PDA

View Full Version : Vista GUI.EXE stopped working?

murph
10-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Shortly after updating to ver 1.153 CW begins to load and then gives an error "gui.exe stopped working" Ver 1.152 and previous versions had been working fine. Now even if I go back to 1.152 I get the same error. Does anyone know a fix for this problem?? I'm on a HP media center quad core, running windows Vista ultimate.

hess
10-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Shortly after updating to ver 1.153 CW begins to load and then gives an error "gui.exe stopped working" Ver 1.152 and previous versions had been working fine. Now even if I go back to 1.152 I get the same error. Does anyone know a fix for this problem?? I'm on a HP media center quad core, running windows Vista ultimate.

Man hate to tell you this... My HP did the same thing back on 50 Gui would just hang up and stop.

CW did well on trying to get me back up but did not work. Ended working with HP only way was to reset to factory settings. Did the backup like HP said..lost all docs pic and music the folders are there on the backup disks but they are empty.

Cant tell you how much I lost my music amounted to days worth lost all the pic of family that I had changed over to pc on
So manually back up all you pic amd doc and other stuff by making copies of all files you dont have
then you will have to reset to your factory settings than let it all update add carve Wright again and it will work. Just a hint this is not really an issue with CW I found that when I brought my contacts back in to place after the reset it did it again removed the contacts one by one until it worked must have been something ridding with the contact but Norton never found it

make sure you run your recovery disks and have them on hand if you need them

Back up took 7 disks dvd

I had thought about just putting XP Pro back on rather than vista but I chickened out

If you dont want to lose it make a copy good luck

seabass
10-27-2009, 03:19 PM
"gui.exe stopped working"

It Is a problem with the CarveWright designer software, NOT your computer.

I get that error once in a blue moon on every system from XP to windows 7 (the beta's and the final ultimate release). Some may never get that error, others it may happen once in awhile others every day.

Just always save after every change you make in designer.

DO NOT mess with your computer unless this happens on more software than just "designer" which I highly doubt it will.

On my network of 8 computers with three different OS this happens intermittently on every machine. Believe me it is NOT your computer!

ddouglass
10-27-2009, 05:25 PM
This is actually a Gigabyte program/service for your motherboard. There are some Spywares that use this file name to collect your data. Your best bet is to re-install the drivers for your motherboard. They should be on a disk from HP with all your drivers on it. If not you should be able to find it on their website.
The reason only Carvewright Designer is the only program that gives this error is the only a handfull of programs use it directly and most are not common programs.

atauer
10-27-2009, 05:37 PM

Try installing the software using the Windows Vista install procedure listed in the software manual on the Carvewright website. This should resolve the situation. Vista is security intensive and unless certain procedures are followed, you can encounter issues, including software crashes.

seabass
10-27-2009, 06:03 PM
ddouglass, now that makes sense to me!

Alas, two of my motherboards are not Gigabyte so I wonder if somehow I get the error because everything is networked together, does not seem that should matter though.

The error has happened on Windows 7 and XP...

murph
10-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I will try all the solutions and report back if something works. Maybe we can find a solution to this problem and advise others. thanks again for the fast feedback.

hess
10-27-2009, 08:17 PM
"gui.exe stopped working"

It Is a problem with the CarveWright designer software, NOT your computer.

I get that error once in a blue moon on every system from XP to windows 7 (the beta's and the final ultimate release). Some may never get that error, others it may happen once in awhile others every day.

Just always save after every change you make in designer.

DO NOT mess with your computer unless this happens on more software than just "designer" which I highly doubt it will.

On my network of 8 computers with three different OS this happens intermittently on every machine. Believe me it is NOT your computer!

SB did not mean to get your panties in a wad but in my case weather it was from designer which I suspect it still entailed a factory reset via the geeks at HP
I did not state it was right or wrong just wanted to point it you could lose all if you are not careful.

My 2 pc running XP never have the issue only the pos vista

Like Doug says vista does what it does more or less.

HP guys dont have a clue about the cw sw or the gui problems
my point here is simple backup, backup, BACKUP before you do anything. I had a lot of $ in pats the only thing that saved me was everything was on the x p units

seabass
10-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Hesstx I go commando so no problem, panties were never in a wad, don't wear any.. :-D

dbfletcher
10-27-2009, 08:23 PM
I go commando so no problem, panties were never in a wad, don't wear any.. :-D

TMI!!! TMI!!!!!

hess
10-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Hesstx I go commando so no problem, panties were never in a wad, don't wear any.. :-D

As long as the wife does not make you where hers!! Hate the wet spot lol:mrgreen:

murph
10-28-2009, 04:19 PM
I have tried reinstalling the motherboard chipset drivers, I have removed CW and reinstalled via vista install directions and still have the GUI.exe stopped working error. The strange thing is I can install CW via my old CD (ver 1.120) and it works. When I try to upgrade to 1.152 or 1.153 I start getting the error again. I have tried it by running the update from the CW site and by downloading it onto my PC and then running it. Any thoughts??

hess
10-28-2009, 07:08 PM
I have tried reinstalling the motherboard chipset drivers, I have removed CW and reinstalled via vista install directions and still have the GUI.exe stopped working error. The strange thing is I can install CW via my old CD (ver 1.120) and it works. When I try to upgrade to 1.152 or 1.153 I start getting the error again. I have tried it by running the update from the CW site and by downloading it onto my PC and then running it. Any thoughts??

Just a thought if you have not done it. Run As admin and see what happens

This sound SOOO much like what I had a few months ago

murph
10-28-2009, 07:34 PM
I have tried as Administrator and had the same problem. I don't wish to dump my computer and have to reload all my programs just to get carvewright to work. There has to be an easier fix than that! But, thanks again for all the help so far. I'll keep trying stuff.

want2b
10-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Just had a different problem, not related to carving with a PC I was setting up for my in-laws and suddenly on boot up got a 'corrupted xxx file'. Went to Microsoft and did a search and seem to remember something popping up about the GUI. Maybe you could give that a shot, who knows, may be something they fixed for a 'Service Pack" as they call them now. Know it seems strange when the older version of CC will run but nothing ventured?
Good luck,
Rick H

hess
10-29-2009, 12:02 AM
I have tried as Administrator and had the same problem. I don't wish to dump my computer and have to reload all my programs just to get carvewright to work. There has to be an easier fix than that! But, thanks again for all the help so far. I'll keep trying stuff.

Let us know when you find out

hess
10-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Just had a different problem, not related to carving with a PC I was setting up for my in-laws and suddenly on boot up got a 'corrupted xxx file'. Went to Microsoft and did a search and seem to remember something popping up about the GUI. Maybe you could give that a shot, who knows, may be something they fixed for a 'Service Pack" as they call them now. Know it seems strange when the older version of CC will run but nothing ventured?
Good luck,
Rick H
Rick you should be beat with a stick. No one looks at XXX files on the In laws PC no wonder you are having problems
BTW Vista just did a service pack 2 upgrade on me took a while at high speed

Ken Massingale
10-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Have you set rendering cache to 256 and turned hardware acceleration off?

murph
10-29-2009, 11:33 AM
My GForce 8400 GS will not support a change to accelaration. How would I go about changing the rendering cache?

seabass
10-29-2009, 12:15 PM
In the Design software try clicking edit, then click preferences and change the number.

Shacky
10-29-2009, 07:59 PM
GUI.exe is a carvewright executable. (GUI usually stands for Graphic User Interface)

Don't know if this will work, but try this. Go to C:Program files/Carvewright and find the file. Then right click on it choose properties, then go to compatibility, from the list choose Windows XP Service Pack 2. Close the dialog, restart your computer and see if that works.

It can't hurt anything.

Here's one more thing, try turning the Aeroglass graphics in Vista off. It uses graphic power big time, some programs automatically turn it off.

Here's another thought. You could copy or someone could send you the GUI.exe file from an old version and you could swap into program file. That might work, too.

murph
10-30-2009, 09:33 AM
I don't know why this worked but..I went into properties and changed compattibility to "Windows 98" and the program started working. Why it wouldn't work under "Windows XP SP2" will remain a mystery. At least I appear to be back in business. Thanks everyone for the help.

preetrar73
10-30-2009, 12:28 PM
I got my MacBook OSX less than 2 years ago and it has been working fine... at least, until a few months ago. Suddenly the battery wouldnt charge anymore the computer has to be plugged in to work and around the same time, I could no longer see any Flash-based media. Ive downloaded Adobe Flash Player at least ten different times, and each time it has said to install. But it still hasnt worked I cant view Youtube videos, upload pictures on many websites or... well, do half of what I want to do online.

Did my computer just go crazy, or what? I have also installed all the Mac updates as they become available, so I dont know what Im doing wrong.

Shacky
10-30-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't know why this worked but..I went into properties and changed compattibility to "Windows 98" and the program started working. Why it wouldn't work under "Windows XP SP2" will remain a mystery. At least I appear to be back in business. Thanks everyone for the help.

Your welcome.

Shacky
10-30-2009, 04:59 PM
I got my MacBook OSX less than 2 years ago and it has been working fine... at least, until a few months ago. Suddenly the battery wouldnt charge anymore the computer has to be plugged in to work and around the same time, I could no longer see any Flash-based media. Ive downloaded Adobe Flash Player at least ten different times, and each time it has said to install. But it still hasnt worked I cant view Youtube videos, upload pictures on many websites or... well, do half of what I want to do online.

Did my computer just go crazy, or what? I have also installed all the Mac updates as they become available, so I dont know what Im doing wrong.

I would buy a new battery and reinstall the OS.