PDA

View Full Version : Set Max Depth - Apply Offset

Little Wing
10-19-2009, 02:07 PM
The manual says: "Once a max depth has been confirmed the display will prompt the user to 'Use Selected Depth' or 'Apply Offset'. If the 'Apply Offset' option item is chosen, the user is prompted to input a numeric offset using the keypad.Select ENTER to proceed or STOP to cancel the offset.The entered offset will be added to the already confirmed max depth."

Here's a couple of questions for anyone who has played around with this option:

- If you input a numeric offset, what are you entering? Inches? Thousandths of inches? Millimeters? Smoots?

- When this offset is "...added to the already confirmed max depth", does the probe descend further toward the scanning sled by this amount, or stay higher above it?

seabass
10-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi

I use the offset all the time. It controls X-Y not Z axis so the height is not effected. At least it has never been effected for my cuts.

I use it for inlay. When I cut the positive image(cutout) I use the same drawing and use the flip cutout feature for the negative image(pocket). If you just go ahead and cut with no offset the pocket will be a little to big, leaving a gap when you go to inlay your cutout.

I use the offset to move the bit either toward the center from the cut line or away from center. Because I need the bit to make the negative image pocket smaller I use a positive number of about .013 to .015 for the offset. This gives me almost a perfect fit for the positive image to fit in the cutout. A negative number will move the bit away from the center making the pocket way to big.

In short the bit is moved to the left or right(in thousandths) of the original cut line in 2D when using the offset feature and does not effect the up down movement.

Does this make sense?

mtylerfl
10-19-2009, 03:07 PM
The manual says: "Once a max depth has been confirmed the display will prompt the user to 'Use Selected Depth' or 'Apply Offset'. If the 'Apply Offset' option item is chosen, the user is prompted to input a numeric offset using the keypad.Select ENTER to proceed or STOP to cancel the offset.The entered offset will be added to the already confirmed max depth."

Here's a couple of questions for anyone who has played around with this option:

- If you input a numeric offset, what are you entering? Inches? Thousandths of inches? Millimeters? Smoots?

- When this offset is "...added to the already confirmed max depth", does the probe descend further toward the scanning sled by this amount, or stay higher above it?

Hello,

Seabass gave an excellent explanation regarding line offsets. Good job! However,the offset you are asking about does have to do with the Z-axis, and nothing to do with the Y or X axis.

The offset in this case is telling the probe how far away from the surface of the sled it is to go. In other words, if you specify an offset of 0.1", the probe will only travel down to within 1/10" of the surface of the sled.

The purpose of this offset is to avoid scanning the surface area around your object. You do not want to scan anything unnecessarily...i.e., the sled surface that your object is placed upon.

I do not enter the offset measurement manually at all (although I certainly could if I wanted to). Instead, I place a stack of 3 or 4 business cards under the probe when it is finding the surface and that automatically sets the offset value for you (then you choose "Use Selected Depth").

If you view the Scanning Probe video, you will see I use a tapered wedge of wood for the same purpose. Since making the video, I now just use a few business cards stacked together to create the "gap offset" between the sled surface and the maximum amount of downward probe travel.

Here is a link to the Scanning Video:
http://www.carvebuddy.com/scanningvideo_how_it_works.html

I think it will become clear to you once you've seen the procedure in action.

seabass
10-19-2009, 03:16 PM
My bad I missed the part he was using the keypad and probe. Sick kids home today distracting me a little.

AskBud
10-19-2009, 03:20 PM
To add to what the others have said, you asked about the Measurement Preferences.
You will find this type of preference in both the Designer and Probe setting on the machine.
Here is the selection screen for the Designer.
AskBud