PDA

View Full Version : Cocking the quick release chuck

Carver D
10-12-2009, 01:42 PM
HELP! I've tried everything in the manual, but still annot get the quick release chuck to release the bit, so that I can change bits What else can I do?

Thanks!

Carver D

cnsranch
10-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Do a search - "stuck bit" (with the quote marks) you'll find a ton of answers.

c6craig
10-12-2009, 01:50 PM
The basics are to try tapping the chuck as you turn it around to dislodge sawdust that may have packed up there.

You can also try what's become know as the "slingshot" - put a rag under the bit, pull the chuck up and let it snap down a few times. The rag is there to catch the bit when it falls...

Good luck. In the future, you want to make sure to clean the chuck well after each bit change, and put a dab of 3-in-1 oil on each bit before you put it in. You also want to make sure your set screws are nice and tight, if they back out during a carve, its a bear to get out....

Thanks,
Craig

mtylerfl
10-12-2009, 02:02 PM
You can also try squirting some WD-40 UP into the slots between the bit adapter and the inner circumference of the QC (lay a bunch of old towels under it to catch the drips and avoid spraying things you don't want to get the WD-40 on).

After that, the QC should release the bit/adapter without too much effort, by turning the chuck while gently leveraging the bit removal tool to raise the QC. Basically, the WD-40 "washes" the super-fine sawdust out of the QC and allows it to function properly again. After removal, wipe the QC inside and out with paper towels and apply a teeny amount of 3-in-1 oil inside (with a finger) to help prevent rust if that is a problem in your area. Some folks do not put any oil at all inside the QC, but here in southern Georgia, it is a "must".

If the bit is still stubbornly stuck, it may be possible that one or both of the setscrews worked loose enough to where it is wedging the bit adapter assembly in the chuck. That would make it a little tougher to get the bit out.

Please let us know how you make out, and if you need any more help.

Digitalwoodshop
10-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Yes, the slingshot is the way out of this adventure.

Things that can cause this are....

Wood Chips and dust in the QC.

Not lubricating the QC with 3 in one oil.

Screws on the bit holders backing out and loose.

Screws should be installed with blue removable lock tite

Screws that have a film of lock tite on the outside and cause the sticking in the QC.

A New QC until it is broke in and lubricated will cause this.

The real fix for QC Problems is to replace the QC out of Pocket with the After Market ROCK Chuck that holds the bits without the bit holders.

The QC is known for trouble and many of us here invested in the ROCK and a quick search will show all the praise for the Rock. Your machine will run quieter, more accurate and less hassle of the QC.

The QC has been known to THROW the bit out and cause damage to the QC that comes down on a bit holder stuck in the wood. The first time you hear the GRINDING noise you will FEAR the QC...

Yes the QC was a great idea but after many hours of use the 3 contact points of the 3 ball bearings will jackhammer into the bit holders and cause the bit to not be held secure and flutter.... This fluttering will cause burning of the wood doing a cut path and poor quality cutting of the patterns.

This is a known problem, since LHR is the inventor of the QC it is reluctant to change from there star invention.... when new, the QC is GREAT.... Many Woodworkers LIKE MYSELF, let a worn QC go on WAY TOO LONG before changing it and the bit flutter causes problems like the L2 coil in the Power Supply to fail and the C1 in the X Termination board to fail too....

So after long hours of use, and having 2 Rock Chucks in use, I must give credit to myself for some of the QC Problems.... Waiting too long to invest in a replacement QC and all the worn bit holders.... Because as we all know here.... A bad QC will Jack hammer dents into a Bit Holder.... Replace JUST the QC and the BAD BIT HOLDERS with the jack hammered holes will let the bit FLOP AROUND in the new QC and wear it out is a very short time.... On the other side of the coin, replace JUST A BIT HOLDER in a BAD QC and the slop in the bad QC will jack hammer new holes in the NEW bit holders in as little as one carving....

SO the answer is buy a ROCK.... OR..... Buy a new QC and a NEW Bit Holder for EVERY WORN Bit Holder and change it all at the same time...

I say you should expect about 100 hours on a QC and a set of Bit Holders.... ONE SCREW UP.... DUST, installing a bad bit holder, Cold Weather and a stiff QC..... And you cut that lifespan of the QC to hours....

Buy a ROCK... End the Madness.....

Another FREE Advice post from the folks at DigitalWoodshop, "Me, Myself, and I"...:p

Digitalwoodshop
10-12-2009, 02:21 PM
WD-40.... Excellent product....

Just remember to use is carefully... If WD-40 gets on raw wood and you try to finish it, it can develop FISH EYES... Areas of wood that will not take a finish due to the Silicone of the WD-40 having already soaked into the wood preventing the finish from soaking in....

Good Luck,

AL

Carver D
10-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I've tried some to no avail. But I'll keep trying. Where can I get a ROCK?

liquidguitars
10-14-2009, 12:09 PM
I used a flat "thin" 7/8 wrench under the spindle, hold the chuck with a rag and turn the wrench. As you turn the wrench the QC will cam up and eject the bit.

LG

Digitalwoodshop
10-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Look for any post from RJustice and look at the links in the signature.

There is a Wrench for removing the bit in your machine tools too... You can pry slightly, turn, pry slightly, turn and the bit will drop out.

AL

hogiewan
10-14-2009, 10:01 PM
I've put something over the board the protect it then used needle-nose pliers to grab the ridge on the bottom of the adapter and pull. It should pop right out, but it'll fall. Be sure to wear gloves as those bits are sharp!

rjustice
10-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I've tried some to no avail. But I'll keep trying. Where can I get a ROCK?

Hi Carver D.... My website is

www.cw-parts.com

You can find everything you need there under the "Rock chuck Items" tab.

Thank you for your interest!

Ron

Also, Thank you AL for your kind words about the Rock Chuck (AL is not on my payroll.... Honest!!!)

TerryT
10-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Nice site Ron. Everything is there!

TerryT
10-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Also, Thank you AL for your kind words about the Rock Chuck (AL is not on my payroll.... Honest!!!)

Not to worry. I have increased Al's wealth today anyway. I bought a roll of masking tape. Al owns stock ya know.

rjustice
10-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Not to worry. I have increased Al's wealth today anyway. I bought a roll of masking tape. Al owns stock ya know.

LOL.... thats a good one!... I suppose i should go ahead and invest in masking tape stocks too. :)

hmmmm.... I wonder if AL is a not-so-silent partner in 3M?

Happy Carving guys!

Ron

twiceretired
10-15-2009, 07:53 PM
I have taken the flex shaft out and used the square QC removal tool to hold the assembly from turning, and then used pliers to grip the bit adapter and wiggle it until it came loose. The outer ring has to be up in the cocked position for this to work. Of course this is to save the bit for the Rock.