PDA

View Full Version : Sign problem

Shacky
10-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Boy, I don't know what I would do if it wasn't for the help I have been getting from this forum. thanks everybody.

Installed the rock chuck today and was anxious to do a carve. I decided to make this sign. (file attached) When it started carving it started with the design under the word "Welcome." I was surprised that it was carving the logo so deeply but decided to just let it go. Once it got about a third of the way through the design (just below the half way on the board) it suddenly started carving the board at the height I expected. But that caused a huge step in the design. I stopped the machine as the piece was obviously destined for the scrap pile.

It doesn't look to me like the bit slipped in the rc, does anyone have any idea what is happening here?

Thanks again,

Scott

dbfletcher
10-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Can you post a pic of what the carve looked like as well? It might have clues that will help better zero in on your issue.

Doug Fletcher

Shacky
10-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Here are some pictures. As you can see there are also some sort of streaks across the first portion of the carve while the second portion is nice and smooth.

I also attached the pattern.

Eagle Hollow
10-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Here are some pictures. As you can see there are also some sort of streaks across the first portion of the carve while the second portion is nice and smooth.

I also attached the pattern.

Hey, Shacky

Was your board at least 7 inches longer than your pattern? It doesn't seem to me that can be all of the problem...if any. It has "ramped" downhill from the start of the carve. If had started carving at the other end, then it would look like it had flipped up on one end as it came from under a roller and laid back down as it moved under the other roller.

I'm guessing it's a software issue but you'll need one our Guru's to address that part of the issue.

Good Luck and (hopefully), happy carving

Jerry

DocWheeler
10-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Shacky,

Did you stop it to clear the dust at any point? Wondered if the depth changes coincided with stopping the machine.

It appears to me to be an encoder issue, either mechanical or electrical.

Shacky
10-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Shacky,

Did you stop it to clear the dust at any point? Wondered if the depth changes coincided with stopping the machine.

It appears to me to be an encoder issue, either mechanical or electrical.

I did stop and vacuum out the dust at least twice. Whether the big step coincided with a cleanup, I am not sure. It certainly started too deep and seems to sort of "ramp" downward, as Eagle Hollow points out. (BTW, Yes the board was 7 inches longer).

Is this likely to just be one of those things that happen sometimes?

Shacky
10-26-2009, 09:15 PM
I flipped the board over, reloaded it and it seems to be doing fine this time.

Just a fluke?