PDA

View Full Version : Finding bit on two sided projects

Dastardly Den
05-20-2006, 06:18 PM
I've had the CW on a almost all two sided projects not find the bit after the board is flipped. It does the normal finding the bit steps but never does touch the board. Its usually around 3/16" off and that piece goes to the burn pile. I can run the project again and it will work fine. Has anyone else had this issue, it's very annoying! :?

cmorlier
05-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Does it give a failure, or does it just miss on the surface find?

Dastardly Den
05-22-2006, 09:55 AM
It just misses on the surface find.

wlhtrain
05-22-2006, 11:05 AM
I've had the same thing. At first thought that maybe I had not reloaded the board correctly, but it occurs too often. Maybe 3 out of 5 times. I agree with the distance of the offset that Dan is seeing. It takes 2 or 3 passes before the bit contacts the board once carving/cutting begins.

cmorlier
05-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Ok. I will look into it.

Dastardly Den
05-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Chris have you been able to dublicate this?

cmorlier
05-26-2006, 11:04 AM
I have not been able to duplicate this problem myself, although some of the guys here in the office think they may have encountered it.

Just curious, are you flipping the board over immediately (<5 min) after the first side has completed carving or does it usually take a few minutes before you get around to flipping it over? When I run projects, I usually go back to work on other things and may not get back to the machine for 15 minutes after it completes. So I am wondering if there is a time factor to this problem.

For the next firmware release, we will have an option to retouch the surface with the bit in case it has missed or touched a bad spot on the board. This clearly is not a solution, but at least it should make the problem recoverable.

Dastardly Den
05-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Usually I'd say between five to ten minutes before I flip the board.

cajunpen
05-26-2006, 03:07 PM
I am trying to build a pen chest and want to put a 1/4x1/4 dado on the lower part of the front & back (to accept the box's bottom). I also need to put a 3/4" x 3/8" deep rabbit on either side to accept the end panels. How do I do that? I only have the bits that came with the machine, but plan on ordering some more this week. I think I have the dado figured out, but for some reason I can't get the rabbit wide enough. Any help will be appreciated.

Bill

Dan-Woodman
05-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Bill
this can be done with the bits that come with the cw. It will just be more work with the software. A 1/4" bit would be much better for the 1/4x1/4dado even though they don't show a 1/4" bit in the software. Just get one the same length as the 1/8" bit. Turn the board over and draw a straight line where you want your dado. or if you do use the 1/8" bit draw two lines 1/8" apart. It goes by the center of the bit As for the 3/4x 3/8 you can draw a rectangle with a carve region I think and select the 1/8" bit or again draw several staight lines. mybe try it on scrap first.