PDA

View Full Version : Why a tapered bit?

hogiewan
10-30-2009, 02:16 PM
I've been struggling to preserve vertical sides on imported models and I now wonder: what is the reason for a tapered bit? What advantage does it have over a straight-sided, ball-nose bit?

want2b
10-30-2009, 03:09 PM
A bit able to cut 1 inch deep has to have a minumum shaft size for strength or tapered. Without the taper the bit would be a larger diameter and the small lines and detail would be lost.
Rick H.

mtylerfl
10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
A bit able to cut 1 inch deep has to have a minumum shaft size for strength or tapered. Without the taper the bit would be a larger diameter and the small lines and detail would be lost.
Rick H.

Actually, the 1/16" Carving Bit will go .8" deep, not 1" deep - software won't allow it to go deeper than that. And yes, a straight ballnose 1/16" bit would never survive carving that deep - would snap off right away. The taper is for strength, as you said.

seabass
10-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Well it would snap off if you cut it all at once. If you do not mind the time why not just limit the cut depth per pass. Or assign a different bit for the cut out portion of the project or where you need vertical cuts.

Digitalwoodshop
10-30-2009, 03:29 PM
As for the vertical sides..... Get "Creative"...

Outline the object, assign a 1/8 inch cutting bit to it and have it outline the carving after the carving is done. Just assign the bit and set the depth and you have 90 degree sides. It might take some inset or outset to get it right....

AL

hogiewan
10-30-2009, 03:32 PM
As for the vertical sides..... Get "Creative"...

Outline the object, assign a 1/8 inch cutting bit to it and have it outline the carving after the carving is done. Just assign the bit and set the depth and you have 90 degree sides. It might take some inset or outset to get it right....

AL

That's what I'm trying to do, but getting the tapered bit to not cut down the vertical side is the problem.

dbfletcher
10-30-2009, 03:45 PM
That's what I'm trying to do, but getting the tapered bit to not cut down the vertical side is the problem.

On the outline, you would want to use the 1/8 straight bit.. not the tapered bit. That will "striaghten" up your sides.

And as Al alludes to, you may have to adjust hwere/how your taperered bit carves are bring done to account for the 3.5 degrees of taper. I think I have read posts from LG in the past about he accomlishes that. My guess...... is just some math.

Doug Fletcher

hogiewan
10-30-2009, 08:00 PM
On the outline, you would want to use the 1/8 straight bit.. not the tapered bit. That will "striaghten" up your sides.

And as Al alludes to, you may have to adjust hwere/how your taperered bit carves are bring done to account for the 3.5 degrees of taper. I think I have read posts from LG in the past about he accomlishes that. My guess...... is just some math.

Doug Fletcher

LG adds the extra width in his models, but it seems unnecessary since the software or machine should do a better job of carving only where you want.

AFA a 1/16" straight bit being too small to carve, I agree, but a 3/16" bit should be strong enough and it would work for most of what I would want it for.

DocWheeler
10-30-2009, 08:45 PM
hogiewan,

I have read parts of this thread each time that I have signed on today. My thoughts are that I do not understand your intent. To me, using a 3/16" bit instead of a 1/16" bit would be like selecting a crayon rather than a sharp pencil to draw fine detail - not at all what I would want to do.

so, I guess I do not understand your intent. Do you not intend to have detail? If not, you can route the project rather than "carve" it.

Maybe I'm having one of those senior thingys.

hogiewan
10-30-2009, 09:06 PM
so, I guess I do not understand your intent. Do you not intend to have detail? If not, you can route the project rather than "carve" it.

For things like a guitar neck, you don't need a sharp point, but you do need flat vertical sides for the headstock or neck heel. I'm not saying that I don't ever need the 1/16" carving bit, but it would be nice to have more options.

This would be unnecessary if there was an option to preserve the top of a pattern instead of always trying to carve out the bottom.

mtylerfl
10-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Well it would snap off if you cut it all at once. If you do not mind the time why not just limit the cut depth per pass. Or assign a different bit for the cut out portion of the project or where you need vertical cuts.

Well...might be a nice idea, but...multi-passes cannot be assigned to a raster carve that uses the 1/16" tapered carving bit.;)

(The OP was referring to the carving bit, not a cutting bit in his original post.)

mtylerfl
10-30-2009, 10:03 PM
For things like a guitar neck, you don't need a sharp point, but you do need flat vertical sides for the headstock or neck heel. I'm not saying that I don't ever need the 1/16" carving bit, but it would be nice to have more options.

This would be unnecessary if there was an option to preserve the top of a pattern instead of always trying to carve out the bottom.

CarveWright does have a 1/8" straight ballnose carving bit that they include with their CO2 Dragster Kit they sell to schools. That might be the answer for you. The only problem is, I'm not sure it is available to anyone other than the CO2 Kit owners. Might give them a call and see...or, check with Ron Justice to see if he has one available.

seabass
10-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Why the tapered carving and bit and not 1/16" cutting bit to cut out an outline?

I guess I need look at the project design closely. There is always someway to accomplish what you want, maybe an entirely different way of approaching the carve? I am sure someone here can help.

hogiewan
10-31-2009, 07:45 AM
CarveWright does have a 1/8" straight ballnose carving bit that they include with their CO2 Dragster Kit they sell to schools. That might be the answer for you. The only problem is, I'm not sure it is available to anyone other than the CO2 Kit owners. Might give them a call and see...or, check with Ron Justice to see if he has one available.

I forgot about it and I just went back and checked, but there is an option in board settings > pattern bit to choose an 1/8 ballnose. I'll have to call LHR

mtylerfl
10-31-2009, 08:14 AM
Why the tapered carving and bit and not 1/16" cutting bit to cut out an outline?

I guess I need look at the project design closely. There is always someway to accomplish what you want, maybe an entirely different way of approaching the carve? I am sure someone here can help.

Hi Seabass,

CarveWright does indeed have a 1/16" Cutting straight bit (the tapered 1/16" bit is for carving - not cutting out along a cut path).

The 1/16" straight cutting bit is designed to cut through a maximum depth of stock up to 1/4" thick - it will break if going much thicker than that (flute length is .313"). They came out with that bit primarily for folks wanting to make cutouts on 1/8" to 1/4" material (such as for thin Christmas ornaments, snowflakes, inlays and any other finer detailed cutouts like that).

The bit is available at: http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=18825&cat=251&page=1

seabass
10-31-2009, 01:22 PM
I use the 1/16" cutting bit all the time, until I got a rock chuck and then tried getting the bit out of the holder. I did not even touch the bit, but I inadvertently hit the holder against my vise and the tip of the bit cracked right off.

I can get the 1/8" bits out of the holder no prob, but these 1/16" bits are a pain because of the additional sleeve around the 1/8" shaft.

Anyway, I was just throwing idea out there. Its tough without a pattern, but anything can be cut vertical at the edge, its just a matter of messing around with the design.

mtylerfl
10-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi Seabass,

I didn't know you already owned the 1/16" Cutting Bit already! Sorry 'bout that!

seabass
10-31-2009, 02:51 PM
I am afraid to order more. Where can I get them NOT in the stupid bit holder?

dbfletcher
10-31-2009, 03:08 PM
I am afraid to order more. Where can I get them NOT in the stupid bit holder?

I would check with Ron (rjustice). I think he also has them.. and one his website I think he says if he doesnt have it, he can get nearly anything.

Doug Fletcher

Edit: I believe LHR also said they are going to start offering teh bits without the holders as well. Thay may not hasppen until they release their new chuck however.

hogiewan
11-02-2009, 02:56 PM

from LHR:

The 1/8" ball nose bit is only available for schools that have purchased
our CW Dragster Series Carving Jig. It is not available alone.

If you have a 1/8" ball nose bit, you can purchase a 1/4 or 1/2"
adapter.

I think this would be a welcome addition to the carving options. It is already set up in the software, why can't we buy it?

TIMCOSBY
11-03-2009, 03:10 AM
the trim edges filter in pattern editor to get rid of the sides.

hogiewan
11-03-2009, 07:31 AM
the trim edges filter in pattern editor to get rid of the sides.

It doesn't work completely. Even though I can't see a change in the color in the pattern editor, Designer still shoes places that will cut too deep.

LHR has told me that I can call and order the 1/8 ballnose bit, so I am going to give that a try.

Icutone2
11-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Doug Fletcher, What is the story of a new chuck? Where did you hear of this?
Lee

dbfletcher
11-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Doug Fletcher, What is the story of a new chuck? Where did you hear of this?
Lee

I heard of it on this forum. I dont think details have been released. It was either someone from LHR that posted the teaser... or someone who had just spoke with LHR. Sorry I dont have more detials. Perhaps someone else remembers which thread it was discussed in.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

swhitney
11-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Are you referring to this post???

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12811&highlight=jlovchik

see post #28 of the thread ...

twiceretired
11-03-2009, 09:00 AM
I heard of it on this forum. I dont think details have been released. It was either someone from LHR that posted the teaser... or someone who had just spoke with LHR. Sorry I dont have more detials. Perhaps someone else remembers which thread it was discussed in.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

This is the post on the new chuck from LHR

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12811&page=4&highlight=new+chuck

From jlovehik

Sorry swhitney, you type faster than I, have a nice day.

The last I heard it will be out the first of the year. For my money it can't be to soon.

dbfletcher
11-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Are you referring to this post???

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12811&highlight=jlovchik

see post #28 of this thread ...

Yep... that was it! Thanks for doing the search for me. I was too lazy this morning! :)

Doug Fletcher