PDA

View Full Version : Removing Bits from Rock Chuck

WRW
10-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi All
Quick question. Is anyone else having trouble removeing bits from the Rock Chuck? It started about after 14 hours of carve time, I have to tap the allen wrench every time now and the presure required seems to be increasing. Have I missed something in the use of the Rock. Love the Rock but I do not want to damage anything by constantly having to apply the tapping especially as it seems to be tacking more presure as time goes on.
Thanks

dbfletcher
10-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi All
Quick question. Is anyone else having trouble removeing bits from the Rock Chuck? It started about after 14 hours of carve time, I have to tap the allen wrench every time now and the presure required seems to be increasing. Have I missed something in the use of the Rock. Love the Rock but I do not want to damage anything by constantly having to apply the tapping especially as it seems to be tacking more presure as time goes on.
Thanks

The only think i could think of is maybe the lock nut shifted? I know ron has a post somehwer about the taper lining up on the back of the rock. I'm he will jump in eventually and solve this for sure. I've never needed more than about 1/8-1/4 turn to either release or lock a bit with the 1/2 rock and sleeves.

Good luck

Doug Fletcher

rjustice
10-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi All
Thanks

Hi Richard,
It is possible that you may have inadvertantly clamped up on a flat. If so, it is possible that it could have kicked up a burr on the clamp nut. This could cause the clamp nut to have a wedging affect rather than just clamping on location.
Try unscrewing the clamp screw a few turns, and pushing the clamp nut out. If it doesnt come out smoothly, take the screw the rest of the way out, and then push it out with the "T" handle. Then take a look to see if there are any burrs at all. If there are, simply take a fine file, and remove any sharp edges. Slide the clamp screw back into the bore of the chuck and make sure it moves freely. If necessary also check to see if there is a burr in the hole as well. Once everything is smooth and clean, i think you will find everything will work well..
Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Ron

Hexe SA
11-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Hi All
Thanks

taken my bit out with 20 hrs of carving on it. Hasn't come loose either. But I don't need to change bits. I'm lucky and have 2 machines.
Eva