PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lock Up

mostlycold
11-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Picked up a problem child from another forum member, but won't cry in my beer (our yours) about it, knew I took that risk when I bought it unseen and am willing to tear it down and learn how to fix it. First problems were today the truck locked to the right side of the machine (couldn't budge it by hand). Then noticed the chuck wasn't moving up and down very well (tight by hand as well but did move). Shut the machine off and then tried to force the truck (I know...) and it made a really loud clacking sound but still barely budged (left to right). As the power stayed off, it got easier and easier to move until about 5 minutes later, the truck and the chuck were both moving very freely. Repeated this situation several times with the power on would hardly move at all by hand, and as the power was off for several minutes it got easier and easier until both were moving freely.

On my good machine, I tried a carve for the first time using the newest software release and couldn't get passed the the board sensor errors,roller errors, and check board errors . Had a large piece of poplar (11"x48") and after reading a bunch posts, figure that the stock wasn't straight, cupped, twisted, and was slightly wider at one end, also noticed that after it came to the end the board would slip up at an angle as it came out from under the roller (and found that the Oring was missing as well, guessing that's probably why all the errors. Read some good tips about the wheels underneath as the one time I actually got the board to start carving the sandpaper rollers wouldn't advance the board, so after I clean up the board, will look at those gears next.

If I'm not completely annoying everyone, I will continue to post for help on the problem child as I get further into the tear down and problem resolution. I live in Alaska and there is no support up here and the postage would exceed the value of the machine in short order, so the talented folks in this forum are my only source of instruction.

Thanx for any help you can provide,
Dan

hess
11-02-2009, 04:39 AM
Picked up a problem child from another forum member, but won't cry in my beer (our yours) about it, knew I took that risk when I bought it unseen and am willing to tear it down and learn how to fix it. First problems were today the truck locked to the right side of the machine (couldn't budge it by hand). Then noticed the chuck wasn't moving up and down very well (tight by hand as well but did move). Shut the machine off and then tried to force the truck (I know...) and it made a really loud clacking sound but still barely budged (left to right). As the power stayed off, it got easier and easier to move until about 5 minutes later, the truck and the chuck were both moving very freely. Repeated this situation several times with the power on would hardly move at all by hand, and as the power was off for several minutes it got easier and easier until both were moving freely.

On my good machine, I tried a carve for the first time using the newest software release and couldn't get passed the the board sensor errors,roller errors, and check board errors . Had a large piece of poplar (11"x48") and after reading a bunch posts, figure that the stock wasn't straight, cupped, twisted, and was slightly wider at one end, also noticed that after it came to the end the board would slip up at an angle as it came out from under the roller (and found that the Oring was missing as well, guessing that's probably why all the errors. Read some good tips about the wheels underneath as the one time I actually got the board to start carving the sandpaper rollers wouldn't advance the board, so after I clean up the board, will look at those gears next.

If I'm not completely annoying everyone, I will continue to post for help on the problem child as I get further into the tear down and problem resolution. I live in Alaska and there is no support up here and the postage would exceed the value of the machine in short order, so the talented folks in this forum are my only source of instruction.

Thanx for any help you can provide,
Dan

Dan
1st the motor that runs the bit across the rails will Normally be stiff or hard to push / move across while the unit is powered on and sometimes just plugged in this is because once power is on the motor gos under load as the unit has to know where the bit is. when power is off it takes time for the motor to lose its hold and once it does it should move freely
2nd Noise roughness may have some of that under power but not much and none after power has been off awhile should be smooth. if not clean the rails and the belts and lube the rails

3 tracking roller o rings are great for being pushed up back under the black metal plate. take a small 90 deg pick and carefully fish for it and bet it is there pull it back in place , Check to make sure your sand paper belts are not curling under/over the metal on the sides

if the o ring is out of place expect tracking errors. if the O ring is gone they are sold at auto parts stores I would really bet yours is there you just dont see it I kept changing mine on both units after they would break after one carve only to find I was double stacking them Good luck and remember You may be a long ways out but as long as you have internet this forum is better than reg service most of the time