PDA

View Full Version : Round box project

chebytrk
10-15-2009, 04:44 PM
I was looking at the Tips n Tricks Round box project and was trying to figure out the best way to convert that round box in to a oval or oblong box. I'm playing around with the round box in stretching it out to oblong because I really don't know what I'm doing. I guess I'm trying to save the existing cuts and routing around it. Is it best just to try and start from scratch or is it just as easy to stretch out the round one? I'm also trying to see if there's a way to make the top on the oblong box as a dome shape. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Thanks......

nikki1492
10-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Hey JerryB,

I've been carving only weeks so don't take this as the voice of experience.

I would think it would be better to use the basic directions but create your new shape from scratch.

Did you do Jeff Birt's apple box tutorial? Maybe try something like that for just a 2 piece box then go to the 3 piece one in Tips & Tricks. That's what I'm doing right now. I'm fascinated by little boxes and decided to take that approach to learning/experience.

Just MHO.

I was looking at the Tips n Tricks Round box project and was trying to figure out the best way to convert that round box in to a oval or oblong box. I'm playing around with the round box in stretching it out to oblong because I really don't know what I'm doing. I guess I'm trying to save the existing cuts and routing around it. Is it best just to try and start from scratch or is it just as easy to stretch out the round one? I'm also trying to see if there's a way to make the top on the oblong box as a dome shape. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Thanks......

jab73180
10-20-2009, 08:33 PM
i would start from scratch and create a new box. if you get an oval or oblong shape you like you can copy and paste it to get the same exact shape over and over. you can even make your shape, create a carve region, select both parts in designer and copy and paste that too. it is easy to group all the parts together in designer and just select all, copy and paste.

hess
10-21-2009, 04:49 AM
Thanks......

Take a look on the pattern like under the galley sometime back I sent a copy of an oval jewelry box up. it was in black and white lost all my stuff on the pc a few months ago so I dont have it

Here it is . its a 3 level box and the top just replete is as many time as you need and when done it will fan out and hold a music box in the last level

Azbear
10-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks......

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but here's something I made for my wife. If it's not, then never mind.

I can't recall if I found the pattern here or if I created it. I had some left over soft red wood. Next one will be a harder wood. Pics are too large to upload so you can see what it looks like. The wife thinks it's just perfect. I messed up on the math for the lid to the top of middle section. She still likes it. Also, I think it's a bit small, but the wife's hand fits just fine when she needs the salt.

Kenm810
10-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Azbear,

I use your pattern for your salt Container, to make one for myself,
--- The Soup is just not right with out a pinch or two of Salt!! ;)