PDA

View Full Version : pattern help

hess
10-26-2009, 06:31 PM
We have all see this pattern with Christs face in it, I have been trying to enlarge it to 18 inch long and the face seem to flatten out in the Carve. Is there any way to keep/make the face stand out like it does in the smaller one

robbrigg2
10-26-2009, 06:39 PM
We have all see this pattern with Christs face in it, I have been trying to enlarge it to 18 inch long and the face seem to flatten out in the Carve. Is there any way to keep/make the face stand out like it does in the smaller one

Hess,

When I do it it works fine. Are you sure you are enlarging the pattern to scale? If you enlarge by grabing the yellow node it will distort the pattern. Use the red corners or type the dimentions in yourself. But it must enlarge length and width wise to obtain the same effect. This makes the pattern 18 x 12.67 which means you have to use multiple boards and then glue them up.

SteveEJ
10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Hess,
I tried it and see what you see. My best guess is the width/height ratio is changed to keep the aspect ratio correct and wheb the depth is adjusted by the same amount it tops out and flattens the carving. You can really see it when looking at the thorns, mustache and nose.

I don't have any idea how to work around it.. Sorry

Edit: Rob, I scaled it by changing the length manually by entering it into the tool bar. The width automatically adjusted.

hogiewan
10-26-2009, 07:52 PM
when you are more than doubling the height and width, but the pattern is almost at the full carve depth, so there is no way to make it deeper. If you enlarge on the x and y axis, but not the z it will look flatter

jpaluck
10-26-2009, 08:43 PM
only work around would be to have an stl file of the pattern and icrease the size in the importer or another 3d program like hogw said the z has to increase with x and y to be porotionaly correct

bjbethke
10-26-2009, 08:49 PM
If you narrow the PTN to about 12 inches, length about19 inches, set the draft to medium and the bit optimization to best you will get a better image of the face.

hess
10-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Hess,

When I do it it works fine. Are you sure you are enlarging the pattern to scale? If you enlarge by grabing the yellow node it will distort the pattern. Use the red corners or type the dimentions in yourself. But it must enlarge length and width wise to obtain the same effect. This makes the pattern 18 x 12.67 which means you have to use multiple boards and then glue them up.

Thanks Rob

What with the glue up stuff? You dont have 13 inch wood? just kidding

I think I changed the ratio

hess
10-26-2009, 09:47 PM
when you are more than doubling the height and width, but the pattern is almost at the full carve depth, so there is no way to make it deeper. If you enlarge on the x and y axis, but not the z it will look flatter

Was wondering if you could set z to .50 rather than .70 to grain anything

hess
10-26-2009, 09:50 PM
If you narrow the PTN to about 12 inches, length about19 inches, set the draft to medium and the bit optimization to best you will get a better image of the face.

Thanks BJB that looks better than what I got I must have changed the ratio and not seen it. my hoz part of the cross is wider than it should be

I will try yours thanks all

hess
10-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Hess,
I tried it and see what you see. My best guess is the width/height ratio is changed to keep the aspect ratio correct and wheb the depth is adjusted by the same amount it tops out and flattens the carving. You can really see it when looking at the thorns, mustache and nose.

I don't have any idea how to work around it.. Sorry

Edit: Rob, I scaled it by changing the length manually by entering it into the tool bar. The width automatically adjusted.

Thanks Steve Hey hows your little red hot rod doing? Back from the oil change?