PDA

View Full Version : Very Disappointed

powertek
10-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Hello all,

I received my Carvewright machine on Saturday October 17. After watching the DVD, reading the manual, I proceeded to create my first project.

I uploaded the project to the memory card, inserted the wood, lowered the machine down, selected the project. From that point on I kept getting the error message that the front roller was stuck. I had to remove the side panel to clear the error. I finally got it un-stuck with the help of a Carvewright tech and Michael Tyler from CarveBuddy.com. and was able to run my first project. After running that project I used compressed air to blow as much debris as possible out of it and used a shop vac

I attempted to run my second project later today and now I keep getting an error stating a tracking roller problem. While talking to a Carvewright tech on the telephone he found that the sandpaper belt on the rear of the machine was misaligned which is causing the tracking error according to the tech.

They now want me to take the remove the sandpaper belt and realign it.

I am at this point very disappointed with this machine as it looks like I am going to have to take the thing apart in one way or the other each time I do a carve. This machine should have worked without a problem out of the box.

I plan to return the machine for a refund.

twiceretired
10-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Take a look at this thread, it may be an easy task.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10651&highlight=belt+trick

Welcome to the Forum, when you do a search use " " around your word and you will get good results, maybe more that you want.

Also go here and you will find a wealth of information.

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/customer_service

Good Luck and post pictures of your projects, we love to see them.

Jeff_Birt
10-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Shipping companies can be very hard on things. I keep hoping that the users manual will include a section on a few simple things to check to make sure that the machine is still square when you get it out of the box and set it up. IMHO any machine tool should be checked over and aligned if needed. Think about it when you get a table saw, band saw, etc you would probably first check to see that everything was perfectly square first.

If you have a belt alignment issue there is a chance that the head (part that cranks up/down) is not level with the base, that is one of the most common issues after shipping (not very common have not seen a case of it reported here for many months.)

Take heatr, get things lined back up and I bet you'll be quite happy.

Digitalwoodshop
10-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Like Jeff said, the head may not be level and the other BIG cause of a sand paper belt rolled to the side is putting the board in at an angle....

Tips and Tricks has a TON of other PILOT error things that we have all found. Yes, the roller was stuck from the factory, not much you can do about that....

Since you are still using the QC if you decide to keep the machine you need to read up on using the QC, proper lubrication, Bit Holder Set Screw Lock tite and SO MUCH MORE.....

SO you have a choice.... Turn in in or read up on using the machine. Personally, I think reading up would be more fun.

Part of being a TEK is learning new equipment....

AL:mrgreen:

unitedcases
10-19-2009, 07:18 PM
We all had problems out of the box. I think most of the time it is the shipping company. We all encountered problems and still encounter problems. Before you know it you will have no problems and when you see an error or problem with the machine you will know how to fix it. But it is a lengthy road to get there. But patience and alot of reading will get you there. Good Luck if you decide to keep the machine. I highly recommend you to.

want2b
10-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Bottom line is, are you a person who wants it to work now and forever without any problems, or are you someone who is willing to accept the fact that anything with all the software & moving parts to make this machine work will need you to become involved.
I agree that your expectations of initial ability to use the machine a valid, still seems to be some 'quality' issues with new machines. I also feel as others that LHR needs to establish something in their testing process of new machines to limit the problems. I understand that shipping can cause problems but if the machine is that sensitive then increase the protection, software doesn't seem to be a problem, Maybe the inflated air bags would absorb the bouncing more that the foam? I'm not an engineer but seems to me they should be able to test the shipping 'box' by putting a machine in and have it shipped out and back and see what is 'broke'. Maybe some air bags inside of the carver would stop the jolts from creating a problem.
Anyway, sorry to vent, I actually have had minimal problems with my carver, just seems the new machines haveto many problems. I think if you really want to have fun and crreate unique projects you need to go through the process of 'fixing' it and then enjoying your creations. For me it is hard to describe the feeling I get every time I show somebody what I just carved and hearing them say "You made that?"
Hope you'll keep the carver, there's somehing you wanted to do that made you buy it to start with, and once you gt it running you'll probably be as hooked as the rest of us on this forum.
Rick H.

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Onthe shipping subject... on any 'really" sensitive equipment i ever ever ordered.. it had those little plastic ""shock sticker" on several parts of the shipping carton. If any of the indicators had been tripped, you were told to reject the shipment.

Why isn't LHR using those if they feel most of the problems are coming from shipping mishandling? I was thinking they are pennies per sticker.

Doug Fletcher

powertek
10-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

First of all I never stated that I would never have any problems. All I am saying is that when you purchase something, and it doesn't work out of the box, you get somewhat upset that it doesn't. I made every effort to get the machine to work after it didn't work out of the box. You may all contact Michael Tyler and ask him. He and I have spent atleast 4 hours on the telephone trying to get things right. When we finally did get it to work, I was extremely happy. Then I go to run a second project the same day and I get a different problem, it wouldn't make any of you very happy either.

Please do not misunderstand what I am saying. I am not blaming any of you and I understand that you all want to help me, it's just the fact that spending over $2,000 for something that has problems from the get go, isn't a good thing.

If the problems are with shipping, the company needs to look at different methods of shipping and/or packaging. I really don't know which one it is.

cnsranch
10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
We all had problems out of the box. I think most of the time it is the shipping company.

Maybe that's why I've never had problems - I bought mine at a Woodworking show directly from LHR (you think they trucked them to KC themselves, or had them shipped?)

unitedcases
10-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Maybe that should be the new thread. How many people had problems and were those machines shipped. Not to sound like a amateur sleuth but that would make sense. My original was replaced as well because of shipping. It was actually kinda nice because by that point I had figured out most of the problems.

seabass
10-21-2009, 12:57 PM
No disrespect meant at all, but:

CarveWright machines have issues.

There is NO way ALL or even most of the issues are shipping. CarveWright machines may need adjustment out of the box, that's the animal you are dealing with. If you can not deal with some issues out of the box I think you should wait until a different machine comes out. I am not saying it's wrong or right, it just is.

I have made about 600 purchases on ebay and about 900 on amazon. I also have shipped out over 300 items myself and only ONCE in all those shipments and the last 8 years was something damaged from shipping.

No, I do not work for a shipping company at all.

If the damage is from shipping it is inadequate packaging, period. If a company finds so many things are being broken during shipping then the company needs to rework the packaging. The shipping companies are not going to handle stuff with kid gloves and that will not change.

Jeff_Birt
10-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Have all those things you have ordered and shipped weighed #80 and were they a machine tool? There is a big difference between a machine tool and a DVD player. No, I'm not saying that perhaps step could not be taken to prevent connectors from coming loose in transit. But I have seen numerous photos on this very forum of machines being banged up and some nearly destroyed during shipping.

IMHO every machine tool should be thoroughly checked and adjust before it is ever used. But heck I even check the shoe on a new circular saw for being square before taking the first cut. :)