PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing CW

LakeJake
11-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi- I am considering purchasing my first CW- Sears has a reconditioned compucarve available at quite a savings- should I stay away from the reconditioned one and go with new- please help- want one desperately!
Jake

seabass
11-04-2009, 12:32 PM
I waited for a sale and got a Sears Refurbished unit for less than 899.99.

I do not regret it at all, it comes with a 180 day warranty and return for any reason in the first 30 days. I liked it so much I got another. That is two for the price of ONE new one. To me I am better off as I can scavenge parts off one if I have to and still it was the same or less money than a new one with a 5 year a warranty. I will never send the unit in.

If you are the type of person to send the unit in and not want to repair yourself maybe a new one would be better.

I recommend the refurb because I have had a good experience, plus when I got my first one I just could not afford a second. The refurb looked and worked the same as a brand new one.

If it is between a refub or nothing becasue of cost get a refurb!

bobtom
11-04-2009, 12:35 PM
I purchased one in June of this year, and have
had no problems with it.

Have not had to repair/replace anything, so I don't
know how they honor the warrenty.

Bobtom

LakeJake
11-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks a bunch- will be looking forward to all the help I can get!
Jake

Shacky
11-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Personally, I did not buy the refurbished because I wanted to buy the 5 year warranty available only on the new one. But, which ever one you buy, be aware that ad leaks of Sears Black Friday ad show that all bench tools will be 20% off.

chebytrk
11-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Also, be aware that if you purchase a new CW thru Sears, not to wait til the end of the 1 yr warranty (like I did) before you decide to buy the 5 year warranty as it will cost more when it's one year old. I had the option of a extended 1,3 or 5 year warranty and took the 5 at a cost of about $500. They said if I took the 3yr and after that wanted to extend out, it would cost more cause the machine is older.

Shacky
11-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Also, be aware that if you purchase a new CW thru Sears, not to wait til the end of the 1 yr warranty (like I did) before you decide to buy the 5 year warranty as it will cost more when it's one year old. I had the option of a extended 1,3 or 5 year warranty and took the 5 at a cost of about $500. They said if I took the 3yr and after that wanted to extend out, it would cost more cause the machine is older.

When I bought my machine last month I bought the 5 year in-shop warranty (meaning they come to me) for $295.

chebytrk
11-04-2009, 02:41 PM
When I bought my machine last month I bought the 5 year in-shop warranty (meaning they come to me) for $295.

That's great! I just called Sears and asked why my 5yr warranty is costing so much ($584.00) compared to a new machine and was told is because mine is 1 year old this month and if I had purchased it on the day of purchase I would have received a discount. Oh well...... lesson learned.

cnsranch
11-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Hope I'm not stepping in a puddle :rolleyes:

If you buy a refurbished unit with some kind of warranty, and you use the heck out of the machine in that short amount of time (say, 90 days) I think all the problems you're gonna have are gonna arise in that 90 days.

That's not to say you won't have a problem in the future, but I've got to believe that a "manufacturing" problem - one that's already lurking, will crop up pretty quickly.

I bought mine new from LHR, 'cause I'm basically a coward. But, if I were gonna get a second unit now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb'ed one, or even one used - I'd like to think I could handle any problems with a used one now that I have some time under my belt.

OK you guys, did I step in the puddle?

chebytrk
11-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Hope I'm not stepping in a puddle :rolleyes:

If you buy a refurbished unit with some kind of warranty, and you use the heck out of the machine in that short amount of time (say, 90 days) I think all the problems you're gonna have are gonna arise in that 90 days.

That's not to say you won't have a problem in the future, but I've got to believe that a "manufacturing" problem - one that's already lurking, will crop up pretty quickly.

I bought mine new from LHR, 'cause I'm basically a coward. But, if I were gonna get a second unit now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb'ed one, or even one used - I'd like to think I could handle any problems with a used one now that I have some time under my belt.

OK you guys, did I step in the puddle?

Heck, I didn't want that $584 bucks anyway...... call it a contribution to the STIMULUS PACKAGE ! :-D Another Lesson learned this year. That makes 2 !

Ike
11-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi- I am considering purchasing my first CW- Sears has a reconditioned compucarve available at quite a savings- should I stay away from the reconditioned one and go with new- please help- want one desperately!
Jake

Jake there are several good threads just in this section on how to find the best prices. I went though www.sears.com and to the outlet section and joined the website signed in and did a search of all the stores in the USA. I found a reconditioned CC for $750.00 in Ohio. I live in Calif. so the shipping was $35.00 and tax was $61.87.

I just got the machine today and I was thrilled the story on the CC was a person bought it and used it once and it wasn't what he wanted and returned the CC.

I gave the unit a good look over it has an updated Z truck and scanning port that was good! I did notice on the hood in the back the holes around the screws were broke. Not a big deal a little plastic. Then all the accessories were in their original packages the only thing opened was the software CD.

Then I turned it on checked the cut motor hours and it had only 20 minutes. All new machines come with 20 minutes so that meant this machine was never used! That was great! I thought well maybe he scanned something? Nope zero hours. I did need to clean the machine of the packing grease just as you would need to with a new machine! Plus there was a little saw dust but it must have been from the factory test!

I have been using all day without a hitch! This is my 4th machine I have bought I sold one and one is a part machine. But I have CW I bought new and the other two are CC I bought new and the 4th is the reconditioned!

I am happy I bought this reconditioned, but the thing is you don't know what you are getting. If the reconditioned CC is a display I would say don't buy it! Unless the display is under a protective display that the shopper can not touch. Or a kid can sit and crank the head up and down until it is messed up! Ask hesstx about his experience about his display unit. The best thing was they sold it to him as a new machine and he bought an extended warranty. So he may be getting a brand new CC from Sears and at the very least this one will be repaired and he paid less then $500.00 for the CC plus the cost of the warranty.

I suggest you do want ever your pocket book will allow! I wanted another machine and the boss (wife) told me I could not buy a new one so I was nervous about a reconditioned CC. But after hearing positive stories from other members and basically getting a new CC for $750.00 I am satisfied!

Bottom line is try to get the story on the machine and I will bet the machine was returned because the owner failed to learn how to use it and had a minor issue and returned the CC!

You will find this is a great forum and you will always have help with any issue with the CC/CW. Not to mention you will get a kick out of what this machine can do for you!

Ike

chkorte
11-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Well I've been reading all the posts and searching the web and looking over the machines on Sears outlet site and finally made a decision. All the posts talking about the machines were interesting. Most of the comments led me to believe that the purchasers of the refurbished CC machines were OK with thier machines but that they primarily bought them instead of new because of price. A valid reason. Some of the comments flat out said that if money was not a concern they would have bought a new machine. I also found a lot of reviews that were not so favorable about Sears extended warranty service on the CC. In the end I ordered a new CW. I'm lucky because money was not a concern. I have also ordered the scanning probe and the rock chuck. If I'm going to jump into this I maght as well do it right. While I'm waiting for my machine to get here I'll keep reading and playing with the carvewright design software. I was using it today and found out that I can download the patterns from my scroll saw files and convert them to carve wth the CW. I'll let everyone know how things progress. Thanks to Ike and everyone for the advice.

Ike
11-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Well I've been reading all the posts and searching the web and looking over the machines on Sears outlet site and finally made a decision. All the posts talking about the machines were interesting. Most of the comments led me to believe that the purchasers of the refurbished CC machines were OK with thier machines but that they primarily bought them instead of new because of price. A valid reason. Some of the comments flat out said that if money was not a concern they would have bought a new machine. I also found a lot of reviews that were not so favorable about Sears extended warranty service on the CC. In the end I ordered a new CW. I'm lucky because money was not a concern. I have also ordered the scanning probe and the rock chuck. If I'm going to jump into this I maght as well do it right. While I'm waiting for my machine to get here I'll keep reading and playing with the carvewright design software. I was using it today and found out that I can download the patterns from my scroll saw files and convert them to carve wth the CW. I'll let everyone know how things progress. Thanks to Ike and everyone for the advice.

Well alright glad to hear you bought a new CC with all the goodies! Now you need to get centerline converter that is a must in my opinion. I think you made a great decision going with new. I wanted another machine and could only convince the wife to with the refurbished. Otherwise I would have bought a new one! But getting this one and having zero hours of use I am sooo happy!

Don't worry we are all here to help you learn how to use the CC and I will help anyway I can! I make some patterns so I can help there too or PCW does a great job and shares like I do! Plus there are several great artist who have patterns you can purchase that are well worth the little they charge!

Ike

Shacky
11-04-2009, 06:54 PM

As a new user myself, I would suggest one other must have. The dust; both airborne and accumulations in the machine are crazy-you need to plan on some dust collection. There is another thread nearby on the subject, check it out.

RandyG
11-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Personally, I did not buy the refurbished because I wanted to buy the 5 year warranty available only on the new one. But, which ever one you buy, be aware that ad leaks of Sears Black Friday ad show that all bench tools will be 20% off.

Is the CW covered under the 20% off?

fwharris
11-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Is the CW covered under the 20% off?

Randy,

It should be covered just like you were paying full price. Only thing that changes is the $$$$.