PDA

View Full Version : Please Close Cover

davidbf
10-14-2009, 10:57 AM
I just replaced all the bearings on my " Y " truck. Now when i try to carve something i get PLEASE CLOSE COVER. Yes the cover is closed right & both switches click when the cover is closed. I dubled checked all the wires that i had to take loose and they are connected ok. I think i will put a piece of masking tape on the knobs that contact the switches.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT MAY BE CAUSING THIS ?

fwharris
10-14-2009, 11:08 AM
I just replaced all the bearings on my " Y " truck. Now when i try to carve something i get PLEASE CLOSE COVER. Yes the cover is closed right & both switches click when the cover is closed. I dubled checked all the wires that i had to take loose and they are connected ok. I think i will put a piece of masking tape on the knobs that contact the switches.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT MAY BE CAUSING THIS ?

Dave,

One possible thing to check since you had the top off to change the bearings is did you let the door flex open when you had the top off. If so it might have caused the door be get out of alignment with the switches and when the cut motor starts up it vibrates the tab on the door off of the switch contacts.

When you get the close cover try reaching in through the top slot with your fingers and press on the switch to see if you can get the continue msg to come up. If it does you might need to adjust the switches or the door alignment.

davidbf
10-14-2009, 11:20 AM
fwharris
I'll give it a try. I think i forgot to mention that the first time I tried the machine I had an error on the card.The machine did not show close cover then. After I took the error off the card and tried it again it started showing close cover. Do you know if there is a sure fire way to adjust the roller bearings on the Y truck.

fwharris
10-14-2009, 12:07 PM
fwharris
I'll give it a try. I think i forgot to mention that the first time I tried the machine I had an error on the card.The machine did not show close cover then. After I took the error off the card and tried it again it started showing close cover. Do you know if there is a sure fire way to adjust the roller bearings on the Y truck.

David,

Here is the pdf for the Y Truck that shows the adjustment for the Y bearings:
http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_y-truck.pdf

Also Al, posted a great tip on how to install/adjust the adjustable bearings. this would apply to both the Z and Y bearings. I found it to be a lot simplier method.

Read post #8..
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=11359&highlight=z+truck+replacement

Digitalwoodshop
10-14-2009, 12:17 PM
The plug for the Left cover Switch CAN be installed 180 degrees out.... The White Wire in the plug should be facing the Center.

Letting the clear cover rest on the left and right switches when the top cover is removed has been known to damage the switches and break the screw holes making the switch loose.

AL

icebite1
10-14-2009, 12:53 PM
if Al's suggestion doesnt work check to make sure you didnt bend one of the little pins on the board where the connector plugs in

forqnc
10-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Also check the kepad display under options to see if the switches change, this would illiminate all cables and wiring.

TurtleCove
12-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Guys, I'm getting the Please Close Cover error, too. I just installed the Rock Chuck. Not sure what that may have affected. But, as I read this thread, I must be kinda thick headed, cuz there's a lot I'm not understanding, that may help me. Let me be more exact:

Forqnc writes: also check the kepad display under options to see if the switches change

what does he mean by "see if the switches change" ? Under the Options menu, I see the Cover Switch menu, and it says Open, regardless of my cover being open or closed.
=========================
icebite1 wrote: "check to make sure you didnt bend one of the little pins on the board where the connector plugs in"

What board? What connector? There are 2 wires that go up to the cover switch. Is he talking about the other end of those wires...where they must connect to some board? How do we know where the other end of those wires go?....
DigitalWoodshop wrote: "the plug for the Left cover Switch CAN be installed 180 degrees out.... The White Wire in the plug should be facing the Center."

"180 degrees out": What does that mean?
"White Wire...facing the center": there are 3 terminals on the cover switch. My white wire is soldered to the center terminal. What does he mean by "facing the center"? That seems like an odd way to say, "connected to the center terminal"...so I'm wondering what I'm not understanding.

Thanks gang....any help with this error would be greatly appreciated.

fwharris
12-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Guys, I'm getting the Please Close Cover error, too. I just installed the Rock Chuck. Not sure what that may have affected. But, as I read this thread, I must be kinda thick headed, cuz there's a lot I'm not understanding, that may help me. Let me be more exact:

Forqnc writes: also check the kepad display under options to see if the switches change

what does he mean by "see if the switches change" ? Under the Options menu, I see the Cover Switch menu, and it says Open, regardless of my cover being open or closed.
icebite1 wrote: "check to make sure you didnt bend one of the little pins on the board where the connector plugs in"

What board? What connector? There are 2 wires that go up to the cover switch. Is he talking about the other end of those wires...where they must connect to some board? How do we know where the other end of those wires go?....
DigitalWoodshop wrote: "the plug for the Left cover Switch CAN be installed 180 degrees out.... The White Wire in the plug should be facing the Center."

"180 degrees out": What does that mean?
"White Wire...facing the center": there are 3 terminals on the cover switch. My white wire is soldered to the center terminal. What does he mean by "facing the center"? That seems like an odd way to say, "connected to the center terminal"...so I'm wondering what I'm not understanding.

Thanks gang....any help with this error would be greatly appreciated.

You verifed that the swithch is in an "open" state by using the option/sensor check..

What Al and Icebite1 are talking about is where the wires go to from the switch. They go to the circut board behind the ztruck. Since you had not done anything but move the machine to the shop I would doubt that would be the problem.. If you have ever removed to top cover off of the machine that is the wires you unplug to take the cover off. Al is saying that there is a chance that the plug to inserted bassackwards...

Shawnf2
12-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I get the close cover error sometimes too goes to start carve and says close cover I hit enter starts to carve then stops again close cover, I got the rock.What I did was put masking tape on the cover switch tabs and then a few pieces of tape holding the cover to the machine tight during carving, worked fine,if i need to stop it I hit stop on the keypad instead of ripping the cover open.Also noticed in colder weather got the close cover more often.
Shawn

ByBry
12-24-2009, 08:32 AM
I too have a close cover error that is making me crazy. I have checked and double checked all electrical connections, have pressed the sensor switch myself, have restarted teh machine 100 times, have done everything known to man and sill "Close Cover". I removed the cover to replace my flex-shaft. Should be a simple operation, the shaft was, the secondary problem of "Close Cover" is now a nightmare.

Since the plig in wire behind thew z-truck is a keyed connector it can't be installed backwards as was suggessted in an earlier response. One would think that with so many situations that could involve a cover removal that Carvewright would pay attention to this problem.

Digitalwoodshop
12-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Yes the plug on the back can be installed backwards... I did it.... That is how I know... You just need to push a little harder not paying attention...

So the question is?.... The White Wire in the group of wires should face the center of the machine... Is your white wire facing the center of the machine?

Another thing that will cause the close cover is a Shorted board Detector wire.... You loose the Z and Y data when this happens... Or at least I did when the wire was shorted.

When you find your plug IS backwards.... Your WELCOME.
AL

TerryT
12-24-2009, 06:26 PM
If you find that everythig else is ok, try this. Remove the switch, snap the two halves apart, run a small strip of 400 or 600 sandpaper between the contacts, blow it out and snap it back together. If the problem is the switch itself this should fix it for a couple hundred hours of carving. Becareful not to lose any parts inside, however.

Lord U
01-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi guys,

I thought I'd come here for some advice.
After a long story, I managed to get all the missing parts for my carvewright/compucarve. Nothing with the compucarve, just the bits,
memory card, and memory reader.

And I managed to carve 3 pieces of wood. Sweet!

However, on my 2nd and 3rd carving run, I got a "Please close cover"
error and "Please close cover and press ENTER to continue" error.

This happened when the cover was closed.

On my 2nd run, it popped up twice. And on my 3rd run, it popped up
3 times.

I lifted the cover and found the push button sensor which is located
on the top right (if your facing the front). It looks like there is only 1 button sensor switch. If there is a second one, I cant find it.

So I vacuumed the switch and used a can of air on the button sensor switch. Just in case there was some dust or wood stuff there.

But it seems to randomly go off. This isnt a problem yet as, my carvings so far take under 30 minutes. But this is going to be hell if its going to be a 9 hour carving.

Anyone have any solutions or a top 10 list of problems that might cause it?

Thanks,

- U

fwharris
01-04-2010, 09:29 PM
U,

There are 2 switches. One on each side of the cover as you are facing the machine with the cover open. Left switch is the "close cover" , right switch controls the cut motor.

Things that can cause the error are; vibration, dust in the switch, cover out of alignment, switch out of alignment, switch contacts corroded.

AskBud
01-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Hi guys,

I thought I'd come here for some advice.
After a long story, I managed to get all the missing parts for my carvewright/compucarve. Nothing with the compucarve, just the bits,
memory card, and memory reader.

And I managed to carve 3 pieces of wood. Sweet!

However, on my 2nd and 3rd carving run, I got a "Please close cover"
error and "Please close cover and press ENTER to continue" error.

This happened when the cover was closed.

On my 2nd run, it popped up twice. And on my 3rd run, it popped up
3 times.

I lifted the cover and found the push button sensor which is located
on the top right (if your facing the front). It looks like there is only 1 button sensor switch. If there is a second one, I cant find it.

So I vacuumed the switch and used a can of air on the button sensor switch. Just in case there was some dust or wood stuff there.

But it seems to randomly go off. This isnt a problem yet as, my carvings so far take under 30 minutes. But this is going to be hell if its going to be a 9 hour carving.

Anyone have any solutions or a top 10 list of problems that might cause it?

Thanks,

- U

U,
The switch you are looking for is on your Left side, by the keypad.
If could be that it is out of adjustment, or the switch is dirts, cold, etc. Under the OPTIONS button, you will fine a SENSOR CHECK to run through all the sensors.

Quick & Dirty:
To test the cover, place a strip of masking tape starting near the top and beyond the bottom , on the keypad side and see if the solves the Close error.
It could just be vibration of the machine while carving. If so, adjust the switch forward just a tad.

If that does not resolve the issue, continue on to other measures.
AskBud

Lord U
01-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Whoa fast response!

Found that 2nd sensor switch for the cover exactly where you
guys said. At first it didnt look like a switch, then I shined a flashlight right at the left cover tab, and turns out it is a switch.

The left button sensor and the right button sensor have different buttons!
The left one is colored black and the right one is color silver. Plus the right one sticks out more.

So, I just air canned the left button and vacuumed the left button.
Hopefully that will solve things next run.

Thanks guys, I'll be back posting again in case the vacuum and can of air doesnt work. It's late, and dont want to wake the neighbors.

- U

p.s. This is a loud little compucarve, lol.

Digitalwoodshop
01-05-2010, 11:10 AM
I would go to options and call up the sensor data with the cover switch and close the cover and thump on the top of the machine with your fist simulating vibration and see if the LCD shows changes to open and closed with vibration.. Could be loose screws holding the switch or loose clear cover hinge screws.

AL