PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what I should do...

karossii
10-17-2009, 05:34 AM
Last year, mid December in fact, I purchased a CarveWright from a reseller, they were having a great special (or so I thought... was more or less normal pricing for a reseller, I later found). I thought I would have the unit before the end of the year, but I was wrong, of course.

In fact, it didn't arrive for 7 or 8 weeks, I don't remember the exact date but it was early February by the time I got it.

And in that time my situation had changed. My lease had come up and my business wasn't going so great (I run my own businesses)... so we ended up moving and downsizing our rent payments along with the house.

From the day the CarveWright arrived to the day we moved was less than a week; and I knew we would be moving so I didn't bother unpacking it before the move. It was the very first thing to be moved in, in fact, placed in the back of the garage still in its pretty box.

We get to the new place, and the garage has been stuffed full of other miscellany on top of my meager collection of tools and hobby stuff. And I couldn't get to the CarveWright for a long time to open it up and start using it.

So long, that its still in the box today, in fact...8 months later.

Finances have turned around a bit and are looking up; combined with a bit of fortune in a great housing deal dropping in my lap, and I just purchased a new place. One which has room for me to set up an actual dedicated workshop to support my hobbies (and a few planned remodeling projects).

We'll be moving in the next few weeks, and it will take me a few more weeks to set up the shop (it is in the middle of my priority list)... so I probably have anther month or more before I even open that box up!

My biggest fear is that when I open the box, I will find some shipping damage (though the box looks fine so I don't really think so), or some factory defect (more likely scenario, but again I don't think it is a great chance), etc.; and having waited so long to get to it, my Warranty will be almost expired already. Nothing anyone can do about that though, right? So that's not the point of this thread.

No, I came here to ask what out of the box maintenance I will need to do on a unit that has sat in my garage unopened for 8 or 9 months.

In December/January I was spending a ton of time on these forums and elsewhere, excited and eager to get started. I remember a lot of concern with greasing the flex shaft. I also participated in a few discussions on down-draft tables and such setups... (and still intend to build one). But my board activity dwindled as more time went on and I continued to not open up and use the CarveWright. And by now, I have forgotten most of what I had picked up and planned to do.

I tried to start searching the forums again, looking for all of the appropriate info; but after a few failed attempts to find stuff I vaguely remember as being important... well I thought I'd just come on here and ask you guys for advice/input.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

- Ken

Kenm810
10-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Here's Some info I posted a couple of years ago that should get you on the right track,
also check the info at the site below my Signature for more important reading, it will be very helpful.

http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon1.gif A Message to all new Cw and CC Machine Owners
A Message to all new CW and CCMachine Owners
Welcome to the Forum, and Save the Box with all the packing materials the Machine came in. It’s … Important … and must be used if sending your machine to LHR for repairs or returning it for exchange or refund.

One of the most important things to do before carving your first project is to take any Twist Ties or Tie Wraps off the Flex-Shaft; their primarily there for shipping purposes, but They can cause hot spots in the machines Flex-Shaft, leading to a possible melt down or worst – damage to the machine.
If you feel the need to fasten the Flex-Shaft to the wire support loop I suggest using a light wrap of black vinyl electrical tape. Only to act as a guide and help limit vibration.

Now before you run your machine Please check the Flex-Shaft for proper lubrication. Liquid Wrench - Gunk L716 Industrial Chain Lubricant with Moly is recommended. Some of the machines have come through with no lube or insufficient lube on the Flex-Shaft. Which can result in damage to the Flex-Shaft and possibly the Machine, and remember to wipe off any excess Moly lube on the Flex-Shaft, also let it drip dry for a while before reinstalling it in the machine. You really don't want any exess lube to get into the carving head bearings and causing problems.
Do a forum Search on the proper flex-shaft lube and how to do it along with the other locations and parts of the machine that will need proper lubrications.

There are several posts and threads in this forum about how to lube, and what has to be watched and lubed when necessary plus suggestions of what lubes to use.
The Flex-Shaft should never be allowed to get hotter then comfortably warm to the touch, the mid 80s to mid 90s in degrees of temperature, you can check it for hot spots by hand or with a hand held infrared thermometer.

When you have time it will also serve you well to read the posts on troubleshooting your machine, to save you some future grief by knowing in advance what to expect.
And remember if you can't find the answer in the Forums Search Option, you’re always welcome to post questions. There a lot of knowledgeable folks on the forum that are more then willing and able to help. Then if you still feel unsure of the answer, The best thing for you to do is call LHR and speak to a CW Tech as soon as possible.

LHR Technologies, Inc.
4930 Allen Genoa Road
Pasadena, TX. 77504

CarveWright Service Phone Numbers
For CarveWright and CompuCarve Machines
You can contact CarveWright by phone at
1-713-473-6572
email at support@carvewright.com.
Hours are Monday through Saturday 9:00 am To 6:00 pm Central Time.

Tell them exactly what’s happening or what happened.
Most likely they’ll be able to talk you through the problem on the phone, send you a new part, or email you a prepaid shipping label to return you CW or CC Machine to LHR for repair or replacement while in warranty. “ In the original box and packing ” (LHR support for 1 year or 200 hours which ever comes first.)
Finally try to get into the habit of reading the Forum for news, new patterns and updates, also using the Forums Search Option for getting timely bits of information and answers to your inevitable myriad of questions. Remember to Read and keep your Manual handy.
Originally posted 9/11/2007

DocWheeler
10-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Ken,

Welcome and glad things are looking up for you. KenM is pointing you in the right direction (as usual).
Hope to see some of your projects soon!

Deolman
10-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Be sure to use a bathroom scale and check head pressure. Also check the head for being level. After shipping you may need to adjust. It's simple and well written in the forum - or, just ask.