PDA

View Full Version : Machine is locked vertically!!!

Dubliner
05-20-2006, 04:25 PM
I got my machine about a mont ago and today was the first time I got to use it. Well I raised the head to install a bit and it locked. I read that you have to use a "nail or allen key" by finding as hole in the raise/lower threaded rod and release it. I cant believe this is the advised method, nonetheless, I can not get the head to release. I havent even gotten to switch the machine on yet. This is very disheartening, whats is the solution here? Dissatisfied in Austin, Dubliner

Dan-Woodman
05-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Hey Dubliner
as you face the keypad then on the far side of machine in the middle is a threaded shaft . Follow the shaft down and there is a hole in the shaft just above the table. Insert a alan wrench or somthing and turn the shaft clockwise a few turns. That should free the head.
I hear that you shouldn't raise the head closer than 1" to the top.

John
05-20-2006, 05:50 PM
http://i4.tinypic.com/1073ots.jpg

Jwade
05-20-2006, 09:17 PM
John- great picture and nice clean machine!

Dubliner- Dont get discouraged. I did the same thing. First thing out of the box-cranked it all the way up to check out my new 'money carver' and it locks up. :x It is all part of the learning curve-which I have yet to find the top of.
Enjoy your flying chips.
Jwade

Dubliner
05-20-2006, 09:46 PM
I tried that and it will not move. It turns, but the head will not lower. I did find that the sand paper removes skin easily :(
I guess I will have to ship the machine back.

cajunpen
05-20-2006, 09:58 PM
I did the same thing. First thing out of the box-cranked it all the way up to check out my new 'money carver' and it locks up. :x It is all part of the learning curve-which I have yet to find the top of.

I appreciate the advice and Dubliner taking time to post his problem. I am expecting to have my machine delivered on Monday - it was supposed to be here Friday, thanks DHL - At least reading about Dubliner's mistake will save me from making that one. I guess that is why this forum is so worthwhile - learning from others mistakes. I sure hope I don't get to post any errors, but I suspect that someone will learn from my mistakes down the road :P

soomro
05-21-2006, 12:33 AM
Dubliner, I had the same thing. Clockwise turning is as you are viewing from the top so make sure you're turning the shaft in right direction. I had to make couple of full turns before it got free enough to crank it down. If you were in Dallas area, I could have gotten with you to help you with this.

Good Luck
Munawar

BobHill
06-25-2006, 06:09 PM
I found that removing the right side cover gave one a better availability to the hole and made the turning of the large screw easier and no loss of skid from the sand paper. A T-handle allen wrench and philips screw driver easily does the job for the cover removal and return.

Bob Hill