine how is it done? What if you want to have a tapered effect (almost like a bottle) can it be accomplished? If so how?

Thanks

Robert

chebytrk
11-04-2009, 01:42 PM
We need to talk Ken in to doing a video type tutorial like AskBen does. :D

dbfletcher
11-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Ken,

I know I have greatly enjoyed your work with different boxes, and dishes. I know you have explained how the curve of the dishes is made. But could you help me understand how boxes are made? Sounds stupid I know but I've not made my own design and I want to ensure I don't miss a step.

When you want to make a round box that stands up say 3 - 4" and you are cutting it out of .5 pine how is it done? What if you want to have a tapered effect (almost like a bottle) can it be accomplished? If so how?

Thanks

Robert

This sounds like a great example for using 3D modeling and the stl importer. You could design the bowl/dish in true 3d dimensions, and then just use the stl importer to create your "slices". Of course if you dont have the stl importer, I'm sure Ken will come up with some reasonable way of accomplishing this without the stl importer.

Doug Fletcher

robbrigg2
11-04-2009, 02:40 PM
We need to talk Ken in to doing a video type tutorial like AskBen does. :D

Amen to that...

DB

I like what you are saying... I am working night and day to get better with 3d and until I can selll a little more of my projects I can't afford the stl (with probe of course)OLOL

James RS
11-04-2009, 04:20 PM
This sounds like a great example for using 3D modeling and the stl importer. You could design the bowl/dish in true 3d dimensions, and then just use the stl importer to create your "slices". Of course if you dont have the stl importer, I'm sure Ken will come up with some reasonable way of accomplishing this without the stl importer.

Doug Fletcher

I played around with a simple cup in Moi and sliced it there and made a Heightmap of it using carvepic and brought it into CW. Just playing around here's a ptn

Kenm810
11-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Hi guys,

I just walked in to my Den to check what's new on the forum, and found these posts.
Hmmmm --- Boxes, --- What Boxes?, --- am I loosing marbles? Can ya give me a hint?
I'll be Happy the draw something up for you --- and me,-- you're going to have to give me a day
to dig something up and check my files too. What size or shape might ya be looking for. :cool:

Kenm810
11-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Some place to start,
Here’s a Basic Wooden Jar, 4” round and 4” tall in ½” increments,
each level can be made of alternating Species or Grains of Wood.
After layers and Base are glued up the top can be attached with a hinge,
or in this case ¼” Rare Earth Magnets.
The drill hole in the top level of the Jar are an 1/8” deeper than in the lid,
so the magnets will extend slightly in to the Jar’s top lip to align the Lid of the Jar.

I'll look into the "tapered effect" :cool:

robbrigg2
11-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi guys,

I just walked in to my Den to check what's new on the forum, and found these posts.
Hmmmm --- Boxes, --- What Boxes?, --- am I loosing marbles? Can ya give me a hint?
I'll be Happy the draw something up for you --- and me,-- you're going to have to give me a day
to dig something up and check my files too. What size or shape might ya be looking for. :cool:

Hey Ken,

Really any kind. I am starting with a simple circle, but would love to be able to do something that slowly curves up (almost like a bud vase). I'm just trying to push my envelope a little, and thought you'ld be the guy to ask.

robbrigg2
11-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I played around with a simple cup in Moi and sliced it there and made a Heightmap of it using carvepic and brought it into CW. Just playing around here's a ptn

Thanks James, I will try this one soon.

James RS
11-05-2009, 03:56 AM
You're welcome at least I can try and help someone out as I don't have much time for carving right now

James RS
11-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Here's one with thicker sides

PCW
11-05-2009, 07:45 PM
James,

Looks like it will carve just fine. Thank You

cestout
11-08-2009, 12:27 AM
You can always cheat and clamp the thicker walled on in your lathe and turn/sand it to a taper.
Clint