PDA

View Full Version : "carving pattern spits board out the back"

Tacis
10-25-2009, 11:10 PM
I get a check board tracking sensor. No issue. I go through the process and it gets all the way to "carving pattern" and then spits the board out the back. Any ideas? I have just received the machine back from LHR. had a successful 1.5 hour carve and then this. On the second round, i had a skipping issue. Would move the board an 1/8-1/4 inch and continue to carve the pattern. I have a link to the walk through how far I am getting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdY7E2Abvco

The noise of a machine running is OLD FAITHFUL, getting close to three hundred hours now.

Ike
10-25-2009, 11:19 PM
I get a check board tracking sensor. No issue. I go through the process and it gets all the way to "carving pattern" and then spits the board out the back. Any ideas? I have just received the machine back from LHR. had a successful 1.5 hour carve and then this. On the second round, i had a skipping issue. Would move the board an 1/8-1/4 inch and continue to carve the pattern. I have a link to the walk through how far I am getting.

The noise of a machine running is OLD FAITHFUL, getting close to three hundred hours now.

When this happens to me I clean my board sensor. Most of the time I wet my thumb and wipe it off. another trick is more light. If the board is too dark it will not see it and spit it out.

Last resort remove the 2 small screws being careful not to lose them and blow the sensor out. If all fails you may need a new sensor.

Ike

TIMCOSBY
10-25-2009, 11:49 PM
also has to be planned flat and sqaure. try a diff board and see if it still does the same thing.

Jeff_Birt
10-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Also check to see if you have a stuck pressure roller. The machine looks for the pressure roller to be released before trying to measure the board length. If it does not see the roller released then it spits the board out. You most likely have a bit of sawdust jammed up at the front (keypad side) of the pressure rollers.

Tacis
10-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the tip. I did notice the rollers were "stiff". I had just finished attempting a carve. Anyone have any ideas on what would cause a "skip" in the carving. Before this issue started, I had stopped a carve. It had went an inch and then skipped and eighth of an inch and then started carving again, went about two inches and then did a eight of an inch skip and this was hidden from me. When I was watching it, it had went about an inch an a half and then did a inch skip and started to carve. I took the card and put it in 'OLD FAITHFUL" and carved the pattern with no problem. I will upload some pics to illustrate later. "Could this be tied to a dirty board sensor as well?

PCW
10-26-2009, 08:53 AM
A good place to start would be using the sensor check (0 then 7 on the keypad).

jab73180
10-26-2009, 09:06 AM
i agree with tim, the board has to be perfect in order to read on the roller. if there is a "hiccup" in the board and it doesnt contact the roller its gonna keep moving until the brass roller moves again. you may wanna try the digitalwoodshop AL trick and put masking tape on the bottom of the board where the roller rides on it. also check to see if the rubber o ring is on the brass roller. if you have a really smooth board and no o ring, it will skip.

bjbethke
10-26-2009, 09:29 AM

(I go through the process and it gets all the way to "carving pattern" and then spits the board out the back. Any ideas?)

The most likely problem for this is you have a presser roller that stays compressed. The switch is packed with carving chips. Do a roller sensor check.

Do you have a downdraft system installed? If not-You may have the downdraft slot blocked with saw dust.

Rapidroy
10-26-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm new at this but don't you need to pull out the red handle to lock the head down?

Tacis
10-26-2009, 09:40 AM
I used duck tape, however this has been a challenging piece of wood. I did have a rough edge and planed it and made sure we were square. I did do a sensor check and everything does check out. The only time I get the "Check tracking sensor, press enter to cont" is at the beginning. Also, I have gotten a couple of Fatal Z-axis errors. Any of this additional info provide some insight?

dbfletcher
10-26-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm new at this but don't you need to pull out the red handle to lock the head down?

You dont "NEED" to.. and I think the consensus is many of us stopped using the lever long ago. With the rock it is even less likely to be needed. I think the purpose of that lever was to insure the head could not "vibrate" loose when doing a carving.

I've never had a problem with out using it thou.

Doug Fletcher

Edit: Now if you have had problems with your head rising during a carve in the past.. then by all means, I would continue to use the lever.... or determin where all the excess vibration is coming from. It doesnt hurt to use the red lever.

Tacis
10-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Sometimes a disassembly and reassembly get that one piece of dust out of the way. Thanks for all of the help