PDA

View Full Version : how to leave surface untouched?

olkarch
11-03-2009, 02:22 PM
I am trying to carve a simple line drawing image. It is imported and inverted so the lines are carved as grooves. When it carves it shaves off the top surface of the wood. How can I get it to carve the grooves, but not shave the surface?

Olin

DocWheeler
11-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Olin,

Perhaps the simplest method would be to place something like a playing card on the board when the machine "touches" for height.

hogiewan
11-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Olin,

Perhaps the simplest method would be to place something like a playing card on the board when the machine "touches" for height.

what is the pattern? can you post your mpc?

olkarch
11-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Olin,

Interesting way to trick the hardware, but I feel there should be some software switch I am missing. Anyone know of some way to raise the cut about 1/64th of an inch in Designer?

Olin

olkarch
11-03-2009, 03:59 PM
what is the pattern? can you post your mpc?

I'm a bit hesitant because it's a corporate logo.

Olin

dbfletcher
11-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm a bit hesitant because it's a corporate logo.

Olin

If it is a raster carve, I am pretty sure you can put another "carve region" on top of it.. and set the depth ot zero. I think you then use additive merging. I know this has been covered in other posts.. but that is what I am remembering. You also may have to group the two carve features.

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
11-03-2009, 05:08 PM
As said above, it is a Raster Carve.
Your best bet is to place it on a slightly larger board, and place a cut-out around the pattern. This will assure that you get the benefit of the raised area of the Logo.

If you use a spacer/shim, for the bit to touch prior to the carve you will loose some of the raised effect.
AskBud

olkarch
11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
As said above, it is a Raster Carve.
Your best bet is to place it on a slightly larger board, and place a cut-out around the pattern. This will assure that you get the benefit of the raised area of the Logo.

If you use a spacer/shim, for the bit to touch prior to the carve you will loose some of the raised effect.
AskBud

Thanks for help from all of you. Now I've a bigger problem. The x-drive stalled out and I find there are at least three teeth broken on one of the gears. Why do breakdowns always happen when there is a deadline? (Don't answer that)

Olin

TIMCOSBY
11-03-2009, 05:31 PM
background in the picture. if there is anything there it will carve just a hair off. remove background in a photo editing prog and it should be o.k.

hogiewan
11-03-2009, 06:31 PM
the problem is that the pattern is not at full white (or black) on the parts you want to leave untouched.

PM me and I'll send you my email if you want help without putting the logo up for anyone to download