PDA

View Full Version : Need some expert advice

Griz64
10-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Hi Gang, Not sure if this is going to come across on paper or not but going to try anyway. I was playing around last night trying to make something like a cabinet door. The kind that has the drop panels in them but one piece, kind of a faux drop panel cabinet door. The problem I have come across is how to make the slant cut around the panel. Basically I would like to go from something like .125 down to .5 or so. I hope this is making sense.

So how would one go about getting this accomplished. Please explain this to me in simple form. Thanks for taking the time to answer this

DocWheeler
10-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Griz,

If I understand your request I'm thinking of what I know as a raised-panel door.

I drew one quickly in hopes that this would help. I drew in only two of the four carve contours, you would need to create the other two.

I used the 1/4" round over to create the "frame" edges and then created areas for the taper to the raised portion of the fake panel.
(you will need to invert the dome)

Note that the inside corners will be rounded!

Hope this helps.

BBrooks
10-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Hey Doc,
That is an excellent faux raised panel! I've made quite a few cabinets and doors with raised and flat panels. While i would not chose to do it on a CW since I have the other tools, you example is a perfect workaround for those who might not have a full wood shop.
Cheers!

robbrigg2
10-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks Doc, I always benefit from your sagacity!

DocWheeler
10-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the comments Bill and Rob.

I had to look that word up - not in my vocabulary!

I did not mean to imply that I was an expert when replying to the original post, I had used Designer to create those before - never carved one though.
I thought about using something like that on the "Shoe storage and window-seat" that I posted awhile back.

Griz64
10-16-2009, 02:44 AM
Doc, you are my new hero. That is exactly what I was looking to do but was going about it all wrong. Thanks for opening my eyes and responding. After re reading my post I noticed that I called it a drop panel...it was late, sorry. I knew I could count on someone here to point me in the right direction. Also thank you for including the mpc so I can study it more closely.

DocWheeler
10-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Griz,

For the carved areas, I used the Surface icon and selected the "Bottom dome" for the top one and inverted it. Use the "left" one on the right side, "right" for left etc..
Change the heights as needed to get the look that you want.

I'm glad that this was useful to you.

Edit: Had I been creating this for myself rather than offering an example, I would have attached all points to the centerlines so I could change the board dimensions without screwing things up if (I knew the panel size that I wanted to start with).

Chief
10-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Doc, you are my new hero. That is exactly what I was looking to do but was going about it all wrong. Thanks for opening my eyes and responding. After re reading my post I noticed that I called it a drop panel...it was late, sorry. I knew I could count on someone here to point me in the right direction. Also thank you for including the mpc so I can study it more closely.

I've been making raised panels for some time and I like Doc's solution except for one thing.......... it looks kind of artificial and I think the reason is that you can't tell the rails from the styles. I wouldn't try this on a full piece of good wood but I think it might look more natural if you had a very slight carved line running vertical, separating the rails and styles and, of course, on each side of the door (left and right). Just in case you don't know, the rails are the horizontal pieces and the styles the vertical. A friend had a lot difficulty remembering which is which so I told him to think of fence rails when he was trying to decipher the direction.

AskBud
10-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I've been making raised panels for some time and I like Doc's solution except for one thing.......... it looks kind of artificial and I think the reason is that you can't tell the rails from the styles. I wouldn't try this on a full piece of good wood but I think it might look more natural if you had a very slight carved line running vertical, separating the rails and styles and, of course, on each side of the door (left and right). Just in case you don't know, the rails are the horizontal pieces and the styles the vertical. A friend had a lot difficulty remembering which is which so I told him to think of fence rails when he was trying to decipher the direction.
Rather than adding to the carve, I would suggest that you place a metal ruler on the board and scribe your line with a knife or awl if you wish.
AskBud

normrichards
08-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Need some help. I am trying to replace a busted out raised door panel that is 10 inches by 20 inches. The one on post #2 will work perfect but when I try to change the size to a 10 x 20 inch board (my actual board is 11 1/4 by 24 but I figured I would carve the panel then cut it down on the table saw) I can not get all four sides made to the 10x20 inch size. I tried mirror but it does not work. there are constraints that I either cannot remove to resize or when I change them things go nuts. I tried to completely recreate the four sides but I am doing something wrong there because thats not working. I tried to make one side into a ptn that I thought maybe I could just place four on a board and flip and resize but I can not do that either. I have a small router but not a shaper and definitely do not have any bits to make a raised panel. Can anyone help me to create this?

fwharris
08-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Need some help. I am trying to replace a busted out raised door panel that is 10 inches by 20 inches. The one on post #2 will work perfect but when I try to change the size to a 10 x 20 inch board (my actual board is 11 1/4 by 24 but I figured I would carve the panel then cut it down on the table saw) I can not get all four sides made to the 10x20 inch size. I tried mirror but it does not work. there are constraints that I either cannot remove to resize or when I change them things go nuts. I tried to completely recreate the four sides but I am doing something wrong there because thats not working. I tried to make one side into a ptn that I thought maybe I could just place four on a board and flip and resize but I can not do that either. I have a small router but not a shaper and definitely do not have any bits to make a raised panel. Can anyone help me to create this?

I had to remove ALL restraint from everything and then re size all of the elements. This was a quick put together on my part so everything is not aligned and positioned correctly but it is a start for you..

bergerud
08-14-2016, 03:59 PM
I did the same. Copy and paste to another board removes the constraints.

normrichards
08-14-2016, 04:16 PM
Thank you both so much, I really really appreciate it!

DickB
08-14-2016, 06:07 PM
I use constraints a lot, but in this case I think Snap to Grid works better. I removed all of the constraints and resized the QtrRnd rectangle to 10 x 20. I turned on Snap to Grid at .5" and moved the endpoints of the trapezoids to fit within the rectangle. I copied and pasted the trapezoids, flipped them, inverted them, and drug them to their new positions to complete the panel.

normrichards
08-14-2016, 06:21 PM
thanks dick, I have one of the earlier ones carving as I type, I carved a test on some left over pressed board I had just as a test before I carve an oak piece. If that one is not right I will look at yours. I really appreciate the help.

SteveNelson46
08-14-2016, 06:45 PM
Norm,

Here is the panel door using the "Sweep: Corner" tool. I have also included the pattern in case you don't have the 3D tools.

normrichards
08-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Steve, Thanks, I am already carving earlier version but what I really like is the ptn you made because I can resize it to any size, that is really cool! I do not have anything but basic 1.87 and centerline but the ptn is great. Thanks.

normrichards
08-14-2016, 10:24 PM
81578Here is what you all helped me to accomplish, Thank you again.