PDA

View Full Version : CUTTING OUT A PICTURE INSERT

cajunpen
05-19-2006, 04:00 PM
I am trying to make some 5"x7" picture frame inserts. I have what I think will work - am I right or do I need to start over again?

Dan-Woodman
05-19-2006, 06:09 PM
your opening is 4.817 x 4.499 . thats not too close to 5x7.
I think what I would do is cut a hole about 4 1/4 x 6 1/4 on the front, then turn your board over to the back,and rout a 3/8 recess aroud your opening to make it 5x7. about 3/8" deep.

cajunpen
05-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Hi Dan, yes, I knew that the opening was not 5x7 - I was looking for the overall size to be 5x7. Sorry, I didn't make that clear. Does it look like I have it set-up correctly for the cutout?

I actually want the 5x7 project to fit in a picture frame (under the glass) with whatever portion of the picture that "exposes itself" in the cutout opening. Also, I think that I have the material set for 1/4" thick - I probably should reduce that to 1/8" thick.

I do appreciate you taking time to respond to my quesitons.

Dan-Woodman
05-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Hey Bill
your wood is set at .391 witch is over 25/64" witch is 1/64" 0ver 3/8".
If your use 1/8" in your project you could double stick tape it to another --
say 1/2" board,cut it out on carvewright and peeloff 1/2" board.
Did you know that you have ( anna) set for centerline cut and 2006 set for raster cut. and I did'nt see any bit selected for the center cutout .I'm not sure if you have to have to or not .

cajunpen
05-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the help. I have corrected the mix-up in carving styles for the text, they are both set for Raster now. I assume that Raster is the preferred method for carving the text?

Also, when cutting through a piece - is it always a good idea to have a "backer piece" to keep the bit from cutting into the machine? I noticed that you recommend taping it to a 1/2" piece, which would make sense for protecting the machine.

They are supposed to deliver my machine tomorrow, 5/20/06 - sure hope it gets here - I'm ready to get started. Do you think that this picture frame project is good for a first project - or should I tackle something easier first?

Thaks for all of your help.

Dan-Woodman
05-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Bill
this is a good first project ,I think I would use a longer board, and then
cut off the extra after carving. Your 7" length is at the minimum
If your going to use 1/2" backer board then tape your 1/8" project board to it in places where the bit won't cut into. You can also program
it to only cut a little more than 1/8" and not thru the backer board.
I like to use centerline for lettering, raster is used for carvings.
Text is usually 1/4" deep, there may not be much detail in your lettering if your going to use 1/8" board.
The 1/2" backer will asure there is enough wood on the sensor.1/4" wood or less is too flexable for the sensor unless its really stiff like oak or something.
A longer board will keep your project under the rollers.