PDA

View Full Version : STL import - preserving flat sides

hogiewan
10-19-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm guessing that the answer is no, but is there a way to have the importer ignore straight sides?

I'd like to preserve the vertical edges. If it didn't create a pixel for the slice depth on a flat edge, I could outline the pattern and have it cut out with a straight bit.

Attached is a zoomed-in look at a pattern created by the STL Importer of a guitar headstock. Notice the ring of green (full depth) around the edge. Without that, it would carve just fine, but as it is, it will put a 7 degree angle on the edge and cut into what should be left.

dbfletcher
10-19-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm guessing that the answer is no, but is there a way to have the importer ignore straight sides?

I'd like to preserve the vertical edges. If it didn't create a pixel for the slice depth on a flat edge, I could outline the pattern and have it cut out with a straight bit.

Attached is a zoomed-in look at a pattern created by the STL Importer of a guitar headstock. Notice the ring of green (full depth) around the edge. Without that, it would carve just fine, but as it is, it will put a 7 degree angle on the edge and cut into what should be left.

Not to nit-pick... but isn't it a 3.5 degree angle. I thougth the bit as a whole had the 7 degree taper?

Doug Fletcher

Jeff_Birt
10-19-2009, 11:50 AM
The carving bit is tapered, so you cannot carve vertical sides with it, no matter what. The bit has about a 7 deg TIA (total included angle), 3.5 deg per side (of profile).

hogiewan
10-19-2009, 01:43 PM
The carving bit is tapered, so you cannot carve vertical sides with it, no matter what. The bit has about a 7 deg TIA (total included angle), 3.5 deg per side (of profile).

That doesn't matter - I want 0 degrees.

I want the Importer to not go to full depth - or I want Designer to respect the top surface. Is this possible? It should be.

jpaluck
10-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I had a similar prob with the import of an stl like your having..LG helped me with this one put a mask around the edge then set the carve region to zero then outline. worked on mine which was the same prob of keeping the vertival edge...Hope this helps

here is the thread that helped me http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12890

hogiewan
10-19-2009, 07:41 PM
thanks - it should be an option in the importer though.

jpaluck
10-19-2009, 08:21 PM
I agree it should

TIMCOSBY
10-19-2009, 09:48 PM
use the trim edges option it will get rid of that green ring around the object and more if you want.