PDA

View Full Version : Inserting pattern into carve region...

bladewar7
10-14-2009, 06:46 PM
I've recently obtained some 1/2" scrap pieces of corian from a cabinet shop. I've tried carving into them and they come out too dark in comparison to some others I've done that were 1/4" in thickness. So my question is, is it possible to apply a 1/4" carve region into a piece of 1/2" corian, and then put the pattern that I'm looking to carve inside that carve region in such a way that it reduces the thickness of the corian by 1/4" while carving the pattern into it at the same time? I hope that all came out right even when I read it I get really confused.:-D

Ike
10-14-2009, 07:44 PM
I've recently obtained some 1/2" scrap pieces of corian from a cabinet shop. I've tried carving into them and they come out too dark in comparison to some others I've done that were 1/4" in thickness. So my question is, is it possible to apply a 1/4" carve region into a piece of 1/2" corian, and then put the pattern that I'm looking to carve inside that carve region in such a way that it reduces the thickness of the corian by 1/4" while carving the pattern into it at the same time? I hope that all came out right even when I read it I get really confused.:-D

I have been reading this over and over! I went to the designer and tried what I think you are asking. I used a 12" by 12" board and used a picture. I then put a square around the board same size as the board. Then made the carve region 1/4" it lowered it to 1/4", but left the picture raised. I don't think it is what you are looking for?

I guess you could always reduce the thickness by setting a square and have the machine cut the thickness. Not hard to do but I am stumped!

PCW Dan or ask Bud any thoughts here now I am very curious!

Ike

Kenm810
10-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Have you thought about putting the 1/4" Carve region on one side of the Corian using 2 or 3 passes.
And the actual pattern on the other side as you noramly would.
The results should look like a pattern carved on just 1/4" Corian.

Just a thought

PCW
10-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Ike,

Why settle for less when you have the best (Kenm810).:D

Kenm810
10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Ike,

You can make your pattern recess in your test mpc file :wink:

Ike
10-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Ike,

Why settle for less when you have the best (Kenm810).:D
Dan I feel bad now! Sorry Ken I left you off the list, I have an excuse.... I not too bright!

Ike

Kenm810
10-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Hey, Nothing to worry about,

If anyone, I'm the one working with a 15Watt Bulb. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

mtylerfl
10-15-2009, 07:52 AM
A heads up - I believe it is recommended that you cut/carve into Corian only a max. of 1/8" deep. Here's a quote from the CarveWright website...

"Note that the machine is always expecting soft material like wood as the carving medium and will automatically set the speed and feed rates based on this expectation. Therefore it is very important to keep any carving in plastic to less than 1/8” deep. Deeper carving will put excessive load on the machine by trying to push a bit through this hard material and can cause damage."

Also, Jason (of Little Red Woodshop) tells me that he considers a dust collection system a must when tooling Corian in the machine. The small (sharp) particles produced while carving can become embedded into the pressure rollers and a dust collection system helps minimize this problem.

Eagle Hollow
10-15-2009, 07:59 AM
A heads up - I believe it is recommended that you cut/carve into Corian only a max. of 1/8" deep. Here's a quote from the CarveWright website...

"Note that the machine is always expecting soft material like wood as the carving medium and will automatically set the speed and feed rates based on this expectation. Therefore it is very important to keep any carving in plastic to less than 1/8” deep. Deeper carving will put excessive load on the machine by trying to push a bit through this hard material and can cause damage."

Also, Jason (of Little Red Woodshop) tells me that he considers a dust collection system a must when tooling Corian in the machine. The small (sharp) particles produced while carving can become embedded into the pressure rollers and a dust collection system helps minimize this problem.

Also, using the optimal setting reduces the bite the bit takes on each pass.

cnsranch
10-15-2009, 09:00 AM

Read the thread, didn't realize you shouldn't carve Corian more than 1/8" (??)

Has that always been the case - this is the very first I've heard of that?

Regardless, I've been carving 1/2" with no problems. I simply made the carve deeper than I would using 1/4".

With 1/4", you set the carve at @ .150 depth, with 1/2", I set it an additional 1/4", or .400.

I'm no expert, but I've found that if the deepest part of your carve leaves about .12 to .13 of material, you get the light effect you want.

I know that there quite a few that have carved 1/2" as well, I guess we do so at our own risk from now on.

Kenm810
10-15-2009, 09:09 AM
I'll Quote Myself: "Have you thought about putting the 1/4" Carve region on one side of the Corian using 2 or 3 passes."

I totally agree with Michael T and Jerry --.125 at a time Max. for carve regions in Corian.
It may take a little longer to carve, but it's much safer for your Bits and Machine.

mtylerfl
10-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Perhaps Jason will see this post and chime in as well. I know he has a lot of experience with Corian carving too. Maybe he can offer further insight regarding carving depths over 1/8", and if he has personally experienced any cause for concern.

cnsranch
10-15-2009, 10:20 AM
MT

Has that always been LHR's recommendation (1/8" depth)?

FWIW, I thought the 1/2" Corian cut like butter.

easybuilt
10-15-2009, 12:09 PM
I just started cutting plaques out of 1/2" corian. So far it is cutting real nice for names and company logo's. Good detail. Now I am trying to decide how to hang them. I have not tried 1/4", do you think it is too thin for a plaque?

dbfletcher
10-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Im not sure how this would work with corian, but I really love using a keyhole bit with the CW for mounting wood plaques/signs.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=9801&highlight=keyhole

Doug Fletcher

Kenm810
10-15-2009, 01:02 PM
I posted a question a year ago or so, While I was carving a lot of 1/4" Bone Corian. -- (Is all Corian the same hardness??)

I had run into some incredibly tough White Corian, that gave me several 'Y" axis stalls, and quickly dulled my Carving Bit.
I checked to make sure the stock I was trying to carve was really DuPont Corian,
I went to the Supplier, he showed me the labeling on the back of the Sheets in his stock to Insure me that it was.
His Answer the my question about uniform hardess was (I suppose so and a shrug of his shoulders)
After carving a few more Lithos in the Bone Corian I had. I decided to try the some of that White Corian again,
Less than minute into the first carving at depth of .150" the "Y" axis Drive Belt started slipping and lost 4 teeth off the white Drive Gear.
"Coincidence --- or ---just a fluke" --- maybe, But I'd rather not take that Chance again. :? ---.125 per carving or cut pass is Fine for Me.

Ps. I have carved lithos in some new White 1/4" Corian I bought --- without a Problem.

mtylerfl
10-15-2009, 02:42 PM
MT

Has that always been LHR's recommendation (1/8" depth)?

FWIW, I thought the 1/2" Corian cut like butter.

Hi Jerry,

It has been so as far back as I can remember. I might check with them again to see if that needs to be updated or not.

easybuilt
10-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Thank you dbfletcher for the key hole link. I think that will work.
I will try it this weekend.

dbfletcher
10-15-2009, 07:53 PM
I would practice/experiment on some scrap wood first.... remember.. you want the keyhole bit to plunge in... travel some distance (I generally use .3-.4") then go back to the original plunge location. (Other wise you end up with two holes). I assume you already knew this, bt I just wanted to throw it out in case that part didnt immediately "click" with you.

Again, I've only done this with wood (oak, pine), but it sure does give that "professional" finish to the piece.

Has anyone tried this with corian?

Here is another link that I think better explains the keyhole bit and how some use it.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12557&highlight=keyhole

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher