PDA

View Full Version : Want To Buy A New Machine???

chkorte
11-01-2009, 03:27 PM
MACHINERYDISTRIBUTORS.COM
NEW Carvewright + router bit set + scanning probe + pattern editor + carveing and cutting bits + 2 ¼” bit adapters + vacuum bat + removal tool + memory card and programmer + designer software and owners manual + free shipping = $2179

Ike
11-01-2009, 04:28 PM
MACHINERYDISTRIBUTORS.COM
NEW Carvewright + router bit set + scanning probe + pattern editor + carveing and cutting bits + 2 ¼” bit adapters + vacuum bat + removal tool + memory card and programmer + designer software and owners manual + free shipping = $2179

Sorry about highjacking your first thread, you will find most threads end up off topic and sometimes comes back!

Anyway the price you quoted looks like a great deal and you will have everything! I have the probe, but never used it yet. The probe software I have used quite often for patterns. I have most of the bits so I never bought the set. Plus I changed my QC to the "Rock" and the bits will work with the "Rock", but then you have the bit holders and no need for them. So if you plan on changing to the "Rock" I would by pass the bit set or sell it! You can find good bit prices at http://www.eagleamerica.com/

Looks like you found a good deal and I would recommend the CW over the CC just my preference. Yet with Sears you can get the extended warranty.

Ike

chkorte
11-01-2009, 05:19 PM
I’m still reading up on the machines. The $1689 for a new CW is the best price I’ve found. I’ve looked for the other deals on the refurbished units everyone was posting but no luck. I don’t like CW’s wording in their warranty. No one ever did answer my question about the patterns I have for my scroll saw. Will the software allow me to import them for cutting with the CW? If not are there patterns available cheap or free? I’m going to see if Sears will match this price. If they will I’ll maybe order one from them and get the extended warranty. I’m definitely going with the Rock Chuck right away if I do this. I’m not sure about the scanner. Are there any other software programs that work well with the CW for doing patterns? Lots of things to think about!

Ike
11-01-2009, 05:42 PM
As forth to your scroll saw patterns I would need to see one to tell if they can be imported. If it is a compatible format that the designer takes then yes. Other software that I use is Corel Draw and Corel paint. Adobe photo shop will work also, along will others. As forth to the probe unless you plan on scanning objects to reproduce or make a pattern then it is something you can think about. The probe software the pattern editor is good in helping with patterns you make. Again something you need at first unless you think you do!

One then I believe is a must is the centerline converter as investment that is well worth it. Then down the road becoming a Project of the month member is another good investment.

In my opinion to get started I would buy the machine new or refurbished and you can find refurbished through Amazon.com and through Sears outlet store site online. Myself I would go new and if through Sears buy the extended warranty. Then next on the list would be the centerline software and then the "Rock". But I would save the original QC if you need to send the machine in for repair since the "Rock" is an after market item.

If you like upload a scroll saw pattern I will look at it and see if I can make a pattern out of it.

Ike

Ike
11-01-2009, 05:51 PM
To find a reconditioned CC through Sears you will need to register and then search for the nearest store. I found this one

Can’t print?
Write down the information below, and bring it with you to make your purchase. Mention you saw it on-line to get your discount! Store # 1417
Item: 009 21754 991 0057
Sale Price: $1,299.93
Tracking No:1417-110109-7980

HUMBLE - Sears Retail Store view on map

Store # 1417

Address: 20131 Highway 59 N Humble, TX 773382305

Phone: 2815403700

Store Hours: Mon-Fri: 10:00 AM-9:00 PM, Sat: 10:00 AM-9:00 PM, Sun: 11:00 AM-7:00 PM

I think you can find a better price, I just bought one for $750.00 plus tax and shipping was $35.00. The story on it is it was used once by the buyer they didn't like it and returned it. It has all the accessories and was never a display.

Ike

chkorte
11-01-2009, 06:24 PM
What's the $1,299.93 price? Is that for a new one? I am a registered Sears user but don't see how to search the site for the individual store prices.

Shacky
11-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Sorry about highjacking your first thread, you will find most threads end up off topic and sometimes comes back!

Anyway the price you quoted looks like a great deal and you will have everything! I have the probe, but never used it yet. The probe software I have used quite often for patterns. I have most of the bits so I never bought the set. Plus I changed my QC to the "Rock" and the bits will work with the "Rock", but then you have the bit holders and no need for them. So if you plan on changing to the "Rock" I would by pass the bit set or sell it! You can find good bit prices at http://www.eagleamerica.com/

Looks like you found a good deal and I would recommend the CW over the CC just my preference. Yet with Sears you can get the extended warranty.

Ike

What bits at EagleAmerica are compatible with our machine. I have rock and would like to get an extra cutting bit or two just in case. Do they have one at a good price?

Ike
11-01-2009, 09:38 PM
To find a reconditioned CC through Sears you will need to register and then search for the nearest store. I found this one

Can’t print?
Write down the information below, and bring it with you to make your purchase. Mention you saw it on-line to get your discount! Store # 1417
Item: 009 21754 991 0057
Sale Price: $1,299.93
Tracking No:1417-110109-7980

HUMBLE - Sears Retail Store view on map

Store # 1417

Address: 20131 Highway 59 N Humble, TX 773382305

Phone: 2815403700

Store Hours: Mon-Fri: 10:00 AM-9:00 PM, Sat: 10:00 AM-9:00 PM, Sun: 11:00 AM-7:00 PM

I think you can find a better price, I just bought one for $750.00 plus tax and shipping was $35.00. The story on it is it was used once by the buyer they didn't like it and returned it. It has all the accessories and was never a display.

Ike

Go to the outlet store function, I don't know why it has been going to a retail store?

Ike

Ike
11-01-2009, 09:39 PM
What bits at EagleAmerica are compatible with our machine. I have rock and would like to get an extra cutting bit or two just in case. Do they have one at a good price?

Check the reply to your pm!

Ike

Ike
11-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Shacky yes they do have cutting bits check this out http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v106-0202/ea_-_spiral_bits
I just realized I have a one of these bits and I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know.
Ike

chkorte
11-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Having difficulty finding these deals on Sears website. I log in, go to Sears Websites and click on Sears Outlet. When I get there I enter compucarve in the box for what I am looking for and hit search. It brings up 3 hits, 2 for machines and 1 for belts. I click on either one for the machine and the next page says discontinued and if I click on the store finder button it does nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Ike
11-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Hmm? I go to www.sears.com and then to outlets and then sign in and then type in compucarve in the search engine and it brings up the location.

Ike

dbfletcher
11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Hmm? I go to www.sears.com and then to outlets and then sign in and then type in compucarve in the search engine and it brings up the location.

Ike

Hmmm.. when i try that... it brings up the compucarve with a range for the price.. then it says click on store locator to see ones in your area.. if i do that and enter my zipcode.. it just just says none are available in my area... how are you able to see other areas?? just randomly putting in zipcodes??

Doug Fletcher

Ike
11-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Ok put in your zip code and it will direct you to the nearest store. I just did it and it brought a store in Ca. Or try a Texas store or any state you just need to try.

Good luck!

Ike

Just went from state to state by dragging across the map and found this one foe $899.00

Can’t print?
Write down the information below, and bring it with you to make your purchase. Mention you saw it on-line to get your discount! Store # 2724
Item: 009 10148 991 0749
Sale Price: $899.93
Tracking No:2724-110209-1904

Store
BUTLER - Sears Retail Store view on map

Store # 2724

Address: 101 Clearview Cir Unit 6 Butler, PA 160011584

Phone: 7242825455

Store Hours: Mon-Fri: 9:30 AM-9:00 PM, Sat: 9:00 AM-9:00 PM, Sun: 10:00 AM-6:00 PM

chkorte
11-02-2009, 06:32 PM
When I am on the outlet page there is no place to put in a zip code. When I click on select at the store finder it does nothing! I even disabled my firewall in case it was interfereing and it made no difference.

dbfletcher
11-02-2009, 06:58 PM
When I am on the outlet page there is no place to put in a zip code. When I click on select at the store finder it does nothing! I even disabled my firewall in case it was interfereing and it made no difference.

ya.. I havint figured it out either... I tried "moving" over the map.. and all i got was "no stores found" please refine selection.

Doug Fletcher

chkorte
11-02-2009, 07:04 PM
What map????????/

dbfletcher
11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
What map????????/

here are some screen shots when i do it...

Doug Fletcher

Edit: woo hoo... I'm a "member" now on this forum!! I wonder if a get a gold pin?

chkorte
11-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Never saw that screen on Sears outlet page. How did you get to it? Is that what is suppose to happen when you click on "select" at the store finder?

Ike
11-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't know about you guys!! ;) I don't what to tell you I explained how I did it and I don't have a clue why it won't work for you? I have found a place using my zip code and by using the map.

All I can say is keep trying or let me know and I will look for you. Tell the price you are looking for?

Ike

dbfletcher
11-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Never saw that screen on Sears outlet page. How did you get to it? Is that what is suppose to happen when you click on "select" at the store finder?

I guess so cuz thats hat happens when I click on it.
I just dont know how to find any stores from there... I just get the second screen all the time... refine your location
Doug Fletcher

Ike
11-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I guess so cuz thats hat happens when I click on it.
I just dont know how to find any stores from there... I just get the second screen all the time... refine your location
Doug Fletcher

Ok this is what I do 1st go to www.sears.com once there at the top right you will see "Outlet" tab. Push tab then you are in the the outlet. Then in the box what are you looking for type in Compucarve. Then it takes you to the page with all the accessories etc. Go to the refurbished CC and click more info. In select stores put in your zip and when it comes out with nothing click on nearest store.

If that doesn't work go to the map and with hand cursor move from state to state and it will show the Sears store with a big S and then it will show the stores check them and nothing deselected and try another store/ state until it shows a store with a refurb CC.

That is what I do so that is all I know!

Ike

Ok one other thing using that same hand cursor and using the + - function zoom in on a state and it will show the stores do nothing and click on the search and then it will ask if want to see the nearest store to you. So far best price is in PA for $899.00 or you can buy them for $999.00 anytime by just going to Sears and checking for a CC

chkorte
11-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks, that is pretty prcise. Now that I followed your instructions I have gotten to the same page I have been to before and when I click on the "select store" it still does nothing. I get no map or any box for a zip code. I guess I need to ask Sears why that is. Do I by chance need to belong to one of the clubs they have beside being a registered customer. Thanks for the info Ike.

PCW
11-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Ike

Your not seeing things it worked for me.:mrgreen:

Ike
11-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Ike

Your not seeing things it worked for me.:mrgreen:
Thanks PCW I am not crazy we both are!

Ike

hess
11-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks, that is pretty prcise. Now that I followed your instructions I have gotten to the same page I have been to before and when I click on the "select store" it still does nothing. I get no map or any box for a zip code. I guess I need to ask Sears why that is. Do I by chance need to belong to one of the clubs they have beside being a registered customer. Thanks for the info Ike.

I had to enter in compucarve in" what are you looking for" then you get the rest come up?

pick outlet - what you want- zip- it list store in your area or will tell you it is not found in your area

Ike
11-02-2009, 10:48 PM

You find the map when you are asked to select a zip code.

Ike

chkorte
11-03-2009, 01:14 PM
OK Ike, I got in. The problem was my computer security. Every time I clicked on select store it would ask me about displaying the non secure items. The normal response is YES. Just for the heck of it I clicked on NO and it brought me to the map page. From there I was able to search the stores. Persistence pays off. THANKS

Ike
11-03-2009, 01:39 PM
OK Ike, I got in. The problem was my computer security. Every time I clicked on select store it would ask me about displaying the non secure items. The normal response is YES. Just for the heck of it I clicked on NO and it brought me to the map page. From there I was able to search the stores. Persistence pays off. THANKS

I am sooo glad you got it to work! See I am not crazy!!! Once you find a price you like if it is a near by store I would go to the store and talk to the manager. If not call and talk to the manager, either way get the info on the CC. If it is a display I would pass on it. Unless you can look at it and make sure the head is not locked up. That occurs from raising the head too high is it a problem...? Not normally there is a hole in each post you can take a small screwdriver and back off the pressure and the head will get back to normal.

But with it locked up at the store that means most likely they left it that way and people and kids have continued to crank on it and set the head off and has given me a thought that could offset the head and break the tie rod and the post from the base.

Now I have seen displays in an enclosed plexi glass case. Now if that is the case then I would buy the machine in a hot minute! If the CC is a return ask how many hours are on the machine and the reason it was returned.

I keep forgetting a member turned this deal on to us http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Compucarve-CarveWright-Full-Bit-Set-and-3D-Probe-Set/4274237/product.html

That is a great deal for the whole set! Let me know if I can help anytime you need it! Still I would buy a brand new CW, but money is money!

Ike

hess
11-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I am sooo glad you got it to work! See I am not crazy!!! Once you find a price you like if it is a near by store I would go to the store and talk to the manager. If not call and talk to the manager, either way get the info on the CC. If it is a display I would pass on it. Unless you can look at it and make sure the head is not locked up. That occurs from raising the head too high is it a problem...? Not normally there is a hole in each post you can take a small screwdriver and back off the pressure and the head will get back to normal.

But with it locked up at the store that means most likely they left it that way and people and kids have continued to crank on it and set the head off and has given me a thought that could offset the head and break the tie rod and the post from the base.

Now I have seen displays in an enclosed plexi glass case. Now if that is the case then I would buy the machine in a hot minute! If the CC is a return ask how many hours are on the machine and the reason it was returned.

I keep forgetting a member turned this deal on to us http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Compucarve-CarveWright-Full-Bit-Set-and-3D-Probe-Set/4274237/product.html

That is a great deal for the whole set! Let me know if I can help anytime you need it! Still I would buy a brand new CW, but money is money!

Ike

I have to say I knew that for 4 4o I was not going to get a perfect machine added the warranty just is case.

You remember Ike they said the unit was not under warranty? I was told that 3 times guess what took it to the repair center it is under warranty for 12 mos from the date I got it. But still glad I got the extended on it.
They said they will know by the 12 the if They will fix it or give me a new one

anyway they do it is fine for 440.00 I will buy all them I can get like that

Funny they had never seen one at the center. they all go to a warehouse 4 miles away. She kept asking you sure we make that. I kept pointing to the name on top
So I have to wait a bit but that what the other ones are for

So when you are out there checking even if they say it is not under warranty remember the year starts from the day you pay for the unit now that done mean they might not have to do something with LHR but that is their problem not yours.

MichaelB
11-06-2009, 09:35 AM
The Sears Outlet site says they have one ***NEW*** for $599.93. It's only a 2 hour drive from me.

Looks like I'm taking a short roadtrip tonight!

hess
11-06-2009, 10:03 AM
The Sears Outlet site says they have one ***NEW*** for $599.93. It's only a 2 hour drive from me.

Looks like I'm taking a short roadtrip tonight!

if you have not done so already go to the sear ssite and sign up for the craftsman club no fee and they will have to knock off over 110.00
Make sure you get an extended warranty

Take a card with you if you have one to make sure it all come up online

if the bits are not there tell them you want them

Well worth the drive hope it work well for you

rjustice
11-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Ok this is what I do 1st go to www.sears.com once there at the top right you will see "Outlet" tab. Push tab then you are in the the outlet. Then in the box what are you looking for type in Compucarve. Then it takes you to the page with all the accessories etc. Go to the refurbished CC and click more info. In select stores put in your zip and when it comes out with nothing click on nearest store.

If that doesn't work go to the map and with hand cursor move from state to state and it will show the Sears store with a big S and then it will show the stores check them and nothing deselected and try another store/ state until it shows a store with a refurb CC.

That is what I do so that is all I know!

Ike

Ok one other thing using that same hand cursor and using the + - function zoom in on a state and it will show the stores do nothing and click on the search and then it will ask if want to see the nearest store to you. So far best price is in PA for $899.00 or you can buy them for $999.00 anytime by just going to Sears and checking for a CC

I had to see what i could get one for in my area. I would love to have another machine to work with... (new 999.93 and reconditioned 899.93) Also, Hess do you know how they determine how much they give you off with the Craftsman club discount?

Has anyone noticed that the section that this comes up under is the "Discontinued" products? Is sears discontinuing the distribution?

Thanks,

Ron

hess
11-07-2009, 12:14 AM
I had to see what i could get one for in my area. I would love to have another machine to work with... (new 999.93 and reconditioned 899.93) Also, Hess do you know how they determine how much they give you off with the Craftsman club discount?

Has anyone noticed that the section that this comes up under is the "Discontinued" products? Is sears discontinuing the distribution?

Thanks,

Ron

not sure I know that 600 gave me back 110 but I did by a 290 warranted so it that was added in around 10% maybe

They still list the new one but I do wonder if they are getting out

I will say this I have seen lots of stuff neg here about Sear and the warrenty My unit went in tues and was a total that had to be stripped to the base I got a call tonight tellinh me it is done and I get it back in the AM so that not bad hope they tested it well

new for less than 1k I would by new and just make sure you get the 5years

Wonder what happens if they DC and then can repair your unit and dont have a replacement

Ike
11-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Figured out how to defined your search, use the price filter and then it will show 2 different CC. I found CC ,listed new from $399.00 to $899.93 refurbished

Ike

hess
11-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Figured out how to defined your search, use the price filter and then it will show 2 different CC. I found CC ,listed new from $399.00 to $899.93 refurbished

Ike

Ike were did you find the 399.00 one i could use a part uinit

chkorte
11-07-2009, 11:14 AM
I found that $399 unit to. It was at a store in Kentucky. I called and asked about it. The salesman said it was a floor model display, was not in good shape and had no additional accessories with it. I hadn't bought a machine yet so I passed. Good luck

Ike
11-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Ike were did you find the 399.00 one i could use a part uinit

Hess, here is the info

FLORENCE - Sears Retail Store view on map

Store # 1730

Address: 3000 Mall Rd Florence, KY 41042-1494

Phone: 8595254589

Can’t print?
Write down the information below, and bring it with you to make your purchase. Mention you saw it on-line to get your discount! Store # 1730
Item: 009 21754 991 0763
Sale Price: $399.93
Tracking No:1730-110709-8853

To get to a list of all the CC go to the outlet, sign in then search for the CC. Once at the page you will see price filters on the bottom left. Check the $47-$921 box. Then just put in your zip and then check one store and save and close. It should take you to the page it will show you all the stores. Click it and the list should come up with all the stores all over the US.

Ike

hess
11-07-2009, 04:15 PM
well went to get mine they did not do anything to it just totaled it and it not for a great manager I would have been fu&Ked . The Salesmen was upset and said you bought it as is I says why would you sell me an extended warr if it was not going to pay the manager stepped in and as a result I am getting a brand new unit that should be here wed. Look's like Sears is only going to handle these online
so finding them in the store is going to get hard. They have 4 broke units that I made them an offer on he is to let me know next week

Another thing the manager stated was that i bought a Demo they come with the same warranty as new 1 year LHR and what ever you add. the Salesman says to the manager you cant give him a new machine for a non working one! the manger says we knew it was damaged didn't we? We still sold him it and extended warranty right?

Buy the warranty at lest it binds them to if a little closer

Ike
11-07-2009, 09:10 PM
well went to get mine they did not do anything to it just totaled it and it not for a great manager I would have been fu&Ked . The Salesmen was upset and said you bought it as is I says why would you sell me an extended warr if it was not going to pay the manager stepped in and as a result I am getting a brand new unit that should be here wed. Look's like Sears is only going to handle these online
so finding them in the store is going to get hard. They have 4 broke units that I made them an offer on he is to let me know next week

Another thing the manager stated was that i bought a Demo they come with the same warranty as new 1 year LHR and what ever you add. the Salesman says to the manager you cant give him a new machine for a non working one! the manger says we knew it was damaged didn't we? We still sold him it and extended warranty right?

Buy the warranty at lest it binds them to if a little closer

Fantastic! Good for you!! Not bad a brand new machine for less then $400.00 plus a 5 year warranty to boot! The manager was smart, the salesman must be the same one I talked to over the phone? He speaks very broken english sounded like he was from India by his accent.

I read that reconditioned machines come with the factory warranty I need to call LHR and find out? Mine was new and never was used so I was happy! But I am jealous you are the smartest!

Ike

hess
11-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Fantastic! Good for you!! Not bad a brand new machine for less then $400.00 plus a 5 year warranty to boot! The manager was smart, the salesman must be the same one I talked to over the phone? He speaks very broken english sounded like he was from India by his accent.

I read that reconditioned machines come with the factory warranty I need to call LHR and find out? Mine was new and never was used so I was happy! But I am jealous you are the smartest!

Ike

That was his he was peed off when the manger over road him

hess
11-07-2009, 10:05 PM

Ike

refubs come with 6 mos and there is a question as if you can get the extended on them

seabass
11-08-2009, 01:01 PM
There is no question. Refurbs through Sears DO NOT qualify for an extended warranty. There are cases where Sears associates have made mistakes, but it is not the policy.

Look at the web site, when online if you purchase a new CC their is a line for an extended warranty on a new unit. For the refurbs their is no option. SO the few that got away with an extended warranty on a refurb either bought in store and teh associate did not know better or got online before Sears fixed the refurbs options.

Ike
11-08-2009, 03:21 PM
There is no question. Refurbs through Sears DO NOT qualify for an extended warranty. There are cases where Sears associates have made mistakes, but it is not the policy.

Look at the web site, when online if you purchase a new CC their is a line for an extended warranty on a new unit. For the refurbs their is no option. SO the few that got away with an extended warranty on a refurb either bought in store and teh associate did not know better or got online before Sears fixed the refurbs options.

I never said anything about the extended warranty. When I was Sears site I went over the highlighted Reconditioned this is what it exactly reads.......

"What does Reconditioned mean? Reconditioned product is new product that was returned , has been tested and repaired if necessary, to meet " like new" mechanical specifications. Product may have some cosmetic damage. New Product warranty still applies.

So new product warranty does that mean 1 year or 200 hours with LHR? I know Sears is only 6 months.

Ike

Chief
11-08-2009, 05:49 PM
I never said anything about the extended warranty. When I was Sears site I went over the highlighted Reconditioned this is what it exactly reads.......

"What does Reconditioned mean? Reconditioned product is new product that was returned , has been tested and repaired if necessary, to meet " like new" mechanical specifications. Product may have some cosmetic damage. New Product warranty still applies.

So new product warranty does that mean 1 year or 200 hours with LHR? I know Sears is only 6 months.

Ike

Ike,

"Reconditioned" is a euphemism for "abused but fixed". When I got mine last month, it was in relatively good shape but it was filthy with sawdust. I've bought several "reconditioned" tools from Sears over the last 40 years and you'd be hard fixed to tell that they had ever been used. The CC was a different story.

I only carved 2 simple things when my machine developed the board sensor problem. I read everything on this forum about it and checked everything but finally I called CW's tech support. During the course of our conversation, the tech told me that I had a one-year warranty on my machine and now I understand why. It takes that long to get anything fixed.

Since speed is not something Sears is known for (it took me over 6 weeks to get my CC), I decided to fix it myself with the tech's help. After over 30 minutes of "try this, try that", it was determined that the ribbon cable was bad and the tech ordered the parts for me which arrived about a week later.

It took a couple days before I had the time to play with it but I ran into another problem. Rotating the off-center bearings for the Y track didn't do any good and I had to drill them out. I called CW and he ordered the parts. Since I just about ruined the QC when installing the Rock Chuck, I figured this was as good a time as any to order the RC, just in case I got so pissed with this machine that I returned it. $29.95 for the QC and $12 for shipping. I think I just had that out-of-marriage sex that I was always warned about and I didn't enjoy it..... I was on the receiving end (no pun intended).

Having read of others having to wait long for warranty work, I opted to fix the problem myself. In the future, if I don't have the time AND patience to play with trying to repair the CW, I'll just return it to my local Sears store and get my money back.

Chief

seabass
11-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Not true at all, especially with the CC. Most of the returns are people not knowing what the heck they are doing. My two refurbs, looked and acted like brand new and no one could tell they were not new and still cant, 265 hours on one and not one thing has gone wrong except a ripped belt(probably my fault) at 180 hours. The other not used more than 30 hours.

I have purchased refurbed almost everything from TV to router and nothing yet in my short life that I have ever had to return, but have saved do much money that even if the next 10 CC did not work out at all I would be FAR ahead.

These are my experiences with refurbs. They allowed me to get in technology I could never afford new, happily watching football on my 1080P HD TV at 50% of what people pay new and very happy! Maybe I am lucky who knows...

Ike
11-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Ike,

"Reconditioned" is a euphemism for "abused but fixed". When I got mine last month, it was in relatively good shape but it was filthy with sawdust. I've bought several "reconditioned" tools from Sears over the last 40 years and you'd be hard fixed to tell that they had ever been used. The CC was a different story.

I only carved 2 simple things when my machine developed the board sensor problem. I read everything on this forum about it and checked everything but finally I called CW's tech support. During the course of our conversation, the tech told me that I had a one-year warranty on my machine and now I understand why. It takes that long to get anything fixed.

Since speed is not something Sears is known for (it took me over 6 weeks to get my CC), I decided to fix it myself with the tech's help. After over 30 minutes of "try this, try that", it was determined that the ribbon cable was bad and the tech ordered the parts for me which arrived about a week later.

It took a couple days before I had the time to play with it but I ran into another problem. Rotating the off-center bearings for the Y track didn't do any good and I had to drill them out. I called CW and he ordered the parts. Since I just about ruined the QC when installing the Rock Chuck, I figured this was as good a time as any to order the RC, just in case I got so pissed with this machine that I returned it. $29.95 for the QC and $12 for shipping. I think I just had that out-of-marriage sex that I was always warned about and I didn't enjoy it..... I was on the receiving end (no pun intended).

Having read of others having to wait long for warranty work, I opted to fix the problem myself. In the future, if I don't have the time AND patience to play with trying to repair the CW, I'll just return it to my local Sears store and get my money back.

Chief

Chief I am sorry for the trouble you have had, but I agree with seabass. I got a good unit. Mine was brand new, the story was a person bought it used it once and returned it. When it arrived all the accessories were still in their original packages the only thing opened was the software CD. I look at the CC and noticed the packing grease was still in it. There was some saw dust but it had to come from the factory from testing. The machine had 20 minutes on the cut motor and zero on the scan hours. The project card was never used and so far it has been great! I only have 8 hours on the CC now and it works great and I am glad I bought it!

If it was a display I would have passed on it in a heart beat! I have seen the abuse people put on them. I did see one in Sears that was totally enclosed like you see game system sometimes!

Ike

Chief
11-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Not true at all, especially with the CC. Most of the returns are people not knowing what the heck they are doing. My two refurbs, looked and acted like brand new and no one could tell they were not new and still cant, 265 hours on one and not one thing has gone wrong except a ripped belt(probably my fault) at 180 hours. The other not used more than 30 hours.

I have purchased refurbed almost everything from TV to router and nothing yet in my short life that I have ever had to return, but have saved do much money that even if the next 10 CC did not work out at all I would be FAR ahead.

These are my experiences with refurbs. They allowed me to get in technology I could never afford new, happily watching football on my 1080P HD TV at 50% of what people pay new and very happy! Maybe I am lucky who knows...

Seabass,

Now I know where MY luck went. I've been lucky throughout my life which my wife finds odd because I'm not a gambler in any means. Lately I've been buying much reconditioned. I bought my first computer 31 years ago. Then you couldn't even buy new with certainty. You or Carvewright has changed my luck. I hope that, after I install the new bearings, that my luck returns. I guess the smooth rolling of the bearings can be compared to life....... it's nice if everything goes smoothly.

Chief

seabass
11-08-2009, 08:39 PM
I am going to make a carve in a few minutes I hope I did not jinx myself!

Ike
11-08-2009, 09:07 PM
I am going to make a carve in a few minutes I hope I did not jinx myself!

No you didn't! There is no guarantees in life! Hess bought a floor display and he is coming out smelling like a rose! Mine was new and I am happy! I discovered the less they cost should tell you something! I paid $750.00 and took a chance the sales person was telling me the truth. But no hours on the machine I did good!

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
11-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Other than a Cracked base unit, everything is replaceable... And Epoxy can do wonders for a cracked base.... and a Cracked Cut Motor Nose too...:)

Every time you start a project you risk the power going out and the project stopping.... We have learned the tricks... Zero Carve areas over the already cut area.... So with every Trip up we encounter.... We find new ways to fix things...

So my take on buying a refurbished machine for a GREAT savings might be worth the risk. Depends on your level of comfort fixing the machine.

I was a NewB once... I broke bearing screws, Striped the Square Drive in the Truck, Broke Square Drive Bits.... Broke X Gears, had the head un-level, ripped sand paper belts and had a flex shaft smoking black hot..... Everything was FIX - Able..... It's only PARTS.....

As Clint would say..... "Do you feel Lucky?"...... :mrgreen:

AL

chkorte
11-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I’m so excited! My new CW is suppose to be delivered tomorrow (if I can believe the FedEx tracking info). I’ve been reading the owners manual on line and following the CW forum for info and playing with the design software. I have a spot all picked out for it. I will be taking the first day to check it all over. I have the lube for the flex shaft and an RC ready to install. I started making a DC for it and as soon as I have the machine to finish fitting the DC I am going to get it finished and installed. Here’s to many hopefully trouble free hours of carving. Wish me luck!

c6craig
11-22-2009, 10:09 PM
chkorte,

Congrats on your purchase, I wish you many happy hours of trouble free carving.

Welcome to the addiction :)

Craig

TurtleCove
11-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Shacky yes they do have cutting bits check this out http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v106-0202/ea_-_spiral_bits
I just realized I have a one of these bits and I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know.
Ike

Ike...what did U find out?

hess
11-23-2009, 12:17 AM
No you didn't! There is no guarantees in life! Hess bought a floor display and he is coming out smelling like a rose! Mine was new and I am happy! I discovered the less they cost should tell you something! I paid $750.00 and took a chance the sales person was telling me the truth. But no hours on the machine I did good!

Ike

ya howdy my new cc came home and cleaned it and it when right on line just like I anit never seen woorks very well thank it may be a keeper

Ike
11-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Ike...what did U find out?

Sorry life got in the way and I have not tried it yet! Not sure when I can?

Ike