PDA

View Full Version : The Newest Newbie

WesLA
10-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I am new to the CW/CC world and new to this forum. I bought a used CC machine after reading many good and bad reviews. I was a bit leery but felt I got a good enough deal that if it didn’t work out I wouldn’t be destitute. The machine I bought has less than 60 hours and the only problem was an overheated flexshaft. It also came with 2 extra carving and cutting bits and a scanning probe.

When thinking about the CC I thought it could blend three of my favorite hobbies, woodworking, computer art, and guitars. I have experience with AutoCad and Photoshop and figured that would help too. After reading some posts and reviews I did get a little nervous, sounds like a lot of people have a lot of problems.

Before I started I read a lot on this forum. You guys are great and very helpful! “Liquid guitars” is not only helpful in his posts but very inspirational in his work. As I started my first project, a sign for our camping club, I anticipated that there may be a few issues or delays. I made sure the CC was cleaned thoroughly and the flexshaft was lubed using high temp-moly lube. I put my board in, cranked it down, answered a few questions on the keypad and away it went. Five hours later out came my design! Not one problem!

I want to thank everyone who posts and replies on this site, your Q&A’s have helped me more than you know. Attached are pictures of my sign, carved and then finished.

Thanks to all, the newest Newbie, Wes

hogiewan
10-13-2009, 09:18 PM
nice job - the finishing looks fantastic!

c6craig
10-13-2009, 09:24 PM
WesLA -

Great job on the signs. Welcome to the world of CC/CW. Good luck with your machine and I look forward to seeing more of these great projects!

Congrats on taking the plunge! :)

Craig

Digitalwoodshop
10-13-2009, 10:03 PM
WOW... GREAT DESIGN !!!! I look forward to seeing more of your designs....

Welcome,

AL

hogiewan
10-13-2009, 10:06 PM
I am new to the CW/CC world and new to this forum. I bought a used CC machine after reading many good and bad reviews.

I saw a lot of bad reviews as well. I jumped in a couple months ago. I haven't done a whole lot yet, but I am gearing up to start cutting out Christmas presents

Woodhacker
10-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of carving Wes. Your first project looks great. Please continue to post your work. I am sure you will that the folks here will go out of their way to help you in any way they can. From patterns and .mpc files all the way to a complete breakdown of the machine and how to fix it. Have fun with your new hobby.

fwharris
10-14-2009, 12:16 AM
WesLa,

Welcome to the forum. Real nice design and finishing job! Looking forward to seeing more of your designs and work.

RayTrek
10-14-2009, 06:54 AM
Hello Wes and welcome,

Very cool project, it shows you have skills, patience and attention to detail.
I look forward to seeing your work as you go along, and thanks for sharing we all love to see what people are doing.
Ray

DocWheeler
10-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Wes,

I'll add my welcome and congratulations on getting past the negative posts.
That was quite a leap of faith getting a used CC.

Nice first project!

cnsranch
10-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Five hours later out came my design! Not one problem!

Atta boy!!

geekviking
10-14-2009, 07:24 PM
The beginning of a new addiction.... :cool:

Very cool sign, & welcome(!) to the family.

Ike
10-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Fantastic!!! You got it dial down and welcome to forum! I wish I picked it as quickly as you have!

Ike

WesLA
10-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks for all the complements on my sign. Geekviking is right, I'm addicted! I'm working on two signs for Christmas presents, got them carved, again no problems at all! I can't wait to move on to something else..... this is too much fun!

Wes

Ike
10-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Isn't amazing the things you can do on this little and inexpensive machine?! It is such an assets to my sign shop! Wait until you start venturing into 3D models and if you have a probe the things you can do!

I have a probe and never used it yet, this fall and winter I will fix this problem! Plus I want to invest in the new 3D software! But first I going to learn how to use my K2 CNC and use my 3D software I have!

Again you have it dial down and I know signs! Can't wait to see the next set of signs!

Ike

TerryT
10-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Wes
Most of us had a pile of reject projects knee deep before we mastered layering. Nice work.