PDA

View Full Version : Alternate way to remove the QC

STEAM
10-30-2009, 05:01 PM
I started by purchasing the Rock and necessary change out tools from Ron. I know that most of you recommend using the 1/2 inch cold rolled steel rod and heating it with a torch. I have neither the means to cut a steel rod nor do I have a torch.
What I do have is a 25 watt pencil soldering iron from Radio Shack. It produces a temperature between 600 to 640 F. I first made sure the Carvewright was unplugged. I removed the soldering tip and retaining screw from the iron. I inserted the unplugged and cold iron up into the QC and lowered the z truck until the iron was held securely but not tightly in an upright position. I then plugged the iron in and waited for 20 minutes. As it heated I tested the temperature of the z truck and surrounding components. They all stayed at room temperature except for the z truck.
The iron fits into the QC far enough to where there is no heat in the area of the board sensor. After 20 minutes the z truck was very warm to the touch but not overly hot. I then used Ron's tools and his instructions and the QC released with very little resistance. The QC removed in perfect shape and could be reused if needed.
I was able to install the Rock and now I am ready to roll!
I think the Rock should be recommended as invention of the year!

seabass
10-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Seems safer than a torch actually.

My dad always said if it works you did it right and it if it does not work you did it wrong. Actually growing up on the Strip in Vegas when gambling he said if you won you did it right, if you lost you did it wrong, same theory though.

It might sound stupid, but hopefully everyone tries to get the QC off with the wrenches only before trying the heat. I had all the torch and steel ready and for kicks I just tried to get the QC off and sure enough no heat needed.

STEAM
10-30-2009, 07:08 PM
With my QC it was a replacement and was put on by LHR while under warranty. My original QC had problems day one. They had sent me a replacement and I couldn't get the old one off at all. I ended up shipping it to LHR and they changed it. That should give you an idea as to how mechanically inclined I am. I tried to remove this one before I bought Ron's tools and got absolutely no where. After I used the iron and it did so well, it reminded me of the saying "necessity is the mother of all invention".
I would not have felt safe putting a source of fire into my machine. With my lack of skills. I most likely would have ended up replacing a lot more than the chuck. I have never been very mechanical but I know my way around small machines and electronics.

Pratyeka
10-31-2009, 11:35 AM
The soldering iron is a good idea, safe and easy to control the amount of heat, just as you did.

Another way would be to use a small halogen light bulb, but the holder would have to be home made to fit inside the machine and position the bulb inside the chuck.