PDA

View Full Version : Project design problem

cajunpen
05-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Before I start, I want to admit that I am probably the cause of this issue. None of the 3 projects that I finally got to run came out very nice. I tried a Fluer Delis plaque (see attachment) and was hoping to get a nice piece - what I got was a fluer delis about 3/4" in total size - engraved into the material - not raised as I was hoping for. I used the 1/16" carving bit and the peice looked fine in the "design" portion. Any ideas what I have set wrong?

Bill

Dan-Woodman
05-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Bill
sounds like you might have told the machine to stay under the rollers.
and with your piece being only 6" long . What happens is when you tell it to stay under rollers it starts carving 3 1/2" from the end of the board. the machine usually asks to if you want to size the project to fit board.
The minimum length is supposed to be 7". and you 'll have to tell it not to stay under rollers.
also to get a raised pattern you will have to carve away everything around the pattern .

Dan-Woodman
05-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Bill
to continue , start with your blank board, click on drawing, rectangle and put the rectangle on the board, you should leave about 1/2" all around the edge for the upper rollers to ride on. Then click on carve region, then put in your pattern, when the project is complete cut away the outside border you left for the upper rollers maybe with a table saw. hope this helps keep us posted.later Daniel

cajunpen
05-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey Dan,

Yes, I did tell it to stay under the rollers. I am slowly learning that this is not always the best method. I am off tomorrow and plan on getting an early start - I will opt for it to not stay under the rollers, hopefully I will get a nice piece.. I am impressed with the machine - once I learn to use it, it should be really fun!

to get a raised pattern you will have to carve away everything around the pattern
How do I set it to carve away everything else? I assume that would be Raster - but I don't see an option for setting it. I can see that I have a LOT to learn, but the good thing is that I have a deep well of information to draw from.

Bill

Dastardly Den
05-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Is this what you mean by carving the rest of the material. If so I just drew a rectacle and told it to carve region and set the depth as the same as the image. The carve region is the far left tool on the toolbar.

Dan-Woodman
05-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Bill
you carve everything around the pattern by selecting the carve region option, then you can select the depth in the boxes that appear above the project.in the software. it defalts to 1/4".
Dastardly Den looks like he has the picture right.

cajunpen
05-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks Dans - I really appreciate the help. I think I have the concept of the carve regions now. I will give it a go tomorrow and let you guys now the outcome. Thanks again for the help.

Bill