PDA

View Full Version : Carve Region Bit selection

undrtkr
10-19-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't post much because I can usually find the answers I need with a search, but, I have not been able to find the answer to this: I want to make a jig out of MDF to place a 8 x 10 x .25 piece of acrylic for a photo garving. Once I establish the (centered "both") 8 x 10 x .25 carve region, what bit and quality should I assign. If I select the 1/16 carving bit, the sides will be slightly tapered. My thoughts lean toward the 1/8 cutting bit.
Thanks for the help.
Tom

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 01:33 PM
You should be able to select your carve region, then select outline path. Now you can assign th 1/8 cutting bit to that path. Set the depth to the same as the carve region and set the bit offset to .062. That should clean up the taper from the carving bit.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

Kenm810
10-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Hi Tom,

Just a thought, but why not tell the machine your project is 1/4" stock but put in 3/4' MDF as if the 1/4" is on a 1/2" Sled.
Do a .250 Deep Cut-out to square the sides then a .250 Carve Region to finish it off,or maybe someone might have a better idea.

Ya Beat to it Doug --- I got side tracked :wink:

DocWheeler
10-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Tom,

It is a lot quicker to use the 3/8" bit to route the area out AND create straight sides, but you will need to do something with the corners. The simplest solution is to draw a short route line that goes from inside to outside the rectangle at a 45 that is long enough to allow a square cornered piece to fit in correctly. Make it a little longer And you have somewhere to pick up a corner after it has carved.

Just a thought.

KenM - you're too quick for me!

undrtkr
10-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will try them when I get home tomorrow.
Tom