PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection

Uncle joe's woodworx
10-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Just received my dust collector from Floyd Harris of Ring Neck Blues Designs and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!. Great job Floyd. Now between the ROCK and the DC insert I am really enjoying my machine. God has blessed thes two men with a great talent and they have in turn passed it on to us . Thanks again and I hope my machine stays as happy as I am. Joe.

chebytrk
10-13-2009, 11:01 AM
got mine installed yesterday and it works great! Thanks Floyd. You da man!
Question.... is it recommended to tape up the slot on the bottom of the CW or should I leave it open?

fwharris
10-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Just received my dust collector from Floyd Harris of Ring Neck Blues Designs and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!. Great job Floyd. Now between the ROCK and the DC insert I am really enjoying my machine. God has blessed thes two men with a great talent and they have in turn passed it on to us . Thanks again and I hope my machine stays as happy as I am. Joe.

Joe,

Glad to see that you got the insert and that it is working as planned for you. Also thanks for the great comments! Being placed along side of Ron and the Rock is a true honor but maybe a little bit of a streach..:D

fwharris
10-13-2009, 11:23 AM
got mine installed yesterday and it works great! Thanks Floyd. You da man!
Question.... is it recommended to tape up the slot on the bottom of the CW or should I leave it open?

Jerry,

Glad you got the insert all installed along with getting your dust collector. Glad to hear you really like it!

I would leave the bottom slot open to get the added benefit. to do this you will need a Y connection from your dust collector with a hose going to the down draft port and the other to the insert. Also install a gate valve on each then you can adjust the air flow to each.

Thanks for ordering the insert!!

Digitalwoodshop
10-13-2009, 12:05 PM
How about some detail pictures please.

AL

chebytrk
10-13-2009, 02:24 PM

AL

If I take some pics with my camera phone where can I put them up to so I can then attach and show here? Flikr maybe? Never done it before so I'm just trying to see what's a good site.

mtylerfl
10-13-2009, 02:51 PM
If I take some pics with my camera phone where can I put them up to so I can then attach and show here? Flikr maybe? Never done it before so I'm just trying to see what's a good site.

You can attach the photos here, using the "Manage Attachments" button in the "Additional Options Section" when you make your post.

fwharris
10-13-2009, 03:04 PM

AL

Al,

Are you asking for some pictures from those with the insert and their set up or from me???

Digitalwoodshop
10-13-2009, 08:28 PM
I was looking for some pictures of the unit and of the unit installed to learn from your design choice and weight the merits of purchasing 2 units from you or making 2 of my own design.

I am still dragging around my idea of making a collection shoe that attach's to the truck and is tethered to the center of the machine and the hose dragged left and right sucking up chips at the source....

I think a more conservative design around a shoe would let my dust collection be more effective letting me collect from 3 machines on one 2 HP collector. With my design I tried collecting from 2 machines at the same time and got poor results...

AL

gwizpro
10-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Al, I run 2 machines with the design in the following video and 1 650 cfm dust collector, it works perfectly.
I would imagine it could handle 3 as the cfm requirement to pull the debris is low on this type design. Plus it is easy to make...

Also there is enough suction that the chute needs no hold downs, vacuum holds it to the machine.

See this video of the debris chute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhfM0jBekww

fwharris
10-13-2009, 11:42 PM
I was looking for some pictures of the unit and of the unit installed to learn from your design choice and weight the merits of purchasing 2 units from you or making 2 of my own design.

I am still dragging around my idea of making a collection shoe that attach's to the truck and is tethered to the center of the machine and the hose dragged left and right sucking up chips at the source....

I think a more conservative design around a shoe would let my dust collection be more effective letting me collect from 3 machines on one 2 HP collector. With my design I tried collecting from 2 machines at the same time and got poor results...

AL

Here are some of my pictures of the DC- Insert. You will notice on the last one of the thumb screw hold down the other metal strap. That was my first design for the locking system. It worked good but the thumb screw does a better job.

More pictures on next post..

fwharris
10-13-2009, 11:56 PM
these are side views of the insert. Please note this is the unit I have on my machine.
Just learned that I do not have any pictures of the new design.

This design does not by pass any of the built in safety features of the machine, meaning the door switches to stop the cut motor and the z/y movement.

The bent over lip locks over the edge of the upper tray that is above the compression roller. all of the seams are taped with foil duct tape..

The ones I am selling actually are enclosed more at the in take to give it more of a nozzle effect. When I get another one made I will update this post and my web site.
Or if anyone who has one would like to post some pictures please do.

Any other questions let me know!!!

hess
10-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Hey Al
I have a 2 hp says it is pulling over 1500 cfm have both units on a dd with 4 in hose and anther going to the hoods on a 4 inch and all I can say is they work well

I been doing corain for the last 2 weeks dust left cannot be much there is a bit thrown out the front on the floor but just a tad

I decided to add a bit of brush like stuff at a sl an gal near the pickup hole in the hood that seemed to even pull better until the hood sucked it up

chebytrk
10-14-2009, 08:49 AM
these are side views of the insert. Please note this is the unit I have on my machine.
Just learned that I do not have any pictures of the new design.

This design does not by pass any of the built in safety features of the machine, meaning the door switches to stop the cut motor and the z/y movement.

The bent over lip locks over the edge of the upper tray that is above the compression roller. all of the seams are taped with foil duct tape..

The ones I am selling actually are enclosed more at the in take to give it more of a nozzle effect. When I get another one made I will update this post and my web site.
Or if anyone who has one would like to post some pictures please do.

Any other questions let me know!!!

Question.............
I notice that you glued the "cut off" cover piece back on the cover. Is that necessary or is there a benefit to doing that?

Digitalwoodshop
10-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Thank You everyone for the pictures.. And Video....

I was very impressed with the GwizPro concept of using the machine metal as the other side of the collector..... I made a bottom and cut a notch in the bottom to fit over the slit... I loose vacuum even with the foam at the slit.... I like your design better.....

I also will give serious thought to operating the machine with the top plastic cover off.... Being a little A... retentive about safety and having had the QC "THROW" a bit, I never gave it a thought about operating it without the cover.... With the ROCK that wil never happen again...

I was already planning to wall mount the machine and remove the cut motor and install it in a metal box letting the fan pull air into the box to cool it and cut down on the noise with a muffler. Mounting the motor so the flex just hangs in the center and forward of the machine reducing the stress on the flex. I will use the collector to draw air from the electronic compartment for cooling.

GREAT IDEAS...... Thanks FW and GwizPro....

AL

fwharris
10-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Question.............
I notice that you glued the "cut off" cover piece back on the cover. Is that necessary or is there a benefit to doing that?

Jerry,

It is not necassary, I just thought it was better than throwing it away or having it laying around and getting in the way.

fwharris
10-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Thank You everyone for the pictures.. And Video....

I was very impressed with the GwizPro concept of using the machine metal as the other side of the collector..... I made a bottom and cut a notch in the bottom to fit over the slit... I loose vacuum even with the foam at the slit.... I like your design better.....

GREAT IDEAS...... Thanks FW and GwizPro....

AL

Al,

No problem on the pictures!! Good thing you asked as it showed me that I need to get some pictures of the actual unit.

I thought about using the top tray for the bottom of the collector also, but in doing my research for the design I read your comments about the sealing issue. Based on that I just went with making the insert with the bottom. I have also seen that a lot of the carvers do not have the high volume dust collectors like a large wood shop would have. I would guess that a lot of the "hobbyist" guys use units that are 500 to 1000 cfm and might not be able to get enough suction to hold it in place while running a down draft with the insert.

Digitalwoodshop
10-14-2009, 10:31 AM
FW,

Good Points and GREAT Pictures. I have blocked off half of my lower slot collection with a piece of tin and collect mostly from the top.

This has given me food for thought... In the wall mount I will have a blast gate and just use the bottom for machine cleaning.

Thanks again,

AL

Fletcher
10-15-2009, 02:20 PM
I just finished setting up my machine for serious carving yesterday. I have played with it a bit without dust collection and using the QC. Now I have installed the RC, built the dust collector shown by gwizpro(THANKS!), and built a rolling stand for the machine and dust collector. I work in my garage and need to "change" things around often. I also did the epoxy stops on my bits thanks to another post on here as well. Everything works great.

This forum ROCKS! So much info - thank you everybody who contributes! My little setup works VERY well now and is portable if need be.

Anyhow, here are some pics!

Cheers!
Darrin

PCW
10-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Darrin,

Looks like you are off to a great start. Good job

gwizpro
10-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Darrin, Is the suction enough to hold the collector to the machine....
I really like the way you set up the stand, think I will do that too.

By the way the dust collector we are using is only 650 cfm. and it holds the collector very well to the machine base, tomorrow I will try a wet vac.

Tom

Fletcher
10-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks PCW!

Hi Tom,

I didn't have an elbow like you so my hose really pulls upward on the collector, it wouldn't stay put. On the base where you place it, there were two little holes. I drilled them out and tapped them for 1/4-20 cap screws - they work well for hand tightening. You can see my ground wire for the DC going to one of them.

I can change bits without removing the hood by putting the allen-wrench inside the machine sideways where the y-truck moves back and forth. Thanks for a great dust hood plan! I built the stand with a slot in the bottom and a plenum underneath but need to get a y-connector before I can get that going...

The machine is bolted to the table so that you can tilt it onto the wheels and roll it around. I also put foam rubber pads under the DC base plate because it was causing a fair bit of vibration in the stand.

One more thing, for anybody who may be considering the Rock Chuck..... Don't hesitate. This one vital piece makes such a difference, it's like the last piece in a puzzle - it's just not complete without it. Thanks Ron!

fwharris
10-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Of my DC-Insert are now up on my web site..

Here is a couple of them..

BBrooks
10-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Of my DC-Insert are now up on my web site..

Here is a couple of them..

And they looked so good I just ordered one. Really!
Cheers,

fwharris
10-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the order!! Guess I had better check my emial and get busy!!1

Thanks again!!

BBrooks
10-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the order!! Guess I had better check my emial and get busy!!1

Thanks again!!

Got it today and decided to try a lithophane using the cheapo cutting board from Lowes material.
Floyd, Your dust collection hood sucks! It is pulling the chips out so fast I can't even see it. 15 minutes into the carve and the CW is as clean as when it started.
AWESOME! THANK YOU!
Cheers,

fwharris
10-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Got it today and decided to try a lithophane using the cheapo cutting board from Lowes material.
Floyd, Your dust collection hood sucks! It is pulling the chips out so fast I can't even see it. 15 minutes into the carve and the CW is as clean as when it started.
AWESOME! THANK YOU!
Cheers,

Bill,

Thanks for the sucking review!! :D

Glad to see that you got it today, been checking USP info and glad to know their delivery is faster than their system.

Thanks again for the order and the great review!!

PS: I did have a request when I first started making these for a clear window in the insert so they could watch the dust being sucked up. Told the guy he was still addicted to watching the carving head go back and forth!!

PCW
11-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Floyd,

Just installed the DC hood and it really sucks. Very nice workmanship and does a amazingly good job of sucking. Another satisfied customer.

Good Job!!!:D

fwharris
11-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Floyd,

Just installed the DC hood and it really sucks. Very nice workmanship and does a amazingly good job of sucking. Another satisfied customer.

Good Job!!!:D

HEHEHE!! LOL!!

Dan,

Thanks for great comments!! and the order. Glad to hear it is sucking it up for you!!

Thanks again!!

Shacky
11-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Got my DC insert from Floyd on Friday and my $99 dust collector from Harbor Freight on Saturday.

I am VERY pleased with the results. The difference in the amount of airborne dust and sawdust is amazing. No more stopping the project to suck out piles of saw dust.

Also, I had a question or two for Floyd after purchase and he was right there for me.

fwharris
11-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Shacky,

Glad to see you got every thing in place now for your dust collection system and thanks for the kind words on the DC-Insert.

Got my DC insert from Floyd on Friday and my $99 dust collector from Harbor Freight on Saturday.

I am VERY pleased with the results. The difference in the amount of airborne dust and sawdust is amazing. No more stopping the project to suck out piles of saw dust.

Also, I had a question or two for Floyd after purchase and he was right there for me.

Bowengg
11-05-2009, 05:49 PM

What kind is it? How noisy?

Gordon