PDA

View Full Version : Y-axis stall

swsummers
10-19-2009, 12:44 PM
I have been making lithophanes for a couple of years using 1/4 inch cast acrylic.
I clean the entire machine after each usage. The carving bit is only two lithos old. All of a sudden I started getting Y-axis stall. I have tried everything Ask Bud has reccommended! Talking to a friend and they said something about allignment flags. What is that all about, and should I be doing something about them, and where are they and what do I do?? ---HELP!!---

Digitalwoodshop
10-19-2009, 01:50 PM
You likely have a plastic chip stuck in the belt track somewhere or a lump of plastic on a Y Roller. Or recently, I found a build up of sawdust on the sides of the bottom Y rail machine area.... A Wire Brush made short work of that mess....

It has got to be a mechanical Problem OR.... The Carving Bit is DULL...

AL

Eagle Hollow
10-19-2009, 03:13 PM
I have been making lithophanes for a couple of years using 1/4 inch cast acrylic.
I clean the entire machine after each usage. The carving bit is only two lithos old. All of a sudden I started getting Y-axis stall. I have tried everything Ask Bud has reccommended! Talking to a friend and they said something about allignment flags. What is that all about, and should I be doing something about them, and where are they and what do I do?? ---HELP!!---

I had three Y axis stall warnings today and had just cleaned the machine meticulously. On the third attempt, watching carefully, I discovered the bit wasn't turning. Somehow the flex cable had come out of the cut motor. Put it back in and finished a 5 hour, 14 minute carve with no further problems.

Hexe SA
10-21-2009, 03:00 PM
I had three Y axis stall warnings today and had just cleaned the machine meticulously. On the third attempt, watching carefully, I discovered the bit wasn't turning. Somehow the flex cable had come out of the cut motor. Put it back in and finished a 5 hour, 14 minute carve with no further problems.

Check when the z-truck moves across that it doesn't hang up on the exhaust port. There is very little clearance. The z-truck motor comes loose and hangs up causing a y-axis stall. Philips screwdriver will fix and tighten that motor right up. First time it happened to me I took the machine apart and a call to LHR fixed it, but that was in 2007. Had it several times since than and it is the first place I check and sofar it didn't have to go any further.
Eva