PDA

View Full Version : CarveWright and tagua nut

worldbizhost
10-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi,
Does anyone has experience of using carvewright machine with tagua nut? I was browsing Internet for a while, but I did not find any information on this question at all.

cnsranch
10-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Well.....

Here's what I found on the 'net about Tagua Nut -

"The ivory nut is close grain and very hard. The cellular structure and grain is similar to that of elephant ivory, but is more dense and resilient. It resembles the finest ivory in texture and color and is slightly softer than mammal ivory and usually contains a void in the center of the nut. Their are several names for this vegetable ivory nut, but the most common is the "Tagua Nut". Its similarity to elephant ivory has been known by craftsman for years and is frequently passed as elephant ivory on objects fashioned from it and can be very deceptive. It being so much like mammal ivory that pieces carved from it are sold at the same price as elephant ivory and in some carvings much more."

Sometime back, I asked about carving Stag or Ivory. Here's that thread...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8849&highlight=ivory

So, I GUESS the answer is yes.

Sounds really cool..

TIMCOSBY
10-15-2009, 09:25 PM
our world. nuts that will try anything including carving on nuts. now where do you get them at? i can tell you'll be a carvaholic befor long.