PDA

View Full Version : Starting The Carving Machine

woodwright706
10-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi folks I just received my CarveWright this week and could really use some advice. I scaned a Mandolin back and top I think I did alright with that. I touched it up in pattern edit OK and uploaded it to card ok. But when I put card in carver It measures board ok and I have an extra 4 inches at each end.
then it ask me to install 1/16th carving bit, I do it and it goes through routine of checking depth then goes to middle of board, spots and tells me to install bit again. It is like it does not know it is in there. Thanks Woodwright706:confused:

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 06:50 PM
It sounds like the bit plate isnt extending all the way out on the right. Many of us have that problem. If you search on "bit plate" with the quotes you will find a bunch of posts and various solutions. Good luck.

Btw... since most of my project are les that 14" in width, I just use a small peiece of foam behind the bit plate to always have it in the "out" positions. It seems to be the simplest and most relaiable solution.

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
10-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Lots of stuff in tips and tricks.

You must get in the habit of watching the bit flag and the bit touching the bit flag. That tells you SO much about the health of your machine.

I am willing to bet SO many Air Carves were caused by wood chips in the Z Belt or dirty rails. Watching the bit flag hit, 2 hits normal, 3 hits it found one hit not good... That is a indicator for you to stop right there and clean the Z.

AL

woodwright706
10-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks dbfletcher I will sure check it out

woodwright706
10-19-2009, 07:00 PM
The bit plate comes out two times and the bit touches it. This is a new machine has not carved any thing yet but it did can about 8 hrs.

woodwright706
10-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Thats a typo scan is the word.

Digitalwoodshop
10-19-2009, 07:06 PM
To check the machine to be sure it is working properly, draw a rectangle and carve region and let the machine carve a 2 inch square....

AL

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Also, since you said it is hitting the bit plate twice, can you describe the exact sequence after you insert the bit when the chuck is in the middle and hit enter... (ie.. it normally briefly spins, goes to to keypad side.. touches down, etc, etc). Perhaps that will help shed some light.

I was gonna bet $ it was not hitting the bit plate... everytime that happened to me that was the cause.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

woodwright706
10-19-2009, 07:26 PM
It is doing just as you said; spins a little goes to the keypad side goes down beside the sled, then touches the top of the sled side then goes down to the board one time but does not touch it, then to the plate and back I think I have it in the right order. I played with the board thickness it didn't change anything. woodwright706

unitedcases
10-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Try reloading the carve on the card again. I had that happen once and all I did was reload and it worked. A quirk!

woodwright706
10-19-2009, 07:29 PM
didital woodshop I will try the 2inch carving tomorrow thanks

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 07:30 PM
It is doing just as you said; spins a little goes to the keypad side goes down beside the sled, then touches the top of the sled side then goes down to the board one time but does not touch it, then to the plate and back I think I have it in the right order. I played with the board thickness it didn't change anything. woodwright706

Whoa.. when it goes down tot eh board, what does the screen say? It sounds like that is when it is "finding surface"... and it should touch the board twice.

Bit then I also thought it only did that right before it starts to carve... and that wold be after it was happy with the bit checks.

Doug Fletcher

woodwright706
10-19-2009, 07:31 PM
I did the reload thing did not help. Thanks woodwright706

woodwright706
10-19-2009, 07:37 PM
It really touches down beside the sled sideboard then touches the top of the sideboard and then goes down toward the bed between the work piece and the side board but does not go all the way down. I have 1 inch clearence between the sideboard and the work piece is that the proper way to place workpiece? Woodwright706

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
If Im understanding what you saying.. u have a gap btween the side boards on the sled and your work peice? Can you take a picture of yor sled with work peice? I dont think I have seen ne or carving configured like that... but it might be ok. A picture will really clear things up.

Doug Fletcher

woodwright706
10-19-2009, 07:50 PM
You are understanding it correctly, there is a 1 inch gap, I could probally upload photo at a later date my machine is not handy right now.

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 07:53 PM
ok.. well if possible i would suggest trying to do it without the gap. I think i have exhausted my expertise now so I will let the more knowlegable field your quetions now. I'd rather not give you suspect infomration.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
10-19-2009, 07:57 PM
It really touches down beside the sled sideboard then touches the top of the sideboard and then goes down toward the bed between the work piece and the side board but does not go all the way down. I have 1 inch clearence between the sideboard and the work piece is that the proper way to place workpiece? Woodwright706

Your board placement should be as you wish it to be.
The standard (as I see it) is that the bit will touch the board twice (on the keyboard side) to verify the top surface of the board prior to performing the carve.

You will need to place an extra shim-block in the void where you know that the bit will be touching. That block should be the same height as your sled sideboard.
AskBud

TIMCOSBY
10-19-2009, 09:34 PM
the scanning type sled? if so that may not work. try just putting a board in and carving something to see if it works without the sled.

woodwright706
10-20-2009, 09:52 AM
You are right on target Ask Bud, I did as you said it is working fine and carving a beautiful mandolin top as I speak. One other question how concerned should I be about saw dust build up in the machine? Ihave been blowing it out with air about every 10 minutes. Thank all you guys so much that joined in to help me.

unitedcases
10-20-2009, 03:54 PM
You will get a variety of answers on how to clean the machine. I personally stop about every hour or so depending on the type of carving and just vacuum. I will one day join the ranks of the dust collector gang.

wasacop75
10-20-2009, 07:18 PM
my down draft only gets what has fallen into the slot in the bottom so every half hour or so i stop and vacumn.

then every day after carvings, wipe down the inside and vac off the motor, oil the slide rails for the z truck and a little wd40 on the bits.
anything to make this easier to get thru the next carve.

While they can be maintenance heavy, it is still a great machine..