PDA

View Full Version : New Thread on Dust Collection

Shacky
10-23-2009, 09:22 AM
So, after owning my machine for a week or two, the one thing that I really want to get under control is the DUST!

I know there have been threads before and venders offering devices, but I wanted to start a fresh thread asking folks to share how they collect the dust.

I see a small collector at Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=31810 that I am considering, or do you need a unit with more hp? But, what to do with one it once you have it?

What I hope to do is cut down on the piles of sawdust in the machine after every carve and feel like I have to stop the machine every 20 minutes to suck out a coffee can worth of sawdust!

So, what are the best solutions so far as I know I am ready to do something?!

captainkidd
10-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I am currently looking into using a simular unit from Grizzly, I haven't bought it yet but I believe it will be sufficient to at least keep the dust managable. Eventually when I get my shop built I am going to install a real nice Cyclone system but I do not have the room for anything to big right now since I am just working out of my garage.

B.Kidd

Fletcher
10-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Here's what I did with a small dust collector... I built a stand for the machine and below the machine I put in a shelf to mount the DC to. Then I used the method shown by gwizpro to build the actual part that sits in the machine.

Here are a couple pics...

dbfletcher
10-23-2009, 10:34 AM
I am currently looking into using a simular unit from Grizzly, I haven't bought it yet but I believe it will be sufficient to at least keep the dust managable. Eventually when I get my shop built I am going to install a real nice Cyclone system but I do not have the room for anything to big right now since I am just working out of my garage.

B.Kidd

If you do get the grizzly, you may want H4340 Dust Filter Bag for G1163 3.0 micron bag for it as well. Dont order the one that shows on the accessories page (G5560). It is NOT a direct replacement.

Doug Fletcher

Shacky
10-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Here's what I did with a small dust collector... I built a stand for the machine and below the machine I put in a shelf to mount the DC to. Then I used the method shown by gwizpro to build the actual part that sits in the machine.

Here are a couple pics...

With your set up, you removed the back cover? Also, how is it working and where did you get your dust collector? It's a nice looking setup.

chebytrk
10-23-2009, 10:50 AM
If you do get the grizzly, you may want H4340 Dust Filter Bag for G1163 3.0 micron bag for it as well. Dont order the one that shows on the accessories page (G5560). It is NOT a direct replacement.

Doug Fletcher

Hey Doug,
Would you happen to have the specs on the table that you built for the CW? I'd like to make that setup for my CW as well. Thanks in advance.
JerryB

dbfletcher
10-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Hey Doug,
Would you happen to have the specs on the table that you built for the CW? I'd like to make that setup for my CW as well. Thanks in advance.
JerryB

Im assuming you meant to refer that to "Fletcher". I know.. confusing... his posting name just happens to be my last name. I use Delta portable miter stands with my two machines.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-36-136-Universal-Miter-Stand/dp/B0009WFYLY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1256313149&sr=1-4

I like them becuase it has built in in-feed and outfeed rollers. And I can collapse the stand and just roll the machine and all to a corner. I currently only have a down draft shoot for mine (made on the CW from a 2x4), and i mounted the CW to the stand using 2x4 with a but of holes srilled for holding bits, etc. So far i really like the way it works.

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
10-23-2009, 02:43 PM
I am really sold on the internal tray version like shown above, I am going to try that version soon....

Just get the best micron filter you can afford... I have had the cheaper bags and Hacked up the result at night... I have learned....

I saw a down draft with a furnace filter as the main filtering element. I had thought about that later and wondered if it provided a adequate filter for the dust.

When I spray air around the Z belt I really kick up a bunch of dust, with the work light I see it being sucked into the dust collector hood.

Airborne dust is a real problem in most shops.... I sometimes wear a respirator in the wood shop is I am doing sanding and running the machines.

Good Luck with your setup.

AL

Shacky
10-23-2009, 05:45 PM
So, will a small under the cabinet collector like Fletcher has pictured collect the saw dust so you don't have to stop a project and vaccum up? Or is it just going to help with the stray dust that gets everything in your shop dusty?

seabass
10-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Shacky I have no dust to clean up when using the port I purchased from:

http://www.ringneckblues.com/Dust_Collector_Insert.php

And I mean a thimble full of dust after a carve at most.

I use either a 3HP cyclone from Grizzly or a Jet 1150 CFM canister Dust collector connected to the 4" port. I am sure this version would do the same keeping the machine virtually clean throughout the carve.

Shacky
10-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Shacky I have no dust to clean up when using the port I purchased from:

http://www.ringneckblues.com/Dust_Collector_Insert.php

And I mean a thimble full of dust after a carve at most.

I use either a 3HP cyclone from Grizzly or a Jet 1150 CFM canister Dust collector connected to the 4" port. I am sure this version would do the same keeping the machine virtually clean throughout the carve.

That's what I want to hear! But either of those dust collectors you mention have a lot more power than the small under cabinet versions, right?

seabass
10-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Yes they are more powerful, but a small 650CFM should still do the same thing. Heck my Festool CT 33 with I think 135 CFM keeps it almost spotless as well.

chebytrk
10-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Im assuming you meant to refer that to "Fletcher". I know.. confusing... his posting name just happens to be my last name. I use Delta portable miter stands with my two machines.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-36-136-Universal-Miter-Stand/dp/B0009WFYLY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1256313149&sr=1-4

I like them becuase it has built in in-feed and outfeed rollers. And I can collapse the stand and just roll the machine and all to a corner. I currently only have a down draft shoot for mine (made on the CW from a 2x4), and i mounted the CW to the stand using 2x4 with a but of holes srilled for holding bits, etc. So far i really like the way it works.

Doug Fletcher

Right, I actually meant Fletcher's CW stand that he built holding the DC underneath. I like it cause it looks really easy to move around. I like the drawer in too to hold some of the CW tools and stuff. So........ Fletcher, if you're out there buddy and have got some type of plans you used to build that table............. Thanks, : ) JerryB

dbfletcher
10-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Right, I actually meant Fletcher's CW stand that he built holding the DC underneath. I like it cause it looks really easy to move around. I like the drawer in too to hold some of the CW tools and stuff. So........ Fletcher, if you're out there buddy and have got some type of plans you used to build that table............. Thanks, : ) JerryB

yep.. same reason i went with the miter saw stands.. sure easy to move around.. and dont take up much space at all when it is collapsed and vertical.. put u have th added benifit of built in infeed/outfeed rollers... but I suppose thye are a little pricy. I just used amazon credit card points to get mine.

Doug Fletcher

Fletcher
10-23-2009, 11:24 PM

Hi Jerry and Doug(dbfletcher),

Firstly DB - sorry about the name thing, I hadn't seen you yet when I registered.

I don't have any plans for the table unfortunately... I just sort of built it to suit the machine. Those handles aren't a drawer actually, they were meant to use to tilt the table onto it's wheels for moving. But I actually tend to grab the CW by it's handles(it is bolted down) and tilt it, so the handles aren't required at all. The DC setup at the machine can be seen here http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12995 or here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhfM0jBekww

The stand is just simple 2x4's made into a rectangle with an MDF top. Then I screwed legs into the inside corners of the rectangle. Then I added a smaller rectangle for stability down below which also holds the DC(bolted down as well).

I hope this helps!

Fletcher
10-23-2009, 11:34 PM
With your set up, you removed the back cover? Also, how is it working and where did you get your dust collector? It's a nice looking setup.

Hi Shacky,

I didn't remove the cover, I just worked around the safety switches. I know it is not recommended but I bought a refurb machine and there is no warranty to mess up. I also added little self-adhesive rubber domes(clear) to the lid to keep it from resting on the flex-shaft when opened during operation.

fwharris
10-24-2009, 12:21 AM
That's what I want to hear! But either of those dust collectors you mention have a lot more power than the small under cabinet versions, right?

Shacky,

My Delta DC is a 650 cfm ( same rating as the one you had the link to) and it does a great job on the dust collection with the DC-Insert even with the down draft port open. You should be just fine with that one for a small shop. But I would also go with the finer micron filter that was suggested by Doug.

SeaBass,

Thanks for the great feedback on the insert! Glad to hear it is doing the job..

Shacky
10-24-2009, 03:35 AM
I ordered the DC-Insert and a 1 hp dust collector with 914 CFM from Harbor Freight.

I am looking forward to installing this and thank you once again for great advice!

fwharris
10-24-2009, 08:58 AM
I ordered the DC-Insert and a 1 hp dust collector with 914 CFM from Harbor Freight.

I am looking forward to installing this and thank you once again for great advice!

Shacky,

I really appreciate the order, thanks! You should get very good performance with that size of a DC. Plenty of suction for down draft and top collection.