PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree Candy Dish

STEAM
11-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Seeing Michael's leaf dishes inspired me to try making a two sided carve.

c6craig
11-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Tim,

That's an awesome idea! Everyone loved the pumpkin one that was posted and of course the Leaf project.

I hope to see some of the pattern and design experts help you to perfect it and maybe even a few different versions!

Thanks for posting this!

Craig

RayTrek
11-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Hello Tim,

What a really great Idea I am most likely going to carve this one.
I made some changes to your MPC.
My reasons are; with the depth at .750 on the top/front side of carve the edge out line will leave no support to the board and will fall out before you get to the cut out phase. So I put taps on the back side carve, and on the front- with the connect lines tool I put in a carve region set to 0 depth, I then removed the cut path and assigned a 1/16” bit path set at 0.050 depth that will be a vector cut and should cut threw with the taps holding it to the board. Only the carving bit is required for this set up.
These are just my thoughts and the way I will carve it, maybe some one else will step in with how to pierce cut out.
Thanks again for the MPC and a very cool pattern.
Good day ~ Ray

Wilbur
11-02-2009, 09:28 AM
I love this!! If machine ever gets fixed we will try it.

Dolores

STEAM
11-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the help Ray.
Even though I have had my CW for two years I haven't had much time to use it. I have a lot to learn about Designer and seeing how others set up patterns is helping me learn. Thanks for the directions on how you redid this one.

STEAM
11-02-2009, 12:35 PM
I love this!! If machine ever gets fixed we will try it.

Dolores

Thanks Wilbur. I hope you get your machine back soon and in time to make things for the Holidays.

JMD
11-02-2009, 04:21 PM
I thought this looked good, so I carved it. I am too new at this to really say anything, but I think it could be a little deeper and the pattern rout at the end could be a little deeper. Had to usw band saw to cut out.

STEAM
11-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I thought this looked good, so I carved it. I am too new at this to really say anything, but I think it could be a little deeper and the pattern rout at the end could be a little deeper. Had to usw band saw to cut out.

JMD
I agree with it needing to be deeper. That's one thing I haven't figured out how to do. Your carve looks good though.

JMD
11-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Thank You for the kind words. Didn't want to be too crticila, just an opion. I hope to someday add something to the forum. And thanks to all who pyt your pattrens for us to see.

RayTrek
11-03-2009, 08:43 AM
JMD,

Looks Great in your picture, I can see I did not put to much time into the design as I can see the carve region at the top, I was trying to show a method to not having the pattern fall out and did not see that it was set to high at 0 this MPC is set to 0.010 leaving the original top of carve but will carve beyond the tool path I also changed the tool path depth to 0.100.
The depth of the dish out needs to be changed in the pattern editor I believe, unless KenM can do it- I have seen him do some things that I did not think possible.
I may start over on a different tree for fun but I do like Tims design.
I am still learning also I hope to never stop learning
Work is Play ~ Ray

Digitalwoodshop
11-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I did not have any luck opening the zip file...

AL

dbfletcher
11-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I did not have any luck opening the zip file...

AL

Thats odd, i downloaded and it opened fine for me.

And the MPW to boot!! Now if we can just convince everyone else to post the mpw when they "really want to share without restriction" on here!

Doug Fletcher

Kenm810
11-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Maybe a refresher course on Compressing and Zipping mpw files,
might help some folks get things started doing it.

gwizpro
11-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Ken, Can you make the Christmas tree plate bigger and deeper.

I would, but don't know how. So I ask the Master....

Kenm810
11-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Sure, ---Taller, Shorter, Wider, Thinner, Shallower or Deeper.

When the Owner releases the pattern as a mpw file, He is allowing you to modify it to your Needs. :wink:

By the way Thank you Tim (nu2carvin)

Woodhacker
11-03-2009, 07:38 PM
I also took the MPW file and made a deeper carve with it. As I am pretty much restricted to 3/4" wood, I only made mine .5" deep. And only changed the front. When ya have the MPW file and PE, you can change anything in the pattern. Thank you for sharing your skills.

And thanx to nu2carvin for coming up with the original idea.

I am continuing to learn...both from the "old-timers" and the newer folks.

Digitalwoodshop
11-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Tim even sent it to me.... After spending 3 hours putting together a Fire Tag quote I tried to open it and still nothing.....

Just saw the new post and tried to open it too... I Unzip it and then try to open the file and CW opens but a blank just the opening screen of CW.

I will mess with it tomorrow.... Midnight... Quittin' time.... Still doing something wrong.... The non zipped file opens fine in the post above.

AL

Shacky
11-03-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm hoping this eventually gets posted as a ready to carve project. I would like to carve a couple.

c6craig
11-03-2009, 11:06 PM
I agree, I would love to see this get posted something like the ready to carve leaf project (POM). Unfortunately I am no where near skilled enough with designer to do it. If someone makes it I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for the pattern....

Craig

Digitalwoodshop
11-03-2009, 11:09 PM
OK.... Couldn't let the Puter Kick my butt just because it was Midnight.....

Looked back in the posts and it's the small details...... MPW

If I load that Pattern Editor disk sitting next to my computer then I bet I will be able to open this post....

Is that what I missed....?

AL

Edit: WOoooo... That disk was a old version of Designer.... from 2005..... Noooooo...

I need to find the Probe box and disk..... So I need to load the pattern editor to read a .MPW?

dbfletcher
11-03-2009, 11:50 PM

If I load that Pattern Editor disk sitting next to my computer then I bet I will be able to open this post....

AL

Edit: WOoooo... That disk was a old version of Designer.... from 2005..... Noooooo...

I need to find the Probe box and disk..... So I need to load the pattern editor to read a .MPW?

Yep.. I guess that is the big downside to mpw... you do need pattern editor. But at least it does allow everyone to make changes as they see fit(if u have pattern editor). And of course this only makes sense if the author truly just wants to "give" the pattern away. In a PM earlier, I suggested that the author could always use a modified GNU type license that states it can be used in anyway the user see fit BUT can not be SOLD for profit. Ie.. it has to stay in the public domain. Very similar to how open source software has always been. Perhaps the best thing would be posting in both formats.. the ptn and mpw.. that would cover all bases.

Doug Fletcher

fwharris
11-04-2009, 12:04 AM

AL

Al,

You can do the "import image" in designer to view an mpw. Same thing as making that image a pattern..

dbfletcher
11-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Al,

You can do the "import image" in designer to view an mpw. Same thing as making that image a pattern..

Can you explain how you did that? I tried on mine with v. 1.153 and when a I select an mpw file from "import image", it said "The file your selected is not a recognized graphics format"

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

fwharris
11-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Can you explain how you did that? I tried on mine with v. 1.153 and when a I select an mpw file from "import image", it said "The file your selected is not a recognized graphics format"

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

All I did was go to the "file tab, down to import and then import image file".

Did you do it with the zip file here or one of your own mpw files?

I will try doing it with the zip file here. Might be something to do with who made the mpw, but it seems that I have always been able to bring mpw files into designer to make a pattern..

OPPPS!!! MY BAD, I WAS NOT LOOKING AT THE FILE EXTENSION AN IT WAS A PNG EXT. LIVE AN LEARN!!!!

BRB

PCW
11-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Just a thought. The only flaw I see using a mpw file for free pattern sharing is that the files name can be changed. It would be nice to allow other to edit a mpw file but not the title.

My fear is that something that was intended to be free could end up on someone website and into a shopping cart. Just by simply renaming the file. The money is not the issue for me because I'm not into designing for the money.

For now I will use ptn format and use my user name in the file and if someone whats a edit just simply let me know. Hopefully in the future LHR will address this issue.

How do you feel about this?

dbfletcher
11-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Just a thought. The only flaw I see using a mpw file for free pattern sharing is that the files name can be changed. It would be nice to allow other to edit a mpw file but not the title.

My fear is that something that was intended to be free could end up on someone website and into a shopping cart. Just by simply renaming the file. The money is not the issue for me because I'm not into designing for the money.

For now I will use ptn format and use my user name in the file and if someone whats a edit just simply let me know. Hopefully in the future LHR will address this issue.

How do you feel about this?

Just curious... but what do you mean by not allowing you to change the name? Even with any of the ptn's i have downloaded now, i am able to rename them either before or after I import them to designer.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

PCW
11-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Good Morning Doug,

I guess it is just the concept that bothers me most. It would just be nice to see some protection to insure that a free file will always remain free for all to use and not able to be resold.

Bowengg
11-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Good Morning Doug,

I guess it is just the concept that bothers me most. It would just be nice to see some protection to insure that a free file will always remain free for all to use and not able to be resold.

Have to agree with you 100%

Ike
11-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Good Morning Doug,

Dan, first off thank you for all your patterns you have shared! As you may know or not? I am a big fan of sharing patterns and have seen some of the patterns re-shared.

I know what you mean about free patterns, I have given all my boys new vehicles and if they want to sell them it is theirs to sell! Same as if they bought the vehicles. I believe a gift is just that it becomes the person property it was given to.( I say this to make my point!)

But when you give a gift of a pattern and a person takes the gift to resells and it becomes a copied righted non transferable or resell-able that is not right!

No on the other hand some people have the same resources we have to make the same pattern. I was given a pattern like yours from another member via e-mail of your running horse with a beach ocean background. I was given this pattern about 6 months ago. This member uses the same software you use.

Another example is the "Last Supper" pattern you can buy this pattern from a couple different source or get it free from the forum. All the patterns for sell have been remade by the sellers from either scanning the platter the free one came from or hand made by the seller. One maker is Vector Art 3D and I know James Booth and he would never use a shared pattern. Plus the other sellers of this pattern would never do this.

So I agree 110% it is WRONG to take a pattern you have made and change the name and throw it in their store to sell! If anybody has done this shame on you! I don't have to worry about my patterns!!

Again I appreciate all your quality patterns I know the software you use to make them and it is costly. That said, I also appreciate those who sell patterns too. I know that some use software in the price of $8000 and up with $1200.00 a year license fees. It makes me wonder how they can sell their artwork so cheap!

Anyway I wanted to point out that not all are pirating patterns and in fact have found the same source we have and made the same pattern. But you can feel good they can buy the pattern or get it free from you and others who share! Sharing Rocks! Plus to those who sell patterns your prices and patterns ROCK!

Ike

Ps I noticed the zip files and revised files of the pattern showed only the front and this is a double sided pattern. Well the zip in the pattern editor does show both sides but the back has a lip around it.

seabass
11-05-2009, 07:27 PM
It's not wrong if the giver agrees to it.

From my point of view in this economy anyone that I give anything can do what they want with it.

I hope you guys are not stretching this to say if the pattern was a gift a project made with that pattern should not be sold. It almost sounds like that.

I do agree that getting a pattern free and then re-selling the pattern is shady and I would never do it, but if I made a pattern and the person I gave it to asked "could I re-sell this pattern", then I would say go for it.

It does take time to collect patterns and someone that just drops in may not have the wherewithal or even want to look for a free pattern. They may want to pay for the files because it's simpler, understanding the fee was for the act of finding, collecting, storing, uploading and downloading the file to them.

I do think if someone sells a free pattern they should state they received the pattern free and the file could be found on the net free in other places.

I have gone through 250,000 pages of this web forum and have found about 1900 unique patterns, my software is still running, but there are not many more, yet. I would be glad to make one 1.0 G file and make it available for download if anyone thinks they want all those.

Downloading each and everyone of those files took me many, many hours even with my Grabber software and a 65 MB connection. I am glad to give it free, but I could see how someone would want money for their time of collecting a group of files like that. I am sure my wife will say I wasted two days sorting through doubles, etc and then giving all the work away. Heck, I have not even started to rename files because about half the names mean nothing. Please name your files so they represent what the file is, so much simpler. I will not rename the files, but add on to the name only so the original file name remains. I will change the names for myself, but anyone I give the files to will have to take the files with the original name used on this web site and then look at them to find out what they are.

If the forum decides I should just post a link of course I will give out this collection free, but when you give someone something they should be able to do whatever they want with it, UNLESS you specify before giving it out that it can not be re-sold. To my knowledge that is not normally done on this web site. I ask that anyone that gets this collection not resell any of the plans as NONE of the plans are mine, just off this web site. I have no way of knowing what the author of each files wants in terms if redistribution.

Does anyone want the 1879 ptn and mpc files I have from this web site to date? Or you could download them and if you have a phone line connection I will see you in about a week!

Ike
11-05-2009, 08:24 PM
It's not wrong if the giver agrees to it.

From my point of view in this economy anyone that I give anything can do what they want with it.

I hope you guys are not stretching this to say if the pattern was a gift a project made with that pattern should not be sold. It almost sounds like that.

I do agree that getting a pattern free and then re-selling the pattern is shady and I would never do it, but if I made a pattern and the person I gave it to asked "could I re-sell this pattern", then I would say go for it.

It does take time to collect patterns and someone that just drops in may not have the wherewithal or even want to look for a free pattern. They may want to pay for the files because it's simpler, understanding the fee was for the act of finding, collecting, storing, uploading and downloading the file to them.

I do think if someone sells a free pattern they should state they received the pattern free and the file could be found on the net free in other places.

I have gone through 250,000 pages of this web forum and have found about 1900 unique patterns, my software is still running, but there are not many more, yet. I would be glad to make one 1.0 G file and make it available for download if anyone thinks they want all those.

Downloading each and everyone of those files took me many, many hours even with my scrubber software and a 65 MB connection. I am glad to give it free, but I could see how someone would want money for their time of collecting a group of files like that. I am sure my wife will say I wasted two days sorting through doubles, etc and then giving all the work away. Heck, I have not even started to rename files because about half the names mean nothing. Please name your files so they represent what the file is, so much simpler. I will not rename the files, but add on to the name only so the original file name remains. I will change the names for myself, but anyone I give the files to will have to take the files with the original name and then look at them to find out what they are.

Of course I will give out this collection free, but when you give someone something they should be able to do whatever they want with it, UNLESS you specify before giving it out that it can not be re-sold. To my knowledge that is not normally done on this web site.

Does anyone want the 1879 ptn and mpc files I have from this web site to date? Or you could download them and if you have a phone line connection I will see you in about a week!

I think Dan's concern is others taking a shared pattern change the name and put it into the pattern store to sale and yes without permission.

It used to be if you posted a purchased pattern in a mpc format you could save that mpc and you would get a store pattern for free. Also you could take a shared or purchased pattern and edit it and then rename and reformat and save it, then give or sell that pattern. Then they change it to stop this.

Now with shared patterns you can download them rename and simply resell them. If they are in a mpc format then anybody can edit that pattern, rename it and resell it.

What I was saying that not all the patterns he has seen for sale may be his pattern he has shared. I know we can have the same source and from that source make a pattern the same as he had shared. I gave the example of the running horse he recently posted. I was given that pattern by another member about 6 months ago. They both use the same software, it seems that both found the same model for a pattern The only difference my pattern has a beach and ocean background.

As forth to using patterns purchased or shared we are allowed to use them for gifts or products we sell.

Ike

PCW
11-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks to both of you for your views and I do appreciate them. The only point I was trying to make is I don't hold nothing back from anyone and you have what I have.

I just want to see free patterns stay free. If I give a pattern away make all the money you can carving it or share it with your friends and family that doesn't bother me in the least. It will most likely make me feel better.

gwizpro
11-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Dan, Great design and I for one really appreciate it. All points are well taken, now can we get on to some more really great designs. I think this thread will loose it's purpose if we keep talking about the moral and legal issues involved. State em and move on....... Let's enjoy what we Love to do....... CARVE ON!

Ike
11-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks to both of you for your views and I do appreciate them. The only point I was trying to make is I don't hold nothing back from anyone and you have what I have.

I just want to see free patterns stay free. If I give a pattern away make all the money you can carving it or share it with your friends and family that doesn't bother me in the least. It will most likely make me feel better.

Put my foot in my mouth again! I guess I should just keep it shut or my 2 fingers that is!

I just wanted to share what I found out the hard way about a pattern. I saw one for sell that was shared on the forum. So I brought it to the sellers attention and come to find out the seller did make the pattern and did not use the free pattern! Plus I agreed it isn't not ethical to take a pattern that was shared, rename it and sale it for profit.

Sorry if I was out of line or misinterpret your post. I need to get busy and not so much playing in the forum!

Ike

PCW
11-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Ike,

Not at all and that thought never even crossed my mind.:D

gwizpro
11-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Awwww Ike, your too sensitive......

Ike
11-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Awwww Ike, your too sensitive......

No not really just concern! I have issues sometimes trying put my thoughts into words! I am trying to help and end up sounding like a know it all and upsetting others!

Ike

seabass
11-05-2009, 10:30 PM
The best thing about you guys giving out plans is someone newer to the CW like myself, can look at the plan and working backwards can learn how to run designer. I basically have been doing that from day one, thanks!

The Christmas Tree design is neat and after getting the file from POM and looking at it a bunch of ideas started working in my head. The Christmas Tree plan(Joy Tree)from the POM is my favorite I think, definitely my favorite Christmas theme carving so far.

The Christmas Tree candy dish in this thread is simple, but nice too, thanks!

gwizpro
11-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Such are the perceived hazards of the written word on forum boards. We can't see facial expressions nor hear tone inflection, Maybe someday forums will be little videos of us talking to each other... NOW that would be cool.

Ike
11-06-2009, 02:20 PM
I never expected to see this much discussion about free patterns. I have to admit I understand both sides. The way I see it is if I "give away" a pattern and someone else sells it, that proves that I am producing patterns well enough to be sold. It kinda like a market study. If it sells then I may start selling some myself.
I am my own worst critic. I see this pattern as something that was easy to make and not quality enough to sell. But if someone else sells it. kudos to you.
One of the previous posts talked about how hard the economy is right now. That's the way I see it to. If this pattern can make some money for someone, go for it. I will be content in knowing I was able to help someone a little bit.
8).

Tim I am bound to put my foot in my mouth! Yes if a person can sell a free pattern that they didn't make that is the free market.

Dan said this,"I just want to see free patterns stay free. If I give a pattern away make all the money you can carving it or share it with your friends and family that doesn't bother me in the least. It will most likely make me feel better."

That summed it up for me! He enjoys making and sharing these quality patterns he could be selling very easily. But he rather give them away then sell them the software he uses is not cheap. Shoot I use Corel Draw and Paint and it wasn't cheap either!

I wanted to point out before he stopped sharing that some patterns being sold are not his. The sellers did make the pattern and found the model from the same source. I gave the example I was given the same running horse pattern by another member months ago. Last night a turkey pattern was shared made from Corel. I made that same pattern last year.

So before he stops sharing thinking someone took his gift and resold it making it now a non transferable or reusable other then being sold by them. That they may have made the same pattern using the same source.

I for one have enjoyed the great patterns Dan has shared with us and I will respect it as that a gift I can use as I want. But knowing Dan wish I will never sell any patterns I use from him!

So yes these are hard times, it doesn't mean we take advantage of someone kindness for a weakness!

Ike

seabass
11-06-2009, 02:31 PM
All one needs do is SAY: "Please do not resell my patterns".

If that was not said and the patterns were re-sold that is no ones fault. If he did ask that and the patterns were sold anyway I totally get why he would stop sharing patterns.

Still, you can give away patterns in many ways and loads of places have varying methods.

One way is a tiered method:

1) If you are going to keep it for yourself it's free.

2) If you are going to use it for a project to SELL than there is a small fee

3) If you are just going to repackage and sell the pattern a higher fee or ask for a percentage of the sales.

Yes, it would still be honor system, but many, many software and patterns are offered like this.

It is better than not sharing at all. Heck, giving out hints and help is fun and to stop sharing those great patterns has to be a bummer for the author.

I made two patterns I worked on for a project for a week. The client went with another company. Guess what, to this day those patterns and the actual item that I designed are still being sold by the woodworker my client chose to go with. That's right, he took my plans gave them to someone else expressly against my wishes and the guy is selling my stuff for two years now. You know what:

What goes around comes around, he will get his in the end, so I do not worry about it.

It still aggravates the hell out of my wife since these are 1500.00 items and she feels we should be getting a piece.

leesheridan
11-07-2009, 09:57 AM
First I would like to think those that offer up their patterns to all for free. I have in the past, and even recently was asked for a pattern I gave out but they wanted to change the settings, I gave them the png. I've even tried to up load png's to the forum only to have it changed to a ptn when posted. I would rather see someone enjoy what I offer up. I understand there are projects that are sold and have bought them myself. It was worth the price. But taking a patten that someone else gave freely is like the song "happy birthday". Some fool noticed that it wasn't copyrighted and they jumped on it and as such TV programs had to curtail singing the song or pay the jerk. It had been free for ever until someone (maybe an ACORN rep) stole from others. That's what it comes down to, stealing.
Again thank-you to all who have given of their work to our forum. It started that way and I just hope that it could stay that way. Because if you have been listed to the forum for a few years you can see the change in people and many have left and no longer post at all.

seabass
11-07-2009, 11:03 AM
You have to assume, even after you ask no one sell the plan, that somebody someday, somewhere, will. And they may not even know you ever asked that the plan not be resold. It may go through many hands and sites before a person even gets a hold of it.

If anyone left becasue they put up a plan and somebody did not listen and sold the plan anyway, that is on the person that posted the plan. You have to be internet smart and if it is a big deal for a person to have his plan sold just do not post the plan at all. It is the only sure fire way to assure what you want done with your plan is really done with it.

The best way to prevent your stuff from being used is do not post it. The internet is somewhat anonymous in that there is no face to face and things people may not normally do seems easier for them to do on the web.

I will say no one is going to get rich selling a single plan. Ask the guys that have the web sites that sell plans. It is a lot of work! The actual plan is a small part of it.

I bet for every guy that actually takes a plan and then sells it there are hundreds here that actually do not sell it and benefit from the post(to learn this hobby). So look at it from the point of view you are helping people by posting your plans. Don't let the few bad eggs ruin your helpful attitude,to many of us appreciate you and the plans you post!

You can always just email your "special" plans to people instead of posting it up on the forum if you want to keep it from getting repackaged and/or resold.

PCW
11-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Well I don't know what to think. I think I will start posting just a picture and people can make a request for the use of the file.

liquidguitars
11-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Don't feel to bad at lest your 3D database was not stolen off the backup tapes by some of your old co workers and found it way into new TV shows over the last five years by the same co workers. Now that painful and sad. :(

If i post something on the Internet I expect it to travel, but if i sell something off my site I hope it will stay with the client.

leesheridan
11-07-2009, 07:43 PM
One way to aid not just the new members but when looking for a pattern and hoping to find a free one at that. Try doing a search first. For those of us that have been around for over a year or even 6 months, someone new will ask if someone has a pattern of a flag or a horse's head, and one of the first things the older guys will do might be to say is to try a search but also give them one. For those of you that have only been around in the last year might go back and see how many ptn's and pgn's that we would give out freely. I know because I was helped by those before me. Yes I've seen the patterns that are being sold now that I'm sure are still free some where in the jungle of this forum and then on carvewright-compucarve's forum. The latter has a lot of free ptn's and I'm sure it's under used as a source. If by chance the original ptn's that were offered up for free are no longer listed or have been deleted it would have only been done by the CW people, and then that would sound like aiding and abetting for those that are stealing what was once free. The "gallery" just isn't what it use to be. It was a place that had free ptn's on most every message. Now, it's more like show and tell but don't touch. If you think I'm wrong go back and look at the early posts.

gwizpro
11-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Talk about a highjacked thread.. What about the candy dish??????

I have carved this pattern and it is GREAT and FREE......

THANK YOU

STEAM
11-08-2009, 04:41 PM
I am honestly flabbergasted that all this started over the fact that I gave away two patterns that I created completely myself. Can we please get back to what this forum is truly about. We are all here because we are creative people who enjoy working with wood and using this marvelous CNC machine that was made for we hobbyists.
If I had to do all over again I would still give away the patterns.
I have learned to use Designer and I know a lot of users are probably not as computer savvy as some of us. I share because I like too and I know many depend on our patterns to better learn their own machine.
If people object to me giving patterns away simply don't down load them. Problem solved. It is up to each of us how we handle the patterns we create. Should people sell other peoples free patterns? Not if they don't have the creators permission. My patterns I posted are free to do with as you please, I honestly see that 99.99% of forum members appreciated the gesture. Today I used a forum feature that I have only used one other time. I used the ignore list.
Nuff said.

gwizpro
11-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Way to go Tim, With ya 100%. I am trying to really learn designer and people like you give me inspiration to learn.

By the way how did you get the smooth curves in the dishalong the insode edges and onthe back side outer edges. I tried all I know and couldn't do it.

Thanks
Tom

STEAM
11-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks Tom
+here is what I start with.
First off I came across and older version of Photoshop I have had for a few years.
In photoshop I make the brush size al big as I want and use it for my circle.
Then I will create a radius gradient from the center out to the edge. I do it in black and white. I usually make slightly smaller circles inside the first one and do a gradient in the, I usually do about 5 circles this way. I then save the picture as a butmap, close photoshop.
Next I open Designer and import the picture in. I open the pattern editor and start tuning the picture. I use the soften 'Rain Drop" a lot. I will also add color where it needs it or replace one with another/ It's not a quick process. The Tree dish took me about 10 hours of work.
Depending how the pattern is looking I sometimes save it an reopen it in photoshop to fine tune it more, I have included an artwork file which you can see what I am talking about. Half of it is not softened so that everyone csn orsctice using the Pattern Editor.;

gwizpro
11-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Super Thanks Tim,

I will see what I can do

Tom

Shacky
11-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Getting back to the candy dish. I think I would like to give this a go tomorrow.

Wading through this thread, I'm not sure what files to use. Back around #15 there is a tree bottom.

Can someone either repost or direct me to the files that are ready to carve, please?

STEAM
11-09-2009, 04:07 AM
Getting back to the candy dish. I think I would like to give this a go tomorrow.

Wading through this thread, I'm not sure what files to use. Back around #15 there is a tree bottom.

Can someone either repost or direct me to the files that are ready to carve, please?

Shacky
Use the one in post #10. It's the one that Ray re-did and will most likely give you the best results. Enjoy :)

STEAM
11-09-2009, 04:09 AM
Super Thanks Tim,

I will see what I can do

Tom

You are welcome Tom.

RayTrek
11-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Hi Tim,
I used your MPW file and did this MPC with a deeper Tree Front.
I have not carved it but it looks OK in design.
Cheers ~ Ray

STEAM
11-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Hi Tim,
Cheers ~ Ray

Thanks Ray
That definitely looks a lot better. I hope to get to carve it soon.

nikki1492
11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Can someone please guide me through adapting the most recently posted pattern?

I use 8" wide by 1", generally about 0.975" thick red oak, locally harvested. I don't have a planer so I carve the rough sawn lumber. After the carve I use my plunge router on skis to plane off what was not carved. It's the best I can do for now.

I would appreciate help on this one pattern and I should be able to grasp the concept to apply to future projects.

Thank you in advance. :)

Hi Tim,
Cheers ~ Ray

Thanks Ray
That definitely looks a lot better. I hope to get to carve it soon.

TIMCOSBY
11-13-2009, 12:58 AM
and put a carve region over the entire board at a depth of .05 and not have to use the router.

RayTrek
11-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Hello nikki1492

I spent a little time this morning and reworked the tree top pattern with cleaner edges
Note; the MPC is for your board dominations you specified in your post do not carve this one on a .750 thick board with out changing the lay out.
Enjoy and have fun! Ray
PS I would carve this in optimal with Oak and how deep it is, the slower feed rat will be easier on the machine

eelamb
12-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Here is a nice pattern of the Christmas tree candy dish done by raytrek in 11/09.