PDA

View Full Version : The Joy Tree - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
10-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month - "Joy Tree". This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

Perfect for the holiday season, the finished “Joy Tree” project is approximately 10¼" wide x 14¼" tall. It can be hung on your main entry door or displayed on an interior wall to compliment your holiday decor.

The entire project is carved and cut out with just the two bits that came with your machine, and utilizes just a single board without any “fussy” setups or assembly required.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project File (included): Joy_Tree.mpc

2) One board with the following dimensions: 0.75" x 11.2" x 22"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of each board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) Picture hanger for backside (I just used some green coated picture wire from a craft store, twisted it into a loop, and attached it to the back with a ½”screw. I allowed the loop to extend beyond the top a little so my Joy Tree could be hung from a small nail on my front door.)

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Joy Tree made from Select Pine wood...

Finish Details:
• One very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)

• Sanded again with fine sandpaper and 3M wheels

• Cabot-brand Stain (Brown Mahogany #8134)

• Several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic Satin. I spot-sanded some areas with 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper between coats.

• Applied Krylon 18K Gold Leaf Pen to the letters

chebytrk
10-28-2009, 01:44 PM
yeah baby.......... Mike you da man! Come on....... next week so I can get my POM! :D

hess
10-28-2009, 02:04 PM
very nice bro

rcdages
10-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Michael you have once again done a very fine Design-carving and finish on this project.

You are a driving force for this fine CNC-CW/CC machine.

Thank you for all you do for the forum and LHR.

Robert
rcdages

jjack9485
10-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Michael,

Such a beautiful project for the holiday season, can't wait to get started on it...

Jack

Kenm810
10-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Super Job Michael,
Wouldn't Expect anything Less!! :grin:http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

MCGEE2SKINNER
10-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Once again Michael you did it. I was trying to get into the spirit and I think this will do it. can't wait.
jim

c6craig
10-28-2009, 10:43 PM
SUPER COOL!!! I can't wait to get started on this, I see a few getting made for family too!

The POM subscription was probably the best investment I have made in this machine, MT your projects are always fun - and most important I learn something from every one. Thanks for all you do!

Craig

LittleRedWoodshop
10-29-2009, 05:39 AM
is awesome, you are the tops Michael T, that will go great with all of the other Christmas stuff that we are working on right now.

LollyWood
10-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Mike T,

It never gets old Nor ceases to amaze, and I need to get a rubber stamp. "That is the best yet!!" I just finished 15 candy "Leaf" dishes. Was/am pretty damned excited, folks already looking for the sleigh projects. Now this will be added to the Christmas collections. So much for rest over the holidays. Thanks for doing the leg work and keeping this hobby fun!! Owe ya more then (I) can tell ya.

RayTrek
10-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi Michael,

Every project you design gives to us so much pleasure and learning Thanks again,
Looks like this will be a lot of fun to carve.
Ray

mtylerfl
10-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Thank you for the encouragement and kind words everyone! I hope you and yours will enjoy this project for many years to come!

Ike
10-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Michael, if I give you my wife's e-mail address will you convince her to let me join the POM club! I did get her to let me buy the coin bank and trout clock! I can't wait for my new machine it was shipped today and I need to make projects for a local X-mas craft fair. I am going to make the projects and then sell them of course I will have a sign display! Something new for me!

I need ideas HELP!!!

Ike

mtylerfl
10-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Michael, if I give you my wife's e-mail address will you convince her to let me join the POM club! I did get her to let me buy the coin bank and trout clock! I can't wait for my new machine it was shipped today and I need to make projects for a local X-mas craft fair. I am going to make the projects and then sell them of course I will have a sign display! Something new for me!

I need ideas HELP!!!

Ike

Hello Ike,

I'll do my best! Here's what I would say (if I were you, that is)...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You know, honey, I appreciate how frugal you are with the household finances. I don't know what I would do without you! I do have something on my mind that I want to run past you to see what you think.

Do you recall when you let me buy the Trout Clock project? It was a great value, even at the regular price of $65. But, you know what? If we had invested in the Project of the Month Subscription when it first started, we would have had that project, plus 11 more for just $55 more than what the single Trout Project cost us. In fact, if you figure it out, each project would have only cost us just $10 each if we had been subscribers!

I know you recognize a good deal when you see one, you've always been terrific at that! What do you think? Should we go ahead and sign up for the 12 month project subscription? The folks that signed up in the beginning have already saved over $400 as compared to buying each project individually. I just want to help us save some money, honey! Perhaps we won't want to do every project that comes included, but with the savings we'll have on the projects we do run, we'll still be way ahead of the game!

Oh, and by the way, if we sign up now, we'll get the new Joy Tree project to start us out with, plus a new project each month for the next 11 months! My goodness - who knows how much money we'll save on projects over this next year!"

Well - that's what I would say.:)

PCW
10-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Michael,

All I got to say is man you are good!!!:mrgreen:

Ike
10-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Hello Ike,

I'll do my best! Here's what I would say (if I were you, that is)...

"You know, honey, I appreciate how frugal you are with the household finances. I don't know what I would do without you! I do have something on my mind that I want to run past you to see what you think.

Do you recall when you let me buy the Trout Clock project? It was a great value, even at the regular price of $65. But, you know what? If we had invested in the Project of the Month Subscription when it first started, we would have had that project, plus 11 more for just $55 more than what the single Trout Project cost us. In fact, if you figure it out, each project would have only cost us just $10 each if we had been subscribers!

I know you recognize a good deal when you see one, you've always been terrific at that! What do you think? Should we go ahead and sign up for the 12 month project subscription? The folks that signed up in the beginning have already saved over $400 as compared to buying each project individually. I just want to help us save some money, honey! Perhaps we won't want to do every project that comes included, but with the savings we'll have on the projects we do run, we'll still be way ahead of the game!

Oh, and by the way, if we sign up now, we'll get the new Joy Tree project to start us out with, plus a new project each month for the next 11 months! My goodness - who knows how much money we'll save on projects over this next year!"

Well - that's what I would say.:)

Yes you are Michael! Did I mentioned 9 days ago were our 25th anniversary? Lol I am sure as soon as I open my mouth she will remind me of just buying another CC. Then she will say ok......... you know our financial situation and go ahead and do what you want.

That said sounds great I will, then this will follow then don't complain we don't have any money to go out to dinner and buy the extras like your K-cup coffee ....sigh but do what you want! :eek:

Ike

STEAM
10-29-2009, 08:38 PM
That said sounds great I will, then this will follow then don't complain we don't have any money to go out to dinner and buy the extras like your K-cup coffee ....sigh but do what you want! :eek:

Ike

Hey Ike
Just tell her that if you have two machines and the POM club, you won't have time to go out to dinner anyway. She will be understanding . LoL ;)

Ike
10-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Ok Michael she loves the joy tree and the leaf candy dishes, she said if we both to start I can join otherwise I have to wait until I make some more money!

In the store it shows the leaf candy dish so does it start with that project?

Ike

c6craig
10-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Ike,

For what it's worth i was the same as you, not a subscriber. But after buying a couple of the POM's from the store at $25-50+ (butterfly box $30, sleigh $50, keepsake box $40 etc) a piece I saw I was throwing away money. Once in a blue moon the project is something I cant really do anything with (trout clock, duck shelf) but it all comes out in the wash.

Some of these POMs are so nice they pay for the whole subscription cost in one. If you were selling these, you could probably make your money back with a batch of Autumn Leaf Candy Dishes or Joy Trees, both of which look like quick finish jobs.

Craig

Ike
10-30-2009, 12:42 AM
I agree and so does the wife so if I can get that new CC deal I know my wife will let me buy the subscription!

Ike

mtylerfl
10-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Ok Michael she loves the joy tree and the leaf candy dishes, she said if we both to start I can join otherwise I have to wait until I make some more money!

In the store it shows the leaf candy dish so does it start with that project?

Ike

Hello Ike,

You know, now that you mention it, I think if you sign up right now, it WILL start with the Dishes. Since the CarveWright website still displays that project, that's the one it will start out with - it's going to change very soon, though, so you may want to sign up early today to be on the safe side!

Ike
10-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Hello Ike,

You know, now that you mention it, I think if you sign up right now, it WILL start with the Dishes. Since the CarveWright website still displays that project, that's the one it will start out with - it's going to change very soon, though, so you may want to sign up early today to be on the safe side!

My wife surprises me! She went for it as long as the candy dishes came with and the Joy tree! So I am a new POM member!

Ike

dbfletcher
10-30-2009, 01:45 PM
My wife surprises me! She went for it as long as the candy dishes came with and the Joy tree! So I am a new POM member!

Ike

Congrats! I know I have been thrilled with the POM projects so far.. just need way more hours in the day.

Doug Fletcher

mtylerfl
10-30-2009, 01:48 PM

Ike

What a great wife!! Merry Christmas!

Ike
10-30-2009, 02:33 PM
What a great wife!! Merry Christmas!

Yes she is a great wife!! Now you know why we have been together for almost 30 years! 25 years of marriage a little over 4 dating in high school.... yes high school!

ike

Ike
10-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I feel like a kid with getting another CC and now the POM club!

Ike

Shawnf2
11-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Anybody having problems getting this?I can download it just fine but when i go to update licenses theres nothing there.

swhitney
11-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Anybody having problems getting this?I can download it just fine but when i go to update licenses theres nothing there.

see the following thread:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13345

c6craig
11-02-2009, 03:39 PM
I updated my other thread, but since the question was asked here as well...

The POM has been fixed, multiple people have confirmed that it is working now.

Thanks,
Craig

jjack9485
11-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Yep its working and carving...

jack

Gean
11-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Well, I downloaded the Joy Tree on the "optimal" setting and began carving on a great piece of oak. The attached picture is what I came up with after about 3 and a half hours. The only thing on the electrical circuit is the lights and the CW. Any ideas?

Gean

Gean
11-05-2009, 09:31 PM
I forgot to mention that I had taped extensions on the board for the correct length. The CW measured it correctly before starting.

Gean

c6craig
11-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Gean,

I see masking tape on the top of the board, but did you have it on the bottom as well? It looks like maybe the brass tracking wheel slipped a few times. Make sure the rubber O-ring is in place on that as well. Also check your head pressure as if it is too high it can cause this slipping/misfeeding as well.

Good luck,
Craig

Gean
11-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Yes, I did have masking tape on both top and bottom. The rubber o-ring is in place. It has been a little while since I checked the head pressure. Do you suppose that maybe there was a glitch on the internet download or maybe when I put it on the memory card? Will try it again with a piece of cheap pine this time. I really want to get at least one of these carved and finished for a Christmas present.

Gean

jjack9485
11-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Gean,

I have carved three of them with no problem, it looks like something has slipped, not tracking right, did you get any errors? I have learned from Al, masking tape does wonders.

jack

jjack9485
11-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Are you sure the board is square and has a straight edges, you may have the sliding square too tight against it and binding the board, making it slip at spots.

jack

Gean
11-06-2009, 09:52 AM
The board was cut square with good edges.

I've done several other carvings and haven't had this problem before. I remember that when I loaded it to the memory card, my screen saver kicked in in the middle of the load and may have somehow caused a blip. I'm going to erase it from the card and reload it.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll let you know in a few days if that corrected the problem.

Gean

William Blankenship
11-06-2009, 10:46 AM
It looks like this board cupped. The highest point would be the center of the board, the lowest points being on edges and tips. That would explain the slipping even while using the masking tape to improve tracking abilities across the board tracking sensor.

I don't know the history of this board, but; I had a wide piece of oak, 11.3 X 35 inches display the same results after a carve. I cut my board the day before. I know it was straight at that time. I ran out of time and didn't use it until the following morning.

Overnight and during the following humid morning, the board cupped very badly. I didn't look for distortions in the board when I started the carve. I wish I had because the resulting carve was a disaster. I cut this board up and am using pieces as sled parts.

Bill...

Icutone2
11-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Where can this pom be downloaded from?
Lee

swhitney
11-06-2009, 03:55 PM
While not yet listed, the POM is usually available here:

http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=261&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=1

but is available in the POM subscription. If you are not a subscriber, then there is a wait...

Ike
11-06-2009, 04:01 PM
I hope it is a cupped board, I have had my machine do this and it was the Z motor. I had to replace the motor. I may be wrong but I had to check the plastic gears. Anyway if you are under warranty give CW a call.

Ike

RayTrek
11-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Hello Gean,

I was looking at your pix real close and it does look like corrupt lines of logic in your upload, I have not seen this happen before, but it is possible. I would Format the firmware card and flash machine code 1.153 in flash manager then up load the project again next I would turn the board over and carve the back side if it is not cupped that is and give it a go hate to waste a nice piece of Oak.
Let us know how it turns out.
Ray

Gean
11-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Ray,

I deleted it from my memory card, reloaded the whole thing into the designer software and then to the memory card. It's carving as I type this. The oak is actually three pieces that I planed and glued together. The grain matches so well that you can hardly tell that it isn't one large board. Will let everyone know how it carves.

Gean

Gean
11-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Carved the JOY Tree after reloading it onto the memory card and it came out fine. I even used the backside of the oak board. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Gean

c6craig
11-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Gean,

Glad to hear you got it done. I have 2 carved that sanded up real nice - I hope to be able to play with getting some stain on them today....but we shall see what the honey do list looks like :)

Craig

RayTrek
11-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Hi Gean,

To cool, Thanks for getting back to us, with a learning experience and success story.
I have also carved the Joy tree and working on the finish I hope to see yours and Craig’s Posted here.
Good day ~ Ray