PDA

View Full Version : Need help making a plaque

Shacky
10-17-2009, 07:51 PM
I need to make some small plaques. These are to go on a wall where there are already several, so I am going to copy the design as much as possible.

It is a rectangle, say 6 x 12 with the corners scalloped off. (Think of a 1/4 circle taken off each corner.) Then the whole thing has an edge rout and a name engraved.

I tried using the arc tool to scallop the corners off and can get a good shape there. But I don't see where I can tell it to cut the scallop off.

How do I tell it to cut that line and then rout the remaining shape?

Thanks,

Scott

Kenm810
10-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi Scott,

I'm not sure, but is this what your trying to do?

fhoward2
10-17-2009, 09:19 PM
I think this is what you want, use the edge rout and the use the circle tool and then use carve region. This should get what you want.

AskBud
10-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Or are you looking for something, rounded inward, like this?
AskBud

Shacky
10-18-2009, 07:53 AM
The second one Ken posted and the one AskBud posted are just what I am looking for.

Thanks very much!

Now I am curious how I would design that if I didn't have the mpc....

Kenm810
10-18-2009, 09:12 AM
There’s at least a couple of ways to do it, I prefer to use the ½” Grid and hold the line segments in place with attachments that I can remove latter on.
Then use the Arc Tool to add the Scalloped Corners, remember to watch for the red hash marks that let you know the connection has been made.
Pull the Arcs to the size and shape you want. And then if you want, add tapered cut around our project to be the routed edge of your plaque
and the Cut-Out Tool for the plaques final shape. --- Your now ready for your Text and Graphics. :wink:

Shacky
10-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks. I'll try it. Again, I am a newbie to the software and machine. While they tried to make the software similar to Publisher or Pagemaker, it's not quite and it's taking me a while to get it.

I just took one of the original plaques off the wall and it is 12 x 3.25. Making these are one of the ways I justified buying the machine.;)

Shacky
10-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Ok, I am trying to do the design on this.

The attached mpc is where I am so far.

I don't see how to make the scallops on the corner cut off and then to add a routed edge to the remaining shape.

Woodhacker
10-18-2009, 05:45 PM
....the trick here is to make just one line around the board. I drew it as a square with indented corners, deleted the vertex at the inside corners and then converted that line segment to an arc. Pulled the arc to where you had your's. After you get all 4 corners converted to arcs and pulled to the right place, choose the cut path tool and hide the cutout. Then choose the bit tool and pick the bit you want for the routed edge. Disassemble the .mpc and see what I did. One of the easiest ways to learn this software is to beat on it. Try different things until you start to understand what each tool does. Ya can't hurt the sofware in the process. Hope this helps.

Shacky
10-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Ok, I see what you mean. You need a complete path.

Now how do I change the edge rout in your mpc? In order to try a duplicate the existing plaques, I just need to use a bullnose and take off about a 1/4 inch off the edge.

EDIT: I got it. Thanks again.

Ike
10-22-2009, 12:10 AM
I need to make some small plaques. These are to go on a wall where there are already several, so I am going to copy the design as much as possible.

It is a rectangle, say 6 x 12 with the corners scalloped off. (Think of a 1/4 circle taken off each corner.) Then the whole thing has an edge rout and a name engraved.

I tried using the arc tool to scallop the corners off and can get a good shape there. But I don't see where I can tell it to cut the scallop off.

How do I tell it to cut that line and then rout the remaining shape?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, I know I am a few days late and you were given great instructions on how to make cut away corners with the machine! At my sign shop I found it faster to use a spray can for the half circles and using my scroll saw cut out the corners.

Sometimes I find it faster to do things like routing the edges cutting the corners and out shapes by hand then the machine.

Anyway of course this pattern may apply!

Ike

fwharris
10-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Anyway of course this pattern may apply!

Ike

Ike,

Good one!!!

Looks like you have re covered quite well from your celebration a few days ago!!!:p

Ike
10-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Ike,

Good one!!!

Looks like you have re covered quite well from your celebration a few days ago!!!:p

Lol ty and yes it was yesterday! Couldn't do much you know the big town I live in!

Ike