PDA

View Full Version : Edge Rout Help

Griz64
10-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Maybe I am an idiot..ok not maybe...but if I have a project I have carved and have the extra 7 inches needed to stay under the rollers how do I rout the edges? Do I have to remove the original and do something else to edge rout? I am not really sure what I need to do or if it is possible to do it one step or not. What I am looking to do is a bunch of plaques that are about 3x4 or 4x5 but I want them to have edge routing. Can someone please help me out? I know someone will have the answer for me so I say thank you in advance.

DocWheeler
10-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Griz,

I have done several things with edge routing on my CC - still have not made my router cabinet!

I do not route all the way through the board - maybe 1/2" of a 3/4" board. So, the 3.5" ends continue to hold the board. You then need to use the CC to cut out the piece or use a saw to complete the edges.

Edit: Another post made me realize that I really didn't use the edge route, I routed lines I created that left the 3.5" on the ends - sorry.

AskBud
10-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Maybe I am an idiot..ok not maybe...but if I have a project I have carved and have the extra 7 inches needed to stay under the rollers how do I rout the edges? Do I have to remove the original and do something else to edge rout? I am not really sure what I need to do or if it is possible to do it one step or not. What I am looking to do is a bunch of plaques that are about 3x4 or 4x5 but I want them to have edge routing. Can someone please help me out? I know someone will have the answer for me so I say thank you in advance.

This MPC has an edge route, with a V-bit and a cut-out with max-Pass-Depth as well.
When I place the wood in the unit it was 24" long, which was 7" longer than my design.
AskBud

jab73180
10-24-2009, 09:09 PM
i have all the tools so it is easy for me. just use a chop saw or radial arm saw (i have both), cut your project to length. then use a scrap piece of wood and set your router and/or table to the depth you want and rout away. i know the machine can do it, but i would never edge rout a board with the carvewright. i think it causes undo stress and racks up the time on the machine. but i also have the other tools to do it my way. if someone bought just the machine because they didnt want to invest in the other tools, thats all right i guess, i just wouldnt do it. i dont think i would even own any other bits than the machine came with, other than the v bits for centerline text, maybe the ball nose bit for decorative outlines and maybe a smaller carving bit for more detail. just my 2 cents.

Chief38
10-25-2009, 04:54 PM
The edge route button in designer does just that, routes the edges of the board not the design. What I believe you want is what AskBud shows and that is routing along a path in your design.

bjbethke
10-25-2009, 06:18 PM
This MPC has an edge route, with a V-bit and a cut-out with max-Pass-Depth as well.
When I place the wood in the unit it was 24" long, which was 7" longer than my design.
AskBud
Bud your MPC does not have an edge rout. I never use that function to do the carving. It is great to use that to make a screen print to show your buyers. You would need a board that is cut to the finished project, may work with a sled. I use my router table.

Shacky
10-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Ok, I am a newbie but I found this question interesting and decided to see if I could figure it out.

Here's what I did: I selected the closed path line around the design and deselected cut, then I chose the 3/8 classical router bit. I then copied the closed path line and pasted it. I choose the cut path tool, set a maximum cut pass and adusted the pasted path to the proper location.

It will now rout the design and then cut it.

Seeing as I am brand new, this is probably not the right way to do it and I am anxious to hear from one of the more experienced members how to do it better.

bjbethke
10-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Ok, I am a newbie but I found this question interesting and decided to see if I could figure it out.

Here's what I did: I selected the closed path line around the design and deselected cut, then I chose the 3/8 classical router bit. I then copied the closed path line and pasted it. I choose the cut path tool, set a maximum cut pass and adusted the pasted path to the proper location.

It will now rout the design and then cut it.

Seeing as I am brand new, this is probably not the right way to do it and I am anxious to hear from one of the more experienced members how to do it better.
Almost right, DO NOT SELECT BIT on a cutout, the cut out will select the bit.

You do not need another path for your cutout - you can add your cutout to the same path. see image.

Shacky
10-25-2009, 09:35 PM
BJB,

I'm with you on not selecting the bit for cut out. But, I am not clear on not needing another path.

How do you assign a rout on a path and then a cut out on the same path? I know this is probably elementary to most, but you gotta start somewhere!

Thanks,

Scott

bjbethke
10-25-2009, 09:44 PM
BJB,

I'm with you on not selecting the bit for cut out. But, I am not clear on not needing another path.

How do you assign a rout on a path and then a cut out on the same path? I know this is probably elementary to most, but you gotta start somewhere!

Thanks,

Scott
Just select the bit to make the rout then select the cutout icon. works every time.

Shacky
10-25-2009, 10:12 PM
OK. Great!

Thanks,

Scott

Griz64
10-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks to everyone. You guys are the best and I knew I could count on you all. Gonna go and give it shot right now. Thanks again