PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

Shacky
10-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Got my machine this week. It was finishing my third project, a Classic Street Sign, when it finished cutting out the sign, I heard a grind.

Checking out what happened, I see a scar across the board like the bit didn't pick up when it went to move to another spot. The bit is in pieces but the base is still in the QC. I can't seem to get the QC to go up and let out the base.

What happened?

www.go3d.us
10-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Have you tried the QC removal? Push it hard.
One thing about this machine is that, if something you can do manually without relying on the machine (like cut out for example) then by all mean avoid those as much as possible.

Shacky
10-17-2009, 03:51 PM
I tried the QC removal tool, if that's what you mean. Rocking it, turning the QC and putting a lot of force to it. Any harder and I am afraid something would break.

Shacky
10-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Just realized that I probably should have posted this in "Troubleshooting"....sorry about that.

Anyway, the problem is that the QC will not move up to release, it's stuck solid. The other threads I found seem to deal with QC's that move but won't let go of the bit. Any ideas, please?

www.go3d.us
10-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Try this. Put the bit removal tool in securely then jiggle it up and down a couple of time, then rotate the qc a little and do the same...repeat again and see if it get loose. Might need a few drop of motor oil on top and let it drips down into the qc.
Or if you have a plyer with a big enough mouth so you can grab the outer ring and the nut squeeze it gently and see if the outer ring come up.

*edit*

The post is in the right place, just need to change the topic a little bit like "Stuck bit" or something :)

Shacky
10-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Got it. I squirt a bit of WD40 around the top and nut and let it sit for a while. I went back and used the tool and it eventually let loose. I think that WD40 did the trick because it was froze tight before that.

Now to get a new cutting bit.

Thanks for your help!

Digitalwoodshop
10-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Did the set screws on the bit holder come loose? And the bit drop down?

Any chips in the Z Drive Belt?

AL

www.go3d.us
10-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Great! Glad to hear you got it out. Also don't forget to add a few drops of oil now and then, it helped a lot.
Looking for cutting bit? I found amazon has great deal, check it out $34 with free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/CarveWright-BCR062-Carving-Bit-Adaptor/dp/B000WR33LY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1255814976&sr=8-4

PCW
10-17-2009, 04:49 PM
One other thing to keep in mind and try not to exceed .250 per pass on a cutout. Doing so can break the cutting bit.

Shacky
10-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Did the set screws on the bit holder come loose? And the bit drop down?

Any chips in the Z Drive Belt?

AL

I think that is exactly what happened. I inspected the belts closely and don't see any chips. I also just did a small test carve and everything seems ok.

Whew. Thought I was going to have a service call already.

Shacky
10-17-2009, 06:24 PM
One other thing to keep in mind and try not to exceed .250 per pass on a cutout. Doing so can break the cutting bit.

Thanks for the tip. I will check in the future and make sure it is set correctly.