PDA

View Full Version : First carve on second machine

JDPratt
10-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Well I finally got the second machine ready to go. The first machine is at LHR for some repairs (probably due to QC issues). I decided to wait until I got the Rock Chuck installed in this machine before I attempted the first carve (it took two days and a lot of foul language to get the QC off). Now before I do this first carve I have a few questions. I have been putting off this litho for some time now and I really need to get it done. the Picture for the litho is attached.

First off, I have searched the forum and read the tips and tricks concerning lithos, but I am still a little confused.

Hear is the plan:
Create my sled from 3/4" pine, 24" X 13" in size with a .25 region carved in the center 11" X 14" in size (this is the size of the corian). Attach the corian with double sided tape (unless there is a better idea).

Questions
1. Is the best carve depth still .18 with a height of 450?
2. Is there a better way to attach the corian to the sled?
3. How far into the chuck should I set the 1/16" carving bit? I am assuming just before the flutes go into the chuck.

Sorry if these are repetitive questions to some, but I hate (and I mean really HATE) doing stuff over again after screwing it up. Kind of an OCD thing. (besides the Corian aint cheap)

eromran
10-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Using your method of sled i have the corian fit tight enough that it holds itself in if you put the tape under it it is going to be sticking above .25 pocket you carved in sled. also i think .120 -.150 is plenty deep and has always worked great for me. And yes just make the height as high as you can.

JDPratt
10-16-2009, 09:41 AM
So you are saying don't go as deep as .18 and just stay around .15? I can make the height up to 999, I was under the assumption that 450 was recommended to keep the resulting litho's light even. Please tell me if I have this wrong. The tape I was going to use is just double-sided scotch tap. It is barely thick enough to matter (unless I have this wrong also).

Another stupid question since this is the first time I have used a sled. When I run the litho .mpc which is on a 11" X 14" board in designer, should I just hit "center on board" when prompted since the sled is now 24" X 13"?

JDPratt
10-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Wow, Did I tick someone off here or am I just on my own figuring this one out.

DocWheeler
10-19-2009, 08:37 AM
JD,

If you hover over an area with your mouse you will see the X, Y, and Z values at the bottom of the screen. Change the HEIGHT (Z height) to several different values (100-999) to get the hang of what that does. You will probably find that there is no difference between 450 and 999 for your pattern.

As for the sled, if your material is centered in the sled, yes select Center.

JDPratt
10-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks Doc. I appreciate the quick response. Really I think what I am wondering is if (in other's experiences) that 450 is a good height and .18/.15 for the litho. Since this is my first litho and first time using a sled I hate to screw it up. Also, am I correct that the bit should be placed in the RC to a point just before the flutes. First time using the Rock too.

DocWheeler
10-19-2009, 08:54 AM
JD,

The reason I suggested checking the X values in Designer was for you to get a feel for the Height value. If your pattern/picture has a "normal" height of say .250 and you are carving at .150 deep, about any value between 70 and 999 will have the same result. Maybe this isn't correct with the current firmware when inverted, but I think it is.

As for the bit insertion, yes, chuck it almost to the flutes.

I have only done a half dozen or so lithos, but I like the setting of .153 or so for the depth.

JDPratt
10-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks Doc. I appreciate the help.