PDA

View Full Version : Y axis error 236

cajunpen
05-24-2006, 03:58 PM
I just my CW up this morning and was hoping to spend the day producing some nice pieces (at least by my standards). Instead, I am consistently getting a Y axis error 236 message. I called this morning and spoke to someone and they had me check the rollers. Once I got the material under both rollers it worked fine - for one carving (which was a nameplate and came out terrible - the letters were too thin and parts chipped away, like part of the J and the lower case e. But that is something I suspect in the design element that I am doing wrong.

Back to my Y axis problem. I noticed that everything works fine until I "measure the piece" it cycles through the process - but the board never comes back to the original position. It stops in the rear of the machine, with the front portion of the material just shy of the front roller. I also noticed that the long belt (for side to side movement) is very loose, could this be part of my problem?

I will do a second post to address my design issues Any help will be appreiciated.[/i]

cajunpen
05-24-2006, 05:22 PM
I spoke with Chris this afternoon and I think he solved my problem with the Y axis error message. It appears that the long belt (left to right) was loose. He walked me through tightening it up and I was able to run one project through - then my wife got home :)

bobhaffner
01-10-2007, 09:21 PM
i am having the same problem axis stall 236 where do i start thanks for any help i can get from anyone

Jeff_Birt
01-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Try to be more specific about what the machine is doing when the error occures. Is the cutting head towards the front or back of the machine, is it trying to measure the board at the time, etc.

John Douglas
04-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I have been having the y axis 236 error code also. Spoke to a tech at CW this afternoon and he believes the y axis belt needs to be tightened. My question is, how do I get to the phillips head screw to adjust the belt? If I have to remove the cover, how do I go about that? :) Will not be attempting it for a day or so due to my schedule so thought I would ask here as I won't be able to get back to tech support until Monday. I would like to say that the CW techs seem to try very hard to solve the problems and that is a big plus to me. Thanks for any assistance..... John

Skyhawk
04-06-2007, 04:09 PM
I have been having the y axis 236 error code also. Spoke to a tech at CW this afternoon and he believes the y axis belt needs to be tightened. My question is, how do I get to the phillips head screw to adjust the belt? If I have to remove the cover, how do I go about that? :) Will not be attempting it for a day or so due to my schedule so thought I would ask here as I won't be able to get back to tech support until Monday. I would like to say that the CW techs seem to try very hard to solve the problems and that is a big plus to me. Thanks for any assistance..... John

Getting to this screw is fairly easy if you have a stubby philips head screw driver...No need to remove the cover. Just be careful to not over tighten the belt as this will cause 246 errors and could strip the gears that run the belt!

liquidguitars
04-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Here is a good place to start.. ;)

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2073

Semper Fi
04-06-2007, 07:50 PM
I posted on another thread about my problem with Y Axis errors, but here is what I ran into and the fix. I turned off the machine and hand cycled the Y Axis from left to right. The Y Axis seemed to be 'jerky' as it went across the machine. I noted the Y Axis drive didn't have any covering where the gears drove the cogged belt. I blew out this opening with my air compressor as I moved the Y Axis Truck across the machine several times until the thing moved smoothly. It worked for me and now I hit it with the air while the machine is carving and so far no more Y Axis errors. Now if I could get rid of the check cutting motor message, I would be a happy camper!

Ernie

John Douglas
04-07-2007, 11:48 PM
appreciate the response to my problem. will find a stubby phillips instead of attempting to remove the cover for now and will make sure that the drive gear is clean. i have come to the conclusion that problems will arise and the more I can learn about the machine the better off I will be. thanks again and will post the results.:D

John Douglas
04-07-2007, 11:52 PM
downloaded and saved the pdf file. thanks for that also.

John Douglas
04-09-2007, 05:44 AM
After putting a little more tension on the y axis belt as I was instructed to do by the CW tech, I attempted a trial project. Didn't receive the y axis stall this time but in the middle of the project the chuck assembly plunged all the way to the bottom and I received "assert macro failed error 87." In searching that error in the forum, I found that someone had experienced the same thing before I did. Doesn't appear that it is a correctable situation as the assembly offers no resistance whatsoever when brought upward and slides back to the bottom. Guess it is time to pack this thing up and send it home to Texas. Thanks for the assistance fellows.

benluz
04-09-2007, 01:09 PM
I had a rash of stalls here lately and here are a few tips... check to mack sure the y travel is smooth and nothing in back hits the z-motor cover....mine was hitting the back of the cover and the machine and was giving a z-axis stall which misled me when it was actually a y axis stall the z-was not moving the y-axis was trying to move over to the bit plate when it sensed some drag and it showed up as a z stall, so check your machines clearance behind the z-motor as the y-axis moves left to right is very tight behind the z as it moves past the mid-way point.
Ben

benluz
04-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Hello, no need to send her back ,CW will send you a z-motor pack.your encoder has quit working and can't keep track of where the z-head is.Same thing happened to me...it's actually an easy fix if you have the part.

John Douglas
04-09-2007, 06:34 PM
chris, a cw tech, called today. he emailed me instructions to remove the cover which i did. the problem now is that the chuck assembly isn't held by the vertical belt. it just slides all the way to the bottom. the small cable at the back was loose again. i did the hot melt things but that didn't help. actually, i guess i knew it wouldn't because the belt should move with the assembly even if the machine isn't on. i couldn't figure out how to get inside to see if there was something array, but whatever holds the belt against the gears is apparently not doing so. i could hold pressure against one side of the belt as i slid the chuck assembly up and down and the belt would move with it. any ideas? will call cw once again tomorrow.... thanks:mad: :confused:

liquidguitars
04-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Sounds like a short in the unit if your truck is dropping when under power but not sure why the belt is not moving check the post:

Benluz:
"CW will send you a z-motor pack"

John Douglas
04-09-2007, 07:11 PM
it stays at the bottom, power or not. i can slid it up but it isn't being held by the belt:)

John Douglas
04-10-2007, 03:37 PM
With another contact with the tech at cw it has been decided that the machine needs to be returned for service and some alterations. I am quite pleased with the techs and cw's customer service in general. Not pleased with the fact that there are apparent inherent manufacturing problems and the warranty doesn't cover return shipping. Hope that the service and upgrade corrects the problems and can get on with some projects.....:o

John Douglas
04-18-2007, 08:52 PM
My machine is going to be shipped back tomorrow. I am not very pleased with a response I received from CW. I wouldn't complain about the down time and the tech response has been adequate, but the fact that I have to pay the shipping costs upsets me. From what I gathered from one of the techs there are manufacturing problems associated with my problem. A local sign company rep is interested in seeing my machine and I definitely won't recommend it to the company under the circumstances. Hope my situation isn't too common for everyone else's sake.

CW Rookie
04-19-2007, 09:57 PM
the fact that I have to pay the shipping costs upsets me. From what I gathered from one of the techs there are manufacturing problems associated with my problem. A local sign company rep is interested in seeing my machine and I definitely won't recommend it to the company under the circumstances. Hope my situation isn't too common for everyone else's sake.

That's understandable as many have had problems with manufacturing deficiencies in their machines, myself included. But I thought others had indicated that CW sends a prepaid label and pays the shipping costs.

Have CW's return policies changed??

pkunk
04-19-2007, 10:02 PM
That's understandable as many have had problems with manufacturing deficiencies in their machines, myself included. But I thought others had indicated that CW sends a prepaid label and pays the shipping costs.

Have CW's return policies changed??
If it's under guarantee they pay shipping. If you bought from ebay or private sale it's your dime.

John Douglas
04-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Well, maybe I am mistaken about the shipping warranty, but I did pay the cost. Was amazed though that they received the machine on Monday and it was delivered back to me today, which is Friday. Am in the midst of carving the piece that I was working on when it malfunctioned the first time. So far, so good. Will report back....

benluz
04-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Well, maybe I am mistaken about the shipping warranty, but I did pay the cost. Was amazed though that they received the machine on Monday and it was delivered back to me today, which is Friday. Am in the midst of carving the piece that I was working on when it malfunctioned the first time. So far, so good. Will report back....

That's great ! I think they still pay for shipping as long as it's under warranty.But of that fast of service I would gladly pay shipping.It sounds as if you had multiple problems.Form my experience I believe the design of the machine is good as a matter fact I just purchased a full size cnc and in research I did I came across table top models from techno that did not appear to have the capabilities that this machines has and they were around 6,000 .Granted their dependability should be better ,but they have been building routers for much longer as well.For the money and support the carvewright seem to run circles around anything else even close to the price.
Ben

John Douglas
05-03-2007, 01:54 PM
After receiving the rapid repair job mentioned earlier, I was excited to try the machine again. Did a fairly simple project, type fonts mostly on a piece of walnut approximately 5 x 16 x .75 inches. The machine threw no error codes and finished the project without a problem, except that the quality was quite poor. The letters had rough edges and a few of them were not properly formed, most notably the S character. The centers of the S were not drilled out. I re-formatted the memory card and redesigned the project but to no avail. Time to start anew on contacting CW and tracking this problem.

Jeff_Birt
05-03-2007, 02:08 PM
John, this sounds like it might be a design problem. Why not do a simple test with womthign that is known to carve well like a pattern from the pattern library.

benluz
05-03-2007, 03:02 PM
yes..that sounds odd ..check the obvious grab the trucks and try any move them to see if there is any play,also the bit.If all looks good,try carving the lion like Jeff said and check the quality.
Ben

dominulus
06-22-2007, 02:37 PM
New machine. I was excited to make my first cross cut, but as soon as the cutting bit touched the board, the machine displayed the y axis stall, 236 error.

After troubleshooting with a cw tech this morning, they have decided to send a new cutting motor.

Has anyone else had to replace their cuttting motor for this problem?

benluz
06-22-2007, 04:20 PM
New machine. I was excited to make my first cross cut, but as soon as the cutting bit touched the board, the machine displayed the y axis stall, 236 error.

After troubleshooting with a cw tech this morning, they have decided to send a new cutting motor.

Has anyone else had to replace their cuttting motor for this problem?

we all have this at one time or another my first cut had a y azis stall ,then I noticed a piece of styrofoam wedged over in thr corner of thr y travel path,I removed and it worked fine.There are many reasons you could have this problem ,but if the tech says the motor lets go with that.Did they have you run various test before they made this conclusion ?
Ben

dominulus
06-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Yes, we checked the rotor reading on the control panel while manually rotating the flex shaft -- stayed at zero; which to them indicated a new cutting motor was in order. I'd trade that for a chunk-o-styrofoam any day!

HerbO
06-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Did a few scans today and they were great with the new probe. Decided to give them a carve and The first carved great. Went to do the second and the bit came thru the side of the board toward the keypad. Hit stop and receive a 236 error. Searched the forum and made sure everything was tight and running the rails smooth and the belt channel was clean. Deleted the project on the card and uploaded a new one. It went thru all the correct startup and started carving. This is a 1/2" deep carve region and when thru about three passes I heard a couple clicks and it went thru the side again. Sounded like a gear slipping a couple of cogs. Looked at the left side were the tension screw is and teeth are fine. Belt seemed tight enough. Looked thru the clear plastic at the motor side and all the teeth look fine. I am assuming there are some gears I can't see unless taken apart. Any Thoughts!

benluz
06-23-2007, 06:39 AM
Herb, If the bit is going all the way throught into the boards and stalling ,more than likely your z-encoder is the problem,could be as simple as the main solder joint cracked to vibration or the optical reader snapped a wire from vibration,mucher harder to fix on your on,CW can send you a new z-pack and you just swap ,one think you can do plug your machine in turn power on lift the z-head up and down,you should feel resistance,turn power off as the capacitors drain it should move much easier,if feels the same your not getting the 24v to the encoder/motor,also hit 0,7 scroll through the sensor readings and see if it registers anything on the z truck as you move it .If you detemine there is no power check connection,if no chaange(and if you can solder) you can pull the cover and pull the z-motor,I will help you trouble shoot it if you like.
Ben

HerbO
06-23-2007, 09:34 AM
I am still assuming that it is Y axis. The bit does not plunge thru the board it comes out the side toward the keypad. Almost like the carved region moved 1/2" down toward the edge.

benluz
06-23-2007, 10:31 AM
I am still assuming that it is Y axis. The bit does not plunge thru the board it comes out the side toward the keypad. Almost like the carved region moved 1/2" down toward the edge.

does the error message read y stall or z stall error 236 ?

Ben

Grab the z truck and move it left to right the full travel with power down and see if you can hear the clicking noise you may have broken a few teeth of the y -axis motor.
Ben

HerbO
06-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Called CW and tore the y motor off and all the gears were fine. The belt looked fine but after pushing the tension plate as hard as I could and tighten the screw it stopped skipping. He said if it starts again we will try a new belt.
Carved three projects in poplar and seems fine. Try some hardwood next to see. Thanks for the help.