PDA

View Full Version : Cedar

chebytrk
10-13-2009, 10:26 AM
I've made a plaque using cedar and would like to know what kind of finish I can put on it. I'd like to find something that can still let the cedar aroma come out. Any recommendations? Thanks

cnsranch
10-13-2009, 10:36 AM
If the project is for indoors, leave the back untouched, no finish, etc. You'll get plenty of the aromatic tendencies that way.

However, the experts will tell you when building a cedar chest, or closet, that you occasionally need to re-sand the surfaces of the wood. If you think about it, it makes sense that as the wood dries, it loses its effect, and sanding it gets back to "fresher" surfaces.

Woodhacker
10-13-2009, 11:50 AM
I agree with Jerry. Any finish you put on it would just lock in the aroma.

liquidguitars
10-13-2009, 12:04 PM
I use min wax "clear" and one coat of spray Lacquer but the finish will remove some of the smell at least for a few months.

LG

Kenm810
10-13-2009, 12:44 PM
An up-daterd post from about a year or two ago.

I had few ¾” x 5” x 8’ Cedar Closet lining boards left over from a down stairs storage room we built a few years ago.
It carves well and looks beautiful when I leave it natural or seal Just the front, the back will still have a fresh, aromatic, Cedar Scent.
-- Of course my younger Son always complains that the whole shop smells like a Hamster Cage when ever I run a Cedar project
through my Carving Machine. ------ I like it

Aromatic Cedar Blocks or Personalized Drawer Fresheners
Tucked into dresser drawers, storage containers or luggage, your cedar blocks protect fine fabrics from harmful moths and other insects with a fresh Scent.
When the Natural Scent begins to fade, just lightly sand the Cedar projects natural unfinished back to restore the Aromatic Scent.
You can carve any text or pattern on them. We sometimes give sets away as gifts.

Cedar Oil
Over time the natural oils that produce cedar's aroma gradually evaporate.
Now you can restore your cedars natural pleasant aroma with this 100% natural oil of aromatic Eastern Red Cedar Wood.
Naturally repells moths! 8 fl. oz. bottle covers 300 sq ft. (varies depending on the age of the wood).

Directions:Lightly sand the entire surface, and then wipe down with a damp cloth.
If the cedar scent of your wood is not restored, sparingly apply cedar oil as follows.
Pour a small amount on a soft clean cloth and rub lightly over the entire cedar surface.

I still have three Quarters of the Can I bought from the local Rockler wood working store afew years ago.

hogiewan
10-13-2009, 03:45 PM
I was going to suggest an oil finish. It's not as durable, but that isn't needed

liquidguitars
10-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Got some nice cedar last week at my local lumber store, I decided to give it a shot making one of my violins.

here is the violin lightweight at only 15.6 oz and in western red cedar.

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/ElectricViolinR001.jpg

LG

Kenm810
10-16-2009, 12:55 PM
LG, another Winner for Sure,

A truly Awesome piece of Woodworking Artistry!

liquidguitars
10-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Thank you sir,

My hands are sore from sanding " I did a few this week" , grumpy and tired.. :)

PCW
10-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Way to go Brandon!!! Under a pound that is a lightweight.

WRW
10-16-2009, 01:22 PM
LG
Absolutely beautiful you are an artist in more ways then one, love the cacti background in photo.

liquidguitars
10-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks!

Its important for the violin to be light as possible without floating away in a wind storm..

After about a 30 min of playing a "solid" electric violin your neck can get trashed.. so light is good for tone and also ergonomics.

Cedar is so cool to carve.

mtylerfl
10-16-2009, 07:40 PM
What an awesome violin! Another Winner for sure - dang, I wish I could play violin - I just want to hold something that beautiful in my hands for awhile.

Great photo backdrop, too! Love the contrast of the graceful contours of the violin with the prickly cactus. Gorgeous.