PDA

View Full Version : Battery backup worked

autobodyman
10-21-2009, 11:13 PM
I bought a CyberPower 1350 for my wife's computer (really ;-)) It's supposed to handle up to 850watts of draw though it did mention something about not for use with motors. Hooked my machine to it and scanned, said it wasn't drawing any watts at all, read 0 for the entire scan. Also said I'd get about 2 hours on the battery if the power failed. Can't figure that one out with it drawing 0 watts, I would have thought it would last longer.

Anyway, I was a bit nervous about it but hooked it up to do some carving just to see what the machine pulls. Seems to vary greatly depending on the load on the bit, start-up it spiked at 500 watts, most times it ran around 280-390 watts, did pull 421 a couple times doing an almost ¾" deep pass. All these readings were using the 1/16" carving bit in some hard maple and some walnut.

My thought was if the power failed I could open the lid (or press stop) and maybe make it threw the power outage, running it wouldn't last long, the unit said it estimated 10-12 minutes at the current draw (around 350 watts at the time) but I figure I'd get 1 to 1½ hours paused.

Sorry if this was an unwanted post, didn't know if anyone had tried this.
Thanks ~Mike

www.go3d.us
10-22-2009, 02:40 AM
I used to run the cw on a 400 watt power inverter without a problem.

dbfletcher
10-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Personally, I would be a leary of doing this. Most lower cost UPS's output either a square wave or stepped sine wave. The native power your machine is expecting is a true sine wave. It may work for a while, but I would have to think it will greatly reduce the life of your powersupply.

I'm not sure how square or stepped waved would affect the motors as I've never had the need to do so.

Now the higher end UPS's do typically output true sine waves, but generally the are in the $1000 and up range.

Doug Fletcher