PDA

View Full Version : New machine and user

ronboley
10-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I've just ordered a new machine along with the scanning probe and editor. I know there are a number of things that need to be addressed to be sucessful with the machine...shaft lube, etc...that I've read about here and elsewhere. Is there a compliation of tips somewhere on how to get started and to avoid the problems that seem to be prevalent on this machine? Any tips or advice on how to get the machine ready, on what other items should be purchased (or fabricated) to ease the use of the machine or software...or just "watch out for this" advice would be appreciated.

My machine should arrive in a week or two...so I'm starting my home-work now.

ddouglass
10-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Read the manual with it as far as lubing, set-up and testing/adjusting things go iot is pretty good.

fwharris
10-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Ron,

Welcome aboard!!

Things to do in the mean time:

Read all of the tips and tricks newsletters and get signed up! They have a wealth of info that addresses many of your questions.

If you have not done so down load the trial version of the software and start learning and playing.

CW has added this to there site http://carvewright.com/cms/learninglab

In my signature below is also a link "customer documentation" go to it and add it to your favorites. It can also be accessed through your one line account when you get your machine and get it registered.

Learn how to use the "search" feature here on the forum. Put "quote marks" on your search question.

If you really get stumped ask your questions on the forum.

Learn how to post pictures here on the forum as well like to see others work!!

Enjoy and happy carving!!

mtylerfl
10-27-2009, 06:35 PM
...I know there are a number of things that need to be addressed to be sucessful with the machine...shaft lube, etc...that I've read about here and elsewhere. Is there a compliation of tips somewhere on how to get started and to avoid the problems that seem to be prevalent on this machine?...

Hello and Welcome,

Please start by reading the Dec '07 and the Jan '08 Tips and Tricks (http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html) newsletters. Those two will help you avoid the most common "pilot errors" when first starting out, and how to do basic maintenance on your machine. The vast majority of initial problems folks have can be traced to a mistake(s) they made. Doesn't have to be that way - easily avoidable. I commend you for your openness to take pause and gather some information and tips before jumping in.

As you mentioned, it is good to follow the recommendation for lubing the flex shaft (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=1470) before using your machine. Chances are it is perfectly fine and ready to go, but lube it anyway just to err on the safe side.

That should put you in pretty good shape to get started having fun!

twiceretired
10-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Welcome to the forum. Read up on sleds, the extra 7” in length 3 ˝ each end you need to stay under the rollers, masking tape. I would do a search on the “Rock” chuck, or use the QC for a while and wait for the new chuck from LHR. Remember cleanliness is your best friend.