PDA

View Full Version : A question from a/an old man about patterns.

will george
10-19-2009, 12:27 PM
A question from a/an old man about patterns made and posted in here..

I REALLY do understand about protecting patterns. I have NO problem if ANYBODY wants to protect their hard work and sells them. I developed software in my younger days. I am NO artist of images!

BUT why is there not some option for the 'giver' to post/give their work to anybody to do with and modify as they choose? Not all of the posters in here expect anything from the posted pattern made except sometimes a 'Thanks for your work'... All I have seen posted for free just need a some idea I had to make it perfect for my receiver of the project.

I will still purchase a pattern I really think is first class or just something I like!

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Preachin to the choir there... I've been saying the same thing for quite a while. I think it AUTHOR should have the ability to decide if he want the pattern to be able to be modified or not... and not have LHR assume that all authors NEVER want their patterns to be modified in any way.

But, unfortunately that is out of our hands. The only way I know around it would be posting the mpw.... but I dont see anyone doing that.

Doug Fletcher

robbrigg2
10-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Preachin to the choir there... I've been saying the same thing for quite a while. I think it AUTHOR should have the ability to decide if he want the pattern to be able to be modified or not... and not have LHR assume that all authors NEVER want their patterns to be modified in any way.

But, unfortunately that is out of our hands. The only way I know around it would be posting the mpw.... but I dont see anyone doing that.

Doug Fletcher

WHat is the MPW? I would be willing to post this if I knew what it was? If I post a pattern it is fully knowing that the recipient might want to make a change. And, as far as I can tell, I have been able to delete and add things to patterns that I have brought in off of the site (mybe I am mistaken though) I just can not re-upload with the changes that I made because I was not the original author.....

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Robert,

Really? Anytime I have tried to open a ptn in pattern editor it tell me I can not becuase I am not the author... including ones i have recieved from you. The mpw is the "artwork" format than you can save to when you are in Pattern Editor.

Can someone else chime in to as wether the can or can not open any pnt in pattern editor that has been downloaded.

Thanks

Doug Fletcher

robbrigg2
10-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Doug,

You are right, I was thinking of the project files. Patterns are different and I am sorry for missinformation.

TerryT
10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Way back when... about version 1.12 or so, you could modify patterns made by other people. With later versions of the software that changed. Believe me, there was quite an uproar when that happened. Since then you can not modify a pattern. As you mentioned, you can modify the mpw if you have it.

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
No problem. I guess the downside to using mpw's though would be the user would have to have the pattern editor... either from purchasing the scanning probe or buying the editor as a add on. Ptn's can be used by anyone who has designer.. nothing else is required.

But it still would be nice to allow the Author to decide how he/she wishes their patterns to be used.

Doug Fletcher

TerryT
10-19-2009, 03:09 PM
You could still ask the auther for a greyscale png.

Kenm810
10-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Now I'm Curious, I never tried it myself,
How do you post a .MPW File or can you?

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 03:42 PM
I think LHR's attachemnt manager doesnt allow uploading the mpw's natively, but you can always zip them and then upload the zip file. Not sure why they dont allow mpw's.

Doug Fletcher

fwharris
10-19-2009, 03:51 PM
I think LHR's attachemnt manager doesnt allow uploading the mpw's natively, but you can always zip them and then upload the zip file. Not sure why they dont allow mpw's.

Doug Fletcher

Doug,

I think it is just the 'forum' "vbulliten" settings and not LHR..MPW is probably not a recognized file format for forums..

You could do a zip file or even upload the mpw to cncartguild forum. there are no format or size restricitons for the uploads there..

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 03:55 PM
FWHarris,

Orginally I probably wold have agreed with you, but since it does allow you to upload mpc, ptn (which are carvwright only formats) I would think LHR does have the ability to determine which extensions to allow.

Anyone from LHR wanna let us know why mpw are not permitted?

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

EDIT: I suppose it is possible the the forum software is using the extentions mpc and ptn to mean something entirely different since often times several programs use the same extentions for entirely different purposes.

fwharris
10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
FWHarris,

Orginally I probably wold have agreed with you, but since it does allow you to upload mpc, ptn (which are carvwright only formats) I would think LHR does have the ability to determine which extensions to allow.

Anyone from LHR wanna let us know why mpw are not permitted?

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

EDIT: I suppose it is possible the the forum software is using the extentions mpc and ptn to mean something entirely different since often times several programs use the same extentions for entirely different purposes.

Doug,

Ya got me on that one!!! LOL......HMMMMMMMMMMMM