PDA

View Full Version : Someone is getting a hug

Griz64
10-16-2009, 03:33 AM
After reading alot of posts I decided to give the scotch brite type things a try to get rid of the fuzzies. I went to my local Home Depot and got the ones that dremel makes. They lasted less than one carving. I then read on here about someone who used some discs from Mcmaster with a 3/32 mandrel. I wish I could remember who it was because I owe them big time. I love those little discs and boy do they work well

eromran
10-16-2009, 08:10 AM
You also may want to check out this post about making your own. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=6297&highlight=3M+pads

DocWheeler
10-16-2009, 09:18 AM
It may be of interest to many - the inventor of these great little disks is a member of this forum!

SteveEJ
10-16-2009, 09:46 AM
What is the part number or page on the McMaster site? I have used the 3m disc's and layered them but they wear out pretty quick.

Always willing to look at a better way!

Thanks,

dbfletcher
10-16-2009, 10:02 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I bought the bristle disks about a year ago and I was very dissapointed at how quickly the wore down to nothing. What spped are most using them on. My dremel is adjusable from 5000-20000 rpms. I tried one set of three at both 5000 and 20000 and the both seeam to wear to nothing in a mtter of minutes. And at close to .75 a disc, I decided they were not worth it.

Doug Fletcher

DocWheeler
10-16-2009, 10:27 AM
A search for "radial bristle" will bring up a bunch of threads, I give a link to Otto Frei in the third post of this thread (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4596&highlight=radial+bristle). McMaster delivers faster but is more expensive. Do not press too hard, let them work gently.

They do not last as long as wire brushes but do a far better finish job (IMHO). Take a piece of sandpaper that size - how long does it last?

mtylerfl
10-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I bought the bristle disks about a year ago and I was very dissapointed at how quickly the wore down to nothing. What spped are most using them on. My dremel is adjusable from 5000-20000 rpms. I tried one set of three at both 5000 and 20000 and the both seeam to wear to nothing in a mtter of minutes. And at close to .75 a disc, I decided they were not worth it.

Doug Fletcher

Hi Doug,

I use mainly the 80-grit and follow up with 220-grit (I also have 400-grit, but hardly ever use those). The bristle discs are stacked three (or more) at a time on a mandrel and they last me through several projects (4 or 5 at least). Not sure why you have them wear out so fast. You don't need to apply much pressure at all (practically none) for them to make quick work out of the detail sanding process. I turn my Dremel speed dial to about 6 to 8. Maybe you are trying to use a 220-grit for everything, which may be causing them to wear out prematurely? I don't know. They should last a good while.Try starting with the 80-grit, then switch to the 220 for any final sanding, if necessary.

Here's a quote from our website about the discs...

"Fuzzie" removal... If you own a Dremel tool, use the miniature 3M Radial Bristle Discs (http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?6666660Zjcf6lVs6EVs666AA4COrrrr Q-) "for jewelry" to safely remove fuzzies from your carvings, without loss of detail. Stack multiple discs (3 to 6 or more) on the mandrel (3/32" dia. part # 4494A44) to suit the task at hand - http://www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com/) sells the discs online for about 88 cents each (search their site for "radial bristle discs"). We use McMaster part # 4494A19 (80 grit), part #4494A18 (220 grit) and #4494A17 (400 grit) discs.

dbfletcher
10-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Michael,

Is slower rpm better? What is the optimumn speed for using the bristle discs? I guess I'll give em another shot. I may have used too much force with em.. dont really recall now.

Thanks,

Doug

mtylerfl
10-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Michael,

Is slower rpm better? What is the optimumn spped for using the bristle discs? I guess I'll give em another shot. I may have used too much force with em.. dont really recall now.

Thanks,

Doug

I start at about 6 or 8 (out of 10) on the dial, but usually stay at the faster speed. All depends on how the wood is behaving that day.

SteveEJ
10-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks Doc and Michael.. I just ordered 50 - 80 Grit discs from OttoFrie for 75 Cents each. Now to upgrade my dremel to a variable speed.

earlyrider
10-17-2009, 01:44 AM
In use the 2" radials with a Foredom flexshaft machine. They work quick and easy; have not worn out yet after 40 items sanded. A light touch is all thats needed.
Ron

hess
10-17-2009, 01:56 AM
In use the 2" radials with a Foredom flexshaft machine. They work quick and easy; have not worn out yet after 40 items sanded. A light touch is all thats needed.
Ron

Ron are those the same as the 3ms just the bigger ones

The small ones seem to go Farly fast even if running slower. I have been using them on a Turbo carver

Rick P
10-17-2009, 11:26 PM
When I worked at 3M the Radial Bristle Discs were one of my products. I cannot vouch for any abrasive product sold by Dremel, although the Dremel tool itself is very good.

The Bristle Discs must be mounted so they spin in the proper direction. They should be stacked together, all in the proper direction and at least 3 discs should be stacked...4 to 6 is even better.

I use a 3 inch diameter Bristle Disc in 120 grit and it has lasted for many projects. I run it with a standard cordless drill. (the 2 inch and 3 inch diameter sizes are too big for a Dremel tool.)

The smaller diameter sizes (9/16, 3/4 & 1 inch) were designed for jewelers to use on soft metals. When used on wood set the Dremel speed to its lower end...5,000 to 10,000 RPM.

I would suggest the 2 inch or 3 inch diameter size for most wood projects. The grades useful on wood are 80 grit, 120 grit and 220 grit.

If I can help anyone with a specific question, email me and I will try to help.

DocWheeler
10-18-2009, 08:49 AM
When I worked at 3M the Radial Bristle Discs were one of my products. I cannot vouch for any abrasive product sold by Dremel, although the Dremel tool itself is very good.

The Bristle Discs must be mounted so they spin in the proper direction. They should be stacked together, all in the proper direction and at least 3 discs should be stacked...4 to 6 is even better.

I use a 3 inch diameter Bristle Disc in 120 grit and it has lasted for many projects. I run it with a standard cordless drill. (the 2 inch and 3 inch diameter sizes are too big for a Dremel tool.)

The smaller diameter sizes (9/16, 3/4 & 1 inch) were designed for jewelers to use on soft metals. When used on wood set the Dremel speed to its lower end...5,000 to 10,000 RPM.

I would suggest the 2 inch or 3 inch diameter size for most wood projects. The grades useful on wood are 80 grit, 120 grit and 220 grit.

If I can help anyone with a specific question, email me and I will try to help.

There you go, the man who should know has spoken.

Don Butler
05-11-2010, 11:14 AM
I found the 3M discs at Otto Frei Jewelry supply
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/home.php?cat=1360
Good prices, too.

db